extra charge for calling #2030

SOLVED
chuckxie
I'm a Participant Level 2

Can anyone help me understand why I was charger 5 dollar for calling #2030 which I had not done?

Accepted Solution

Re: extra charge for calling #2030

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@chuckxie wrote:

Can anyone help me understand why I was charger 5 dollar for calling #2030 which I had not done?

***Edited to add labels*** 

Hello Chuckxie,

Did you call any toll-free numbers around the same time? To me, it sounds like racket and unfortunately very common (see here). However, it could be a legitimate mobile directory service -- not very ethical, but legit.

Apparently, you dial the number of a common company. You get a recording, stating that the number is no longer correct and, for a corrected number, dial #2030 on your mobile phone. So you do and, from there, you get a recording, stating that this the Mobile Directory Service, and you are asked to stay on the line until an operator is available. When one arrives, you tell him/her the city and company you were looking for, voila, you get the new number. You also get the $4.99 charge on your next bill.

I'm not sure what can be done except to be extra vigilant whenever we are asked to enter digits or codes on our mobiles.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
mamzellemuguett
I'm a Participant Level 1

Same thing just happened to me twice. On my bill I was factured for 9,98$.

I remembered where I called and got transfert to the operator who then gave my the new number of the place I was calling, it was something like Services Canada a goverment service, i needed infos for getting a social security number for my daughter.

Thats bad, could you imagine how many people are calling there?

Welcome to the community @mamzellemuguett! Smiley

In order to avoid these unwanted charges in the future, we suggest:

-Not to respond to or call back unknown numbers unless the caller left them a personalized message.

-Never give out your financial information such as credit card numbers.

-Research the company online before calling back.

Cawtau
Senior MVP

@chuckxie wrote:

***Edited to add labels*** 

Hello Chuckxie,

Did you call any toll-free numbers around the same time? To me, it sounds like racket and unfortunately very common (see here). However, it could be a legitimate mobile directory service -- not very ethical, but legit.

Apparently, you dial the number of a common company. You get a recording, stating that the number is no longer correct and, for a corrected number, dial #2030 on your mobile phone. So you do and, from there, you get a recording, stating that this the Mobile Directory Service, and you are asked to stay on the line until an operator is available. When one arrives, you tell him/her the city and company you were looking for, voila, you get the new number. You also get the $4.99 charge on your next bill.

I'm not sure what can be done except to be extra vigilant whenever we are asked to enter digits or codes on our mobiles.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoPierre

Hey @chuckxie!

Did you have a chance to check out the details on your invoice?

Do you see the description of the charges for the #2030 services?