confused by switching plans

Service interruption

We sincerely apologize to our customers. Especially during these times, we know connectivity is critical and are working hard to restore services for customers who continue to experience wireless interruptions. Residential wireline internet services are not impacted. We will continue to provide updates. Please follow this thread for updates.

SOLVED
Dmcc
I'm a Participant Level 1

I just got off the phone with a FIDO consultant and am very confused. I received recently an email from FIDO an offer to 'switch to this exclusive Fido Pulse plan' and called to see if it might be a better choice for me. I was told that I can only switch, however, to a plan in the same tier as I am currently - which is apparently Max - and that I'm unable to switch plans without penalty until my contract runs out. I had no intention of leaving Fido, just wanted to look into options. I asked where in my online account info details can be found re. when the contract ends and was pointed to the section that shows where my Apple device can be upgraded (April 2017). If that's the case, it would be helpful if it was clearly stated that date applies to the contract as well, as upgrading my device and upgrading a plan would seem to be two distinctly different pieces of information. But that the primary confusion is that I was told that plans can be changed (within tiers but not across tiers) but contracts can't without penalty - which left me even more confused as I was calling about the plan, received in the email offer from Fido. Types of plans, switching/upgrading plans vs. devices: I'd like to understand how this all works. I left Telus many years ago feeling disrespected and unvalued because the plans being offered to new customers were  less expensive and more flexible than the one that I was tied into as a long term loyal customer - and am now starting to wonder if the same thing is going on with Fido.

****Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: confused by switching plans

Solved by Former Moderator FidoRanya

Hey @Dmcc

Thanks for reaching out about this, I'll try to make this as clear as possible. 

Let's take the iPhone 6s as an example. The iPhone 6s is offered on a Plus10 , a Plus15 , a Plus25 ( promo plan) and a Plus35 plan. Depending on the plan you take, the price of the device will be different. Let's say you decide to go for the $70 Plus15 plan, the phone will be $389. If you decide to take the Plus25 $80 plan, the device will be $99. 

Now, in the long run, if you want to change your plan, you will have to stick to the category you initially chose since you got a different subsidy on the device. It wouldn't be fair to pay $99 for the phone on a Plus25 plan, and after a few months change for the Plus15 plan. That being because you got to pay a lower price for the device. The price of the device is directly linked to your plan. 

Once your contract is over, you are free to choose the plan of your choice! 

Does this make more sense? 

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@Dmcc the date for your next eligible hardware upgrade is always at the end of your contract if you see no date it means you are not in a contract so the two goes hand in hand.

If you are in a contract Fido lets you change your plan at anytime to a different plan in the same tier, if the new plan you want to get is in a different tier then you will have to pay a fee and the fee can be paying out the remainder of your contract.

Hey @Dmcc

Thanks for reaching out about this, I'll try to make this as clear as possible. 

Let's take the iPhone 6s as an example. The iPhone 6s is offered on a Plus10 , a Plus15 , a Plus25 ( promo plan) and a Plus35 plan. Depending on the plan you take, the price of the device will be different. Let's say you decide to go for the $70 Plus15 plan, the phone will be $389. If you decide to take the Plus25 $80 plan, the device will be $99. 

Now, in the long run, if you want to change your plan, you will have to stick to the category you initially chose since you got a different subsidy on the device. It wouldn't be fair to pay $99 for the phone on a Plus25 plan, and after a few months change for the Plus15 plan. That being because you got to pay a lower price for the device. The price of the device is directly linked to your plan. 

Once your contract is over, you are free to choose the plan of your choice! 

Does this make more sense?