can't receive/dropped calls and texts

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1 Fileb68
I'm a Participant Level 1

can't receive/dropped calls and texts

This is a reoccurring problem I have to turn on and off my Iphone 7, several times a day.  When It turns back on, I notice that I have messages from calls I did not get. I receive multiple copies of texts from firends. This has been going on for some time now. I have reported the issue on NETWORKAID and network always apear to be working normally. This type of Normal is annoying. Missing or dropped calls calls is not for my business. For texts, I have to hit resend multiple times before they go through, even when i'm sitting at home and receiving full wi-fi signal. Sometimes it sends and I get "failed " messages. So I sometimes get a message back from the client asking if I'm mad.

Other times i'm getting ''no service'' I have to reset the device again. And this is while being in the middle of the city of Edmundston. Where service should be optimal. Looking at my wife's phone, she is getting full bars on hers (I must say that she is not on Fido network)  

I got this device from a Fido store about 6 mounths ago. So I have a new device. Nevertheless, the thought that my device was defective did cross my mind, so I switched sim cards with my wife's Iphone and i'm getting the same issues.

This being said, by process of elimination, Fido is the problem of my unaceptable issues. This cell cervice is getting worst from day to day.  

Accepted Solution

Re: can't receive/dropped calls and texts

Hello Fileb68,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your cellular service. Is your phone enabled for Wifi-calling?

@Fileb68 wrote:... For texts, I have to hit resend multiple times before they go through, even when i'm sitting at home and receiving full wi-fi signal....  

Unless your phone has Wifi-calling enabled, text messages (SMS or MMS) will only get transmitted over the mobile networks. Unlike iMessages, they do not get transmitted via Wifi.

With any provider, coverage depends -- among other things -- on a phone's location relative to their cellular towers. In addition, network coverage depends on the bands/frequencies available at those cellular towers. It appears as though there is only one cellular tower in the city capable of voice and messages (2G and '3G').

Edmundston.jpg

Taken from here.

I understand the screen capture shows two Rogers cellular towers; however, it appears the northern tower is only set for LTE (band 4 or 1700/2100MHz). You can view the available bands/frequencies by clicking on the individual towers from the link provided. Assuming your phone is not set-up for Wifi-calling, coverage for voice and messages would vary depending on your location within the city.

If you are outside of Fido/Rogers coverage (but within another provider's coverage), your phone might connect to extended coverage (as Fido-EXT). However, your phone might not connect to Fido-EXT if it is receiving some Fido/Rogers signal. You might be able to manually switch to Fido-EXT. You should note, though, extended coverage usage is only meant on a temporary basis. The majority of usage needs to be on the Fido/Rogers networks.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
MVP
MVP
Solution

Hello Fileb68,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your cellular service. Is your phone enabled for Wifi-calling?

@Fileb68 wrote:... For texts, I have to hit resend multiple times before they go through, even when i'm sitting at home and receiving full wi-fi signal....  

Unless your phone has Wifi-calling enabled, text messages (SMS or MMS) will only get transmitted over the mobile networks. Unlike iMessages, they do not get transmitted via Wifi.

With any provider, coverage depends -- among other things -- on a phone's location relative to their cellular towers. In addition, network coverage depends on the bands/frequencies available at those cellular towers. It appears as though there is only one cellular tower in the city capable of voice and messages (2G and '3G').

Edmundston.jpg

Taken from here.

I understand the screen capture shows two Rogers cellular towers; however, it appears the northern tower is only set for LTE (band 4 or 1700/2100MHz). You can view the available bands/frequencies by clicking on the individual towers from the link provided. Assuming your phone is not set-up for Wifi-calling, coverage for voice and messages would vary depending on your location within the city.

If you are outside of Fido/Rogers coverage (but within another provider's coverage), your phone might connect to extended coverage (as Fido-EXT). However, your phone might not connect to Fido-EXT if it is receiving some Fido/Rogers signal. You might be able to manually switch to Fido-EXT. You should note, though, extended coverage usage is only meant on a temporary basis. The majority of usage needs to be on the Fido/Rogers networks.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

also get new sim will help, confirm apn settings, make sure wifi calling and volte is enabled.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3