contract ending, what now? prepaid questions

SOLVED
morippe
I'm a Participant Level 1

My 2 yr contract is ending soon and through these years I learned I barely use my phone at all, so I've been overpaying alot.

This is my first time going on a contract and sticking it out, so sorry if this has been asked before I tried looking around before posting.

When my contract ends in a few days I want to know a few things:

1) What happens to my phone? Is the phone mine after the contract is over? or do I have to pay for it?

2) So after the contract period is over it goes month-to-month? Can I switch it to a prepaid plan?

3) The prepaid plans dont have monthly fees do they? sometimes I can go 2 months or more without using my phone at all, so I find it very wasteful to be paying 50+ every month for a service I never utilized.

4) Is it possible to just top my phone up with say a $10 card whenever I think I will be using it then leave it for a month or so without a balance?

I guess if the prepaid plans don't work like they used to I might just cancel my service all together, but I also want to know if I cancel everything do I keep the phone after the contract is up? If so can it be reactivated by either FIDO or another company for use at another time?

thank you

Accepted Solution

Re: contract ending, what now? prepaid questions

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Morippe,

Welcome to the community!

1) The end of your contract signifies the end of your phone subsidy, meaning the phone is now yours. You already paid for it as a part of your monthly payments. However, you should note that your phone would be still locked to the Fido network.

2) That is correct, after the contract period is over, your account switches to a monthly basis. Yes, you can switch to a prepaid plan.

3) Some of the prepaid plans do have monthly fees (By the Month), or daily fees (By the Day), or no fees (By the Minute). You can get more information about Prepaid plans here.

4) You can just top up your phone as needed, however, you should note that any monies in your account can expire after a certain amount of time. The $10, $20 and $30 vouchers provide access to the network for up to 30 days from date added to the account; $50 vouchers for up to 60 days; $100 vouchers for up to 365 days.

If you don’t refill your account before the balance expiry date, any remaining balance in your account will expire and be lost. You’ll no longer be able to use your phone except for emergency 911 calls. However, you can restore your expired balance if you refill within 7 days of the expiry date (see full details in above link).

If you feel the service doesn't suit your needs, you can cancel your service altogether. Reactivating your phone at a later date with Fido would likely require another SIM and you wouldn't be able to keep your current phone number. If you chose a different company, you would need to unlock your phone first.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Morippe,

Welcome to the community!

1) The end of your contract signifies the end of your phone subsidy, meaning the phone is now yours. You already paid for it as a part of your monthly payments. However, you should note that your phone would be still locked to the Fido network.

2) That is correct, after the contract period is over, your account switches to a monthly basis. Yes, you can switch to a prepaid plan.

3) Some of the prepaid plans do have monthly fees (By the Month), or daily fees (By the Day), or no fees (By the Minute). You can get more information about Prepaid plans here.

4) You can just top up your phone as needed, however, you should note that any monies in your account can expire after a certain amount of time. The $10, $20 and $30 vouchers provide access to the network for up to 30 days from date added to the account; $50 vouchers for up to 60 days; $100 vouchers for up to 365 days.

If you don’t refill your account before the balance expiry date, any remaining balance in your account will expire and be lost. You’ll no longer be able to use your phone except for emergency 911 calls. However, you can restore your expired balance if you refill within 7 days of the expiry date (see full details in above link).

If you feel the service doesn't suit your needs, you can cancel your service altogether. Reactivating your phone at a later date with Fido would likely require another SIM and you wouldn't be able to keep your current phone number. If you chose a different company, you would need to unlock your phone first.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers