Xiaomi Mi3 suitability for G3 on Fido

I'm a Participant Level 1 montglow
I'm a Participant Level 1

Xiaomi Mi3 suitability for G3 on Fido

Smartphone has following frequencies GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and WCDMA[UTMS] 850/900/1900 and 2100. Previous conversation re Xiaomi Redit with similiar frequencies allowed for only 2G. The Mi3 has no claim to 4g or LTE. Will this phone be able to utilige the 3g network of Fido-speech, data ? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Xiaomi Mi3 suitability for G3 on Fido

@MelonBitter wrote:

Mine is HUAWEI HONOR6 which is base on WCDMA, So far It only works on Edge (no 3G and LTE). SO the problem is not about setting APN , is about BAND , it that right ? Do you know any other Chinese smartphone suppotr FIDO LTE ? Thank you very much .

Hello MelonBitter,

Yes, I think your problem would be with the bands rather than APN settings. I assume you have one of these models:

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_6-6461.php

Firstly, Fido/Rogers uses FDD so the phones with the TDD bands would not be compatible. Secondly, if you do have one of the FDD phones, those frequencies are not the ones used here. For simplicity sake, Fido/Rogers uses 850 and 1900 MHz  for 3G and AWS, 2600, and 700 MHz (Bands 4, 7, 17) for LTE. Unfortunately, those phones do not support Fido/Rogers' frequencies/bands.

As for any other Chinese smartphones supporting Fido LTE, I'm not sure. It's best to compare the bands/frequencies.

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

If the phone 3G is based on WCDMA it will not have 3G. You need to look for HSPDA

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
MVP
MVP

@montglow wrote:

Smartphone has following frequencies GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and WCDMA[UTMS] 850/900/1900 and 2100. Previous conversation re Xiaomi Redit with similiar frequencies allowed for only 2G. The Mi3 has no claim to 4g or LTE. Will this phone be able to utilige the 3g network of Fido-speech, data ? 

Hello,

From what I understand, that phone could possibly work because it has both of the 3G frequencies (850 and 1900 MHz) Fido/Rogers uses. That said, I'm not sure whether AWS compatibility is required for the 3G network as it seems to be for the LTE network.

If you were referring to the Xiaomi Redmi 1S as only allowing 2G, it was likely it was due to the fact that it only had 900 and 2100 MHz for 3G rather than being based on WCDMA.

WCDMA is the same as UTMS, which Fido clearly states as supporting on their 'How to' page. HSPA uses WCDMA (UTMS) protocols but extends and improves it's performance.

I know this answer doesn't really help in determining whether the phone will definitely work on the network. So the phone might work.

I hope someone else can provide a more definitive answer for you.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 7
I'm a Participant Level 2 MelonBitter
I'm a Participant Level 2

Mine is HUAWEI HONOR6 which is base on WCDMA, So far It only works on Edge (no 3G and LTE). SO the problem is not about setting APN , is about BAND , it that right ? Do you know any other Chinese smartphone suppotr FIDO LTE ? Thank you very much .

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
MVP
MVP
Solution

@MelonBitter wrote:

Hello MelonBitter,

Yes, I think your problem would be with the bands rather than APN settings. I assume you have one of these models:

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_6-6461.php

Firstly, Fido/Rogers uses FDD so the phones with the TDD bands would not be compatible. Secondly, if you do have one of the FDD phones, those frequencies are not the ones used here. For simplicity sake, Fido/Rogers uses 850 and 1900 MHz  for 3G and AWS, 2600, and 700 MHz (Bands 4, 7, 17) for LTE. Unfortunately, those phones do not support Fido/Rogers' frequencies/bands.

As for any other Chinese smartphones supporting Fido LTE, I'm not sure. It's best to compare the bands/frequencies.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 7
I'm a Participant Level 2 MelonBitter
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi Cawtau

How about one plus

http://oneplus.net/ .

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
MVP
MVP

@MelonBitter wrote:

Hi Cawtau

How about one plus

http://oneplus.net/ .

Hello MelonBitter,

Apologies for being curt, but you can try to compare the bands/frequencies yourself. I've already posted the required bands/frequencies in my previous reply to you as well as elsewhere in these forums. If you require additional help then I would  try to be of assistance. I am by no means an expert. All I know regarding this subject is what I have researched.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 7