data consumed very quickly - very curious

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

data consumed very quickly - very curious

i received a text message saying i'd consumed three quarters of my 6GB plan and was very surprised. although i do tether a bit and use my iphone a lot, i'd never come close to using all of my monthly plan. then i started using data very carefully - and today i receive a message saying i've gone OVER the limit.  it really cannot be.  anyone have any clue about this?  i'd like to see some details about how/when this data was supposedly consumed.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1

Re: data consumed very quickly - very curious

You tether and you're surprised you use a lot of data? 

Does your PC run Windows? A few system updates and there goes a few GB.  Watch YouTube?  there goes 100 MB a minute. And so on. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted

thanks for your extremely helpful answer, midtoad.  my tethering has not differed in usage this month from months previous when i used only 1-2G. and youtube does not consume anywhere close to 100mb/minute - it's more like 2-10.  again, thanks. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2
I'm a Contributor Level 2

I would suggest downloading some sort of widget for your computer that can monitor your bandwitdh.

I did so earlier this month and I was rather surprised by the amount of bandwitch I use.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

On the computer that you are tethering with your iPhone, have you installed any new programs in recent months or are you using Skype or any internet sharing programs such as Torrent? Another possibility is someone has gained access to your computer and doing more than you are aware.

Also Youtube vas a variable data rate consumption, depending on the source. Some are high quality.

Maybe Fido network speed has increased in the area that you live in. Just a possibility, since they are always trying to improve services. Use the free Speedtest.net App to check your network speed.

I agree with "midtoad" on the usefulness of a monitor of some kind to actually see the data transfer rates to you computer.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

I meant "undergrad" sorry Sad
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Windows / Microsoft update also downloads lots of data when its set to "automatic" download of updates.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1
I'm a Contributor Level 1

The details of how much data was used on each day is generally displayed on your monthly invoice. I believe it's on page 6.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted

Is Fido aware of the recent issue with Yahoo! I wonder?

http://wpcentral.com/yahoo-bug-not-windows-phone-exclusive

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 9