bad service reception

bad service reception

bad service reception

gsmama
I'm a Contributor Level 1

bad service reception

I live in North York (Toronto) and I've been at same address for 5 years but starting a month ago I started having signal/reception problems with my phone. It will randomly lose the signal I think - can't tell because there's no message on my phone to indicate a problem but people can't get through to my line - it goes directly to voicemail if it's a call and texts do not come to the phone. Occasionally I'll get a notation 'Emergency calls only'. When this happens I have to restart the phone and it works ok.

I've called Fido, been to the Fido store (they were useless), Fido 611 reset my phone from their end and I restarted it as well. I also went to the Samsung service centre and they can find no issue with my phone so the problem has to be the signal strength. I don't' understand why this has suddenly started happening after 5 years in the exact same location and with my phone that is 2 years old here.

I do not have a land line and I'm a senior so it's not a good thing that I am out of touch with my family. Twice now they've driven to my home (1 hour drive for them either way) as they couldnt reach me and they were alarmed.

I can't switch carriers as the whole family - 6 users are all on Fido so I'm going to try a signal booster from Best Buy and hope it works. I have to try the $200+ cost of a signal booster first before I change providers as this will cost me much more in the long run - no more Fido to Fido same account calls free anytime.

Very, very, very unhappy with Fido right now - I've been a loyal customer for over 15 years and I can't believe there isnt anything they can offer me or help me with this issue.

4 REPLIES 4
FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Hey gsmama! 

Welcome to the Community! Smiley 

Does this happen only at your home or everywhere in North York and does this happen both indoors and ourdoors? Also, have you tried your SIM card in another phone? 

Let me know! 

gsmama
I'm a Contributor Level 1

It happens only in my home - it's fine everywhere else. I have lived here for 5 years and never had a problem just the last month or so this has been happening.

@gsmama wrote:

It happens only in my home - it's fine everywhere else. I have lived here for 5 years and never had a problem just the last month or so this has been happening.

Hello Gsmama,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with reception at home. Can I ask what part of North York you live, generally? I am doubtful that Fido/Rogers would intentionally reduce coverage to any area. Therefore, one possibility is that there is increased interference between the existing cell towers and your location. Are there any new buildings being constructed in your area? A new building between the tower and your house could account for the new development of reception issues.

Additionally, you mentioned that your whole family are Fido customers. Do they also have reception issues when they visit you? If they do not have any problems with reception at your house, then it would suggest the issue might be with the phone itself. I understand that Samsung service noted no issues with the phone, but some problems could be location specific. On the other hand, if all of them are having reception issues at your home, then it is possible that there is added interference as mentioned above.

Hope some of this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey gsmama, 

Do you mind to tell me what model your phone is?