caller id shows a 1 in front of my new 437 number

snorlax141
Fido Employee

I have two fido LG G3 phones.  One with a 416 number and one with a new 437 number.  Both are local Toronto numbers.  When I receive calls from these phones at home (in 905), the 416 number is displayed as 416 xxx xxxx while the 437 number is displayed as 1 437 xxx xxxx.  The extra 1 won't allow a direct call back because the 1 is not required for a local call from a land line phone.  How do I fix this? 

10 REPLIES 10
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Snorlax141,

Welcome to the community!

**edit* deleted because information posted was incorrect as per Paolo below**

Cheers

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

Hey guys, I am interpreting snorlax141's post differently.

He mentioned when he calls from ONE of his cellphones TO HIS HOME (905) so im interpreting that he is placing a call from his CELL to his LANDLINE, He sees the 1 infront of the incoming number, ON HIS HOME CALL DISPLAY.  He might possibly be with a provider like Bell Canada for home phone, which as far as I'm aware, to call local numbers you can NOT place the 1 infront of a local exchange or the call will not go thru.

Since this is happening on his phone with 437 area code and 437 is indeed a Toronto 416 overlay, it is a valid problem.  His landline needs to receive the incoming call display WITHOUT the 1 prefix, its possible since the 437 area code is so new, its likely Fido's basic health check for new exchanges does not normally test for the Caller ID length on landline exchanges.

Paulo,

You have it correct.  From a 437 cell to a Bell 905 home phone.  Both a Vtech and Panasonic home phone at the 905 number show the extra one.  Calls from my other 416 cell do not show the extra one.  So what is the concensus?  Is it likely a Bell problem because 437 is a new Toronto local number?  I just expect fido, bell, vtech and panasonic to all pass the buck and say it is the other guys problem.

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

Well technically, Fido has a responsibility to ensure your Caller ID is transmitting correctly to the Local Exchange Carrier, in this case Bell Canada, and they ARE indeed transmitting it correctly, FOR ONE of your lines, for the OTHER line, they are NOT transmitting it correctly, because BOTH numbers are considered LOCAL to the exchange you are calling, there should NEVER be a need to include a 1 in the Call ID to the local exchange, this is something you must report to Fido, for them to open a ticket with their network engineers and have this issue resolved.  Even if its not an issue on Fido's end, but maybe with a vendor or Fido's parent company Rogers, its still important for you to report the issue and have a ticket created, otherwise this issue will not be fixed,  It might also be worth noting that this may not be entirely an issue with the new area code, it could also be an issue which may be specific to a particular cell site (Node B), radio network controller (RNC), or other equipment along the path. 

Thanks Paulo,

I will report this to fido and report back with the results.

Hey snorlax141!

Let's take a closer look at that. 

I'll send you a PM shortly. 

Thanks the update, snorlax141!

Called fido and the only solution they had was to change my number.  They did this for me and the problem is solved.  They are looking into the issue for future complaints of this type.

Paolo wrote:...He might possibly be with a provider like Bell Canada for home phone, which as far as I'm aware, to call local numbers you can NOT place the 1 infront of a local exchange or the call will not go thru....

Hello Paolo,

I did not realise that Bell Canada does not allow the 1 for local calls. Thanks for the info!

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@snorlax141 Who is your home phone with? Did you save the 437 number as a contact in your in your home phone? For me when I call my home phone my number shows up as +1 416 which is normal.

On the phone with the 437 number try clearing the cache for the dialer app and see if the problem gets corrected.