Will I be Roaming?

I'm a Participant Level 1 AndrewBS42
I'm a Participant Level 1

Will I be Roaming?

My Home is in Hamilton, Ontario.

Early in July, I'll be travelling to Ottawa.

Later in July, I'll be travelling to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

I'd like to be able to talk or text with other phones on my account whe will be with me.

I've read about Fido Extended Coverage, but nobody's shown me a map.

I guess I'll be roaming, and may need a travel pack to make talk and text easier, but again, no map.

Will Fido Extended coverage work for me on these trips?

Are there travel packs I could make use of as well or instead?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Will I be Roaming?

Hello AndrewBS42,

Welcome to the forums!

When you travel in Canada on the Fido network, your calls will be considered local or long distance but roaming fees will not apply (see here). If you click on Learn more, it will show you Fido's coverage map. So you won't require a travel pack.

Do you have a pre-paid or or post-paid account? Depending on your plan, long distance charges may apply. However, if your plan has Canada-wide minutes, no long distance charges would apply.

Depending on what part of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia you intend to travel, there may be some areas which would be considered Extended coverage (Fido coverage map from above). As you are aware, there are Extended coverage roaming agreements with other Canadian wireless companies (roaming needs to be on). If you are in an area not covered by Fido/Rogers but is covered by another service, you will roam on their network as Fido-EXT without any additional charge (may be plan dependent). Note however, extended coverage is only meant for short-term use. If you exceed 50% usage within extended coverage, it will be blocked (see here). **edit** For additional information regarding Extended coverage, you can see here. Note that Extended coverage is not available for pre-paid accounts**

**edit** You should also note that there may be areas of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia that are not adequately covered by any of the providers.

NB NS.jpg

Taken from here. I cannot vouch for accuracy.

I understand the screen capture is a bit crowded, but you can zoom in on the areas you intend to travel if you go to the site.**

If you have your roaming on, the transfer between the Fido networks and Fido-EXT should be seamless. Again, you won't require a travel pack while travelling in Canada. If you do decide to take a side trip to Maine, you might consider turning off roaming or else you will incur roaming charges in the US.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
MVP
MVP
Solution

Hello AndrewBS42,

Welcome to the forums!

When you travel in Canada on the Fido network, your calls will be considered local or long distance but roaming fees will not apply (see here). If you click on Learn more, it will show you Fido's coverage map. So you won't require a travel pack.

Do you have a pre-paid or or post-paid account? Depending on your plan, long distance charges may apply. However, if your plan has Canada-wide minutes, no long distance charges would apply.

Depending on what part of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia you intend to travel, there may be some areas which would be considered Extended coverage (Fido coverage map from above). As you are aware, there are Extended coverage roaming agreements with other Canadian wireless companies (roaming needs to be on). If you are in an area not covered by Fido/Rogers but is covered by another service, you will roam on their network as Fido-EXT without any additional charge (may be plan dependent). Note however, extended coverage is only meant for short-term use. If you exceed 50% usage within extended coverage, it will be blocked (see here). **edit** For additional information regarding Extended coverage, you can see here. Note that Extended coverage is not available for pre-paid accounts**

**edit** You should also note that there may be areas of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia that are not adequately covered by any of the providers.

NB NS.jpg

Taken from here. I cannot vouch for accuracy.

I understand the screen capture is a bit crowded, but you can zoom in on the areas you intend to travel if you go to the site.**

If you have your roaming on, the transfer between the Fido networks and Fido-EXT should be seamless. Again, you won't require a travel pack while travelling in Canada. If you do decide to take a side trip to Maine, you might consider turning off roaming or else you will incur roaming charges in the US.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

I'd like to be able to talk or text with other phones on my account whe will be with me.

Just to add to what Cawtau said, if you (or the other person going with you) does not have Canada-wide calling, there's another bit of information you need to be aware of:

If the caller does not have Canada-wide calling, he will be calling long-distance to Hamilton.

If the receiver does not have Canada-wide calling, he will be paying long-distance to bring the signal back from Hamilton.

So worst-case scenario (neither of you have Canada-wide calling) and you're standing right next to each other, both of you will be paying long-distance charges.

However, if you call a local number (such as a Ottawa number while you're in Ottawa), that's not a long-distance because your call does not have to go back to Hamilton.

If both of you have Canada-wide calling, then you can ignore my post entirely! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

I know this has been answered, and this is probably pretty obvious, but most Fido monthly plans seem to have unlimited text, picture, and video messaging.  If only one of your phones has free Canada-wide minutes, the other user might be able to send a free text to the user of the phone with free minutes to get them to initiate the call.  This is how my family initiates free calls from me when I'm traveling (usually with a pink unicorn emoticon or two...).

Depending on where you're going in Canada, if you're really close to the US border in an area with poor Canadian cell reception you can potentially get roaming charges.  I live near the border, and on my drive to work I used to get a text message that I had entered the US even though I hadn't.  To stop these messages, and to ensure I wasn't getting charged for any roaming, I went into the phone's settings and changed my carrier from "Automatic" to "Fido."  It still picks up all Fido and Rogers cell towers just as well, but I don't get daily "Welcome to the USA" messages anymore.

I hope this helps and have a great trip! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4