celular data over used by note 4

SOLVED
Jafar58
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi.
I have a new Samsung note 4 since October 2015 and haven't had any issue regarding the data usage till this month december,that I found out that my all 6 gigs data has been used even though I set my phone wifi on at all the time and didn't expect to see that my 6 gig data finished at mid of month.I need help to set up my phone to use wifi only when it conceded to,but not the celular data then,please.
Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: celular data over used by note 4

Solved by I'm Qualified Level 2

I suggest you start by seeing which app is using that much data: go to Settings, Data usage. Scroll down to see which app uses how much data (and note if that is foreground or background usage). If a single app is using a lot of data, you should concentrate your efforts on taming that app first (perhaps deleting that app if needed). Note that from that screen, you can prevent that single app from using background cellular data.

As for being on WiFi, it's possible that your phone does not keep WiFi on when the device is sleeping. Go to Settings, Wi-Fi, (3-dot menu button), Advanced. Look for Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep.

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
Aj76
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Hi jafar,

To me seeing you have 6 GB drained out that fast means someone close in range is accessing your phone data via Personal Hotspot, perhaps you want to check if you have Personal Hotspot is enabled with a Pass key, lots of end users take the phone out of the box and forget or they don't know that they come with a default pass key and the majority of people knows what the default pass key is.

good luck. happy holiday.

Jafar58

H AJ.

I have my hot spot disabled and have regurarly checked my data usages as well.

i can say the only reason which caused my data over had used is that my phone automatically has swithch from wifi in to my cellular data when it was weak and therefore its basically used my data at some places which i use wifi( but weak)and it used my cell data then.

any way thank you for suggestion and happy holiday to you too,

Jafar58

Thanks guys (Z&C).
Appriciciated.
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Jafar58,

Welcome to the forums!

In addition to what @zyx mentioned above, you also might check to see whether download booster is enabled and consider disabling it, if enabled. It uses both Wifi and data to increase download speeds for large files.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

I suggest you start by seeing which app is using that much data: go to Settings, Data usage. Scroll down to see which app uses how much data (and note if that is foreground or background usage). If a single app is using a lot of data, you should concentrate your efforts on taming that app first (perhaps deleting that app if needed). Note that from that screen, you can prevent that single app from using background cellular data.

As for being on WiFi, it's possible that your phone does not keep WiFi on when the device is sleeping. Go to Settings, Wi-Fi, (3-dot menu button), Advanced. Look for Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep.