can't activate voice mail

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2 Rzr
I'm a Participant Level 2

can't activate voice mail

I'm a new Fido member.  I've followed the instructions for activating my voicemail, included in my pay-as-you-go plan.  When I dial the voicemail retrieval phone number, and enter my 10-digit Fido phone number as requested, the Fido voicemail system tells me my phone number is not recognized.  I've tried a few times, to make sure the numbers entered are correct, all with the same response.  Why is this happening?  Also, by the way, the link for the video demonstrating how to set up voicemail on the Support page is broken. 

Accepted Solution

Re: can't activate voice mail

thanks for the response. 

I tried the two different vm retrieval numbers provided by my Fido retailer, with the same result.  But I did get vm to work by going through the tech support automated service ... it seems my pay-as-you-go account had free vm included, but it just wasn't activated (??).  So now it works and shows up on my online account's "add-ons" summary page.  Oddly, the free call display, call waiting and call forwarding add-ons DON'T appear to be activated for my account.  So: any advice on how to activate these?

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

@Rzr,

Can you confirm 2 things for me please? Firstly, call your cell number from a different number, and is it going to voice mail after 20 seconds?

Secondly, try pressing and holding the 1 speed dial key to call your voicemail. sometimes you could be mistakenly calling a different node, that you are not provisioned on, because there are multiple vm retreival numbers, some incompatible with one another, the only way to dial the right one is to press and hold 1, as this is provisioned by the switch with the correct number for your node.

Be sure to click likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
I'm a Participant Level 2 Rzr
I'm a Participant Level 2
Solution

thanks for the response. 

I tried the two different vm retrieval numbers provided by my Fido retailer, with the same result.  But I did get vm to work by going through the tech support automated service ... it seems my pay-as-you-go account had free vm included, but it just wasn't activated (??).  So now it works and shows up on my online account's "add-ons" summary page.  Oddly, the free call display, call waiting and call forwarding add-ons DON'T appear to be activated for my account.  So: any advice on how to activate these?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

@Rzr,

I believe those are not "add-ons" and must be fixed by a Care Representative or a Technical Support representative.

Try phoning in and see if they can resolve it?

Be sure to click likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
Fido Employee FidoCristina
Fido Employee

Hey everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it Smiley 

There is a unique voicemail retrieval number now which is +1-416-821-6549, it is not long distance for any Fido customer in Canada.

You can find more details on voicemail here.

Hope it helps!

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5