ZTE WF720: Odd behavior when select callers go straight to voicemail

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

ZTE WF720: Odd behavior when select callers go straight to voicemail

Though this is a known issue, I have noticed some very specific odd behavior when my wireless home phone service goes straight to voicemail without ringing first. I have tried troubleshooting the ZTE WF720 device by getting missed callers to call back after I reboot the unit and/or switch the connected phone. The problem persists.

1. Consistently a Rogers home phone customer always goes to voicemail. The caller hears 4 or 5 rings but my connected phone(s) do not ring. Occassionsly a Wind Mobile customer has the same issue as do other callers.

2. When a missed call goes straight to voicemail, both the battery and signal strength indicators first go orange, turn off, and then the battery indicator comes back on as orange, changes to green and stays on before the signal indicator follows the same sequence. This does not occur for incoming voicemail calls that ring first.

3. Once the battery and signal indicators are both green, the voicemail indicator will start flashing to indicate a message.

4. Typically, calls that go to voicemail are not recorded/saved on the Caller ID (CID) list on my attached home phone.

I have been a Fido customer since 2006 and wonder whether something related to my services has been deleted or archived by Fido on the premise that they are old and not used by any existing customers. Something like this occurred on my cell service recently when all incoming calls were displayed as "unknown caller." The problem was eventually resolved by Fido technician.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 15
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

Re: ZTE WF720: Odd behavior when select callers go straight to voicemail

Hi, I have the same problem starting recently. I called my Parent's ZTE home phone and it never ring, while I heard ringing at my end. There is no problem with any other phones (phone numbers) that call into this ZTE home phone to make it ring, but only my phone number. I have tried reboot their ZTE and still the same. I took the ZTE phone back to my place and test it. I noticed when I called, although the ZTE phone doesn't ring, at about the 7th "ring", the ZTE voice message light turns on to green, battery and signal lights turns orange (all briefly for about 1 second), and then the call get dis-connected. It looks as if the phone call gets forward into voicemail mode (we have de-activated voicemail feature). This never happen over 2 years until recently. Can anyone help on it? I read from another fido forum posting that disabling caller id feature by fido may help. Is it the case? Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 15
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@PL27 Did you do the update on your WF720? Visit the link for some instructions, that might fix some problems you have Smiley 

Keep me updated on the results!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 15
Highlighted

Hi FidoManuel,

Thanks for quick reponse. The update link sent is for WF721, not WF720 that I have. Is there another update link for 720? Or other possible fix or thoughts? Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 15
Highlighted

I found the source of the problem. It was the "Name display" feature that somehow was added by Fido (at $0) to this wireless home phone account. Not sure why it got added. Probably this feature is not compatible with ZTE720 model causing some phone numbers call in but no ringing. I called fido to remove this feature (keep call display) and it fixed instantly the problem.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 15
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for letting us know, PL27!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 15