data usage??

data usage??

data usage??

SOLVED
Spanninga
I'm a Participant Level 2

data usage??

Hi
New Fido iPhone user.     I am nearing my data  limit and still have two weeks til next cycle.  I wasn't told at first that if I am using my own home WiFi that I won't use any Data, so I used a lot in my first two days!
I am now fully connected to my home Wifi, but I notice my usage is still creeping up, very slowly, but it is still going up.
Yet I haven't left home.
How is data being used if I am connected to Wifi?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Accepted Solution

Re: data usage??

Solved by Fido Employee Spy2300
Hello Spanninga,

First off welcome to the forums! You are correct that when you use WiFi on your cell phone it is NOT using the available data from your plan. You can chose to connect to any available open WiFi network. When you are using WiFi you should not notice your data usage going up. If it is what may be happening is your phone may be dropping the WiFi signal (weak signal). That could be the only thing I can think of. Hope that helps to answer your question.
View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
cassalice
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi!

I just wanted to advise you to make sure that it has the most recent OS.

I found out in an apple forum and from another die-hard apple user that when IOS 6.0 came out, there was a small batch of them that had a problem differentiating between WIFI and cellular data. They later came out with an update to fix this problem. So just to remind you to do a check for updates every month or so Smiley

Cassandra

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue.
*** I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates. Je suis un employé de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Fido ou d’une société de son groupe. ***
Spy2300
Fido Employee

Hello Spanninga,

First off welcome to the forums! You are correct that when you use WiFi on your cell phone it is NOT using the available data from your plan. You can chose to connect to any available open WiFi network. When you are using WiFi you should not notice your data usage going up. If it is what may be happening is your phone may be dropping the WiFi signal (weak signal). That could be the only thing I can think of. Hope that helps to answer your question.

Spanninga
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thank you!

Another quick question then?    How do I stop all Data usage when I am away from home?   Say I go out to the store and don't use any Data, how do I stop all Data from being used?  I notice that when I take the phone out, even if I don't use the phone at all but its on, the Data usage goes up a little bit, so some is being used when I am away from home.

Thanks for your help!

Hello again,

What you can do to turn of all data is:
Settings > General > Cellular (it will say network if its Iphone 5) > Cellular Data > Off