bad signal at home in north york

gsmama
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I have lived at the same locationn for the past six years and my cell phone is my only home phone. Up until 4 months ago I never had a problem with the signal on my phone - always had 3 or 4 bars. For the past 4 months I only get 1 bar and sometimes 2 so I am limited to using my phone outside only in order to get a stronger signal or standing right at the front door. This is my home phone so this is not going to work for me.

I have a talk and text plan only so it was suggested I update my phone. Yesterday I updated to a Samsung A5 and renewed my 'tab' for 23 months - not a good decision. I get home and yep, still only getting 1 or 2 bars.

I don't understand why this started happening after 5 1/2 years ....... has the tower been moved?

I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on a cell phone booster unit that may or may not work, nor do I want to pay hundreds of dollars for an iPhone so I can use WiFi calling - any suggestions anyone?

If I hadn't renewed my plan yesterday I would cancel my service all together and go to another provider. Really unhappy customer here........ 12 years with Fido and suddenly I'm having signal issues.

11 REPLIES 11
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Gsmama,

I remember you mentioned you were having reception issues, here

I understand you are still only getting 1 or 2 bars with your new phone. However, are you able to make and receive calls with your new phone?

The Samsung A5 is an LTE phone. Normally, the phone would standby connected to the LTE network until a call is made or received. When a call is in progress, the phone would then swtich to the 2G or '3G' networks. It is not unusual for the signal strength to be less when connected to the LTE network because the penetrative ability of the higher frequencies used is less than those used by the 2G or '3G' networks.

That's all a little technical, I know. If you have no interest in using you phone for data (ie talk and text plan only), you might consider changing your network setting from GSM/UMTS(WCDMA)/LTE autoconnect to GSM/UMTS(WCDMA) autoconnect. The signal strength might show more bars. 

Are your family members also having reception issues when they visit you? The cellular towers are not likely to have moved, however, it's possible there are new buildings between the towers and your location which are causing interference. You can get an idea of where the cellular towers are in your surrounding area here

If you do have to resort to some kinde of Wifi calling, there are other apps available for android.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

gsmama

Finally found the network mode screen - it's on GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto connect)  right now - the options allowed are GSM/HSPA (auto connect)  or GSM only or HSPA only - if I switch to GSM/HSPA does this mean I'm using data? do you think this would help?

@gsmama wrote:

Finally found the network mode screen - it's on GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto connect)  right now - the options allowed are GSM/HSPA (auto connect)  or GSM only or HSPA only - if I switch to GSM/HSPA does this mean I'm using data? do you think this would help?

Hello again,

The GSM/HSPA (auto connect) would be the setting you want.

Technically HSPA is the data protocol for the UMTS (WCDMA) or '3G' network. However, some phone manufacturers and phone companies use the terms interchangeably, so HSPA would just refer to the '3G' network.

While the HSPA does imply data, voice calls are transmitted via the 2G and '3G' networks so it would be better to have access to both networks for calls. Additionally, the power output for the '3G' signals would be higher than that for 2G signals so the HSPA setting would likely provide stronger signals.

**edit** The HSPA setting would allow your phone to use data, but it doesn't mean it will use data. You do make a good point, though. Since most functions on smart phones require regular access to data, you might consider keeping data off or restricting data on all of your apps. With data on, you will constantly receive text messages asking you to purchase data passes.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

gsmama

So after trying all suggestions I still get no more than 2 bars for the signal no matter where I am in my home so basically I have to go outside to talk on my cell phone - this doesn't work for me.

I've had anothe Fido user with a better phone check the signal in my home as well as a Bell Mobility customer and they can't get any better signal than I do either. So it's definitely the signal problem here - after 6 years with no issues.

Unfortunately I signed up for another 24 months 2 weeks ago thinking a new phone might solve the problem so I'm stuck with Fido but being a senior citizen living alone, I have to have reliable phone service so I've had to go back to having a landline from Bell after 12+ years of cell phone only. So in effect Fido has cost me another $40 a month in telephone service due to the fact I don't have a reliable signal at home. Thanks for nothing Fido.

Hello again,

I'm sorry to hear you're not able to get adequate signal at your home. I understand it is frustrating, however I'm not sure how it's Fido's fault. As mentioned previously, there are many factors which can affect cellular signal. Unfortunately, that is just the nature of cellular phones. You also noted that the Bell mobility customer is also unable to get reliable signal in your home. There has obviously been increased interference between your location and the cellular tower(s) -- likely new building(s). Any new construction would be out of any mobile company's control.

I understand only 2 bars might seem like weak signal, but were you able to make/receive calls? Sometimes we get fixated on the visual signal strength (ie number of bars) rather than the functional strength (ie can we actually use it). For example with my phone, I routinely only get 1 bar of LTE signal at my location. However, I have no issues using data. Yes, voice calls may be different than data, but the premise is the same. Two bars could have been adequate for calls. Perhaps you weren't able to make/receive calls in your home -- you only noted the number of bars.

Regardless, I am glad you have a more reliable option with the landline. 

Cheers

HSPA means 4G which is a Data network try it with GSM/HSPA if you still have problems try GSM only.

Reboot after you change it.

gsmama

Can you send me step by step instructions for my phone on how to switch networks as you mentioned - I have found the network icon on the new phone but it only lets me select or unselect the icon network - it doesn't lead me to any other menu to select networks - I can't even check to see what network I'm using

Hello,

I just sent you a PM with a guide.

Cheers

1. Find "Network mode"

Slide your finger down the display starting from the top edge of your mobile phone.
Tap THE SETTINGS ICON.
1-4393545.png
Tap More networks.
Tap Mobile networks.
Tap Network mode.

Or for step by step with pictures see here.

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@gsmama You do have 15 days satisfaction guarantee. With that being said you never had this problem only until a few months ago do you know if this happens only with your Fido line or does it also happen with other phones maybe a friend with a different carrier? 

gsmama

15 day satisfaction guarantee - hahahahahaha - you forgot the 30 minute usage - tell me anyone who only uses only 30 inutes in 15 days - what a joke!

It's only Fido phones that have this problem - my roommate has a Bell cellular phone and she has no problems. Believe me I've checked everything - it's Fido signal that is the problem.