charged multiple times over one text message. prepaid $100 voucher

SOLVED
Kangta
I'm a Participant Level 1

I switched the phone provider from Freedom mobile to Fido yesterday and signed up for the pay by the minute plan. It supposed to charge only $0.30 per text msg but I got multiple times overcharged. Just sent 6 msg to one person but fido charged 11 times instead of 6. well.... I see some ppl already had the same issue as me but dont see that anyone got solved their problem with fido. I'm wondering...is It going to be like this whenever I send text msg? hope someone can help me with this matter and reverse those overcharged $ also make sure that this issue is not going to happen

Accepted Solution

Re: charged multiple times over one text message. prepaid $100 voucher

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Kangta,

Welcome to the community!

What you're describing is not a faulty issue. It's completely normal. It happens because of the nature of SMS.

The SMS or texting protocol is strictly limited to 140 bytes. Generally, that often translates to 140 characters. However, the characters of some languages (such as Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, or Cyrillic alphabet languages (ie Russian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Bulgarian, etc)) contain more bits -- or information -- per character thereby reducing the number of allowable characters per SMS to 70. Similarly, the use of emojis will also limit the number of characters to 70 per SMS.

Most modern devices allow for longer, multi-part or segmented SMS. What you compose as a single message, is broken up into smaller individual SMSs. For technical reasons, the number of characters allowable in each segment is slightly less than what is allowable for a single SMS. However, the exact number of allowed characters is not important for this discussion. If you're interested in the details, you can search for the nitty-gritty yourself.

Once your message exceeds a certain character count, it will automatically convert to a multi-part SMS. Each segment of a long SMS is sent and billed separately as equivalent to individual messages. In fact, if you send a long SMS to someone with an older phone, they will receive multiple individual texts. It is only the more modern devices which are capable of reintegrating the segments into a single message. Since each segment is sent at the same time, it appears as though you're getting charged multiple times for the same text. However, the charges are actually for each individual portion of the message.

If you do not wish to send these long SMS, you could monitor the number of characters of the messages you send. If your character count looks like it is larger than 140 or 70 characters, it's possible your phone has configured the maximum number of characters allowed for its maximum number of SMS segments. Depending on your phone, there may be settings to prevent multi-part SMS.

If multi-part SMS is the reason for those charges, you will unlikely get those charges reversed as they are charged appropriately.

Note that this scenario is different than sending multiple texts of the same text.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Kangta,

Welcome to the community!

What you're describing is not a faulty issue. It's completely normal. It happens because of the nature of SMS.

The SMS or texting protocol is strictly limited to 140 bytes. Generally, that often translates to 140 characters. However, the characters of some languages (such as Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, or Cyrillic alphabet languages (ie Russian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Bulgarian, etc)) contain more bits -- or information -- per character thereby reducing the number of allowable characters per SMS to 70. Similarly, the use of emojis will also limit the number of characters to 70 per SMS.

Most modern devices allow for longer, multi-part or segmented SMS. What you compose as a single message, is broken up into smaller individual SMSs. For technical reasons, the number of characters allowable in each segment is slightly less than what is allowable for a single SMS. However, the exact number of allowed characters is not important for this discussion. If you're interested in the details, you can search for the nitty-gritty yourself.

Once your message exceeds a certain character count, it will automatically convert to a multi-part SMS. Each segment of a long SMS is sent and billed separately as equivalent to individual messages. In fact, if you send a long SMS to someone with an older phone, they will receive multiple individual texts. It is only the more modern devices which are capable of reintegrating the segments into a single message. Since each segment is sent at the same time, it appears as though you're getting charged multiple times for the same text. However, the charges are actually for each individual portion of the message.

If you do not wish to send these long SMS, you could monitor the number of characters of the messages you send. If your character count looks like it is larger than 140 or 70 characters, it's possible your phone has configured the maximum number of characters allowed for its maximum number of SMS segments. Depending on your phone, there may be settings to prevent multi-part SMS.

If multi-part SMS is the reason for those charges, you will unlikely get those charges reversed as they are charged appropriately.

Note that this scenario is different than sending multiple texts of the same text.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers