does prepaid have voicemail?

SOLVED
tn2
I'm a Contributor Level 1

i missed a call and i attempted to try checking my voicemail but it didnt work. I continuously put my 10 digit fido number and the # key but it kept saying it was incorrect. I even re-checked my number on the fido site. then the call suddenly ended and i was charged 1.60 to a call with the number 416 821 6549. Is this how its supposed to be? i have pay by the minute by the way.

Accepted Solution

Re: does prepaid have voicemail?

Solved by Moderator

Hey @tn2,

As @Cawtau mentioned, the voicemail is included with the prepaid service as well. 

However, I would like to clarify that airtime charges do apply when retrieving your messages inside the LCA as well. When outside the LCA, both airtime and long distance charges apply.

You can check it all out here (under "Using your Voice Messaging while travelling").

I'll send you a PM though, I'd like to take a closer look at your account and see what's going on with the voicemail feature Smiley

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
FidoClaudia

Hey @tn2,

As @Cawtau mentioned, the voicemail is included with the prepaid service as well. 

However, I would like to clarify that airtime charges do apply when retrieving your messages inside the LCA as well. When outside the LCA, both airtime and long distance charges apply.

You can check it all out here (under "Using your Voice Messaging while travelling").

I'll send you a PM though, I'd like to take a closer look at your account and see what's going on with the voicemail feature Smiley

tn2

so each time i call my voicemail it would charge me $1.60?? because i was in my home when i called the voicemail so i wasnt out of my LCA

tn2

do i need to have money on my account in order to set a voicemail because i dont wanna get charged again even though i am in my LCA.

@tn2 wrote:

so each time i call my voicemail it would charge me $1.60?? because i was in my home when i called the voicemail so i wasnt out of my LCA

Hello again,

You should be charged airtime for using the service while in your LCA. In your case, that would be 40¢ per minute. Were you connected for four minutes?

@tn2 wrote:

do i need to have money on my account in order to set a voicemail because i dont wanna get charged again even though i am in my LCA.

I imagine that you would need to have money on your account. It would be the same as if you were trying to make a call. Unfortunately, using the service from your cellular phone will result in airtime charges +/- LD charges. As far as I am aware, if you listen to your messages from a landline there are no charges. However, I am not sure if one can set up their voicemail from a landline as well.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

why don't you just call in and ask for your voice mail box to be disconnected if its too much of a hassle and save some money?  if people really want to reach you they might as well text you, no? i find more and more people when they call me and get my voice mail they hang up and send a text message to me indicating what they wanted. im just saying, times have changed

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Tn2,

Yes, the prepaid plans do include voicemail (see here). Have you set up your voicemail? You can refer to this page for how to do so.

tn2 wrote:

...then the call suddenly ended and i was charged 1.60 to a call with the number 416 821 6549. ...

That number is the voicemail retrieval number. There are no long distance charges for calling this number on the Fido network while you are in your Local Calling Area (LCA), even if the number is from a different province.

You should note that accessing your voicemail does incur airtime charges and possibly long-distance charges if you are accessing it outside of your LCA.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers