Wifi calling support for non fido android

I'm a Participant Level 3 Alek
I'm a Participant Level 3

Wifi calling support for non fido android

Hello.

Is Fido going to support non Fido android devices for Wifi calling? I have a Samsung S7 edge (bought it in the Samsung store) and I cannot registry this option successfully. I put my phone number and I get the SMS with the code, then it says "Error, non fido device. Contact support for assistance"

I have problems with the coverage in my area and this would be a great solution.

Regards...

Accepted Solution

Re: Wifi calling support for non fido android

Hey everyone!

I came accross this thread and wanted to provide an update on Wi-Fi calling for non-Fido Android phones.

Wi-Fi calling is offered on eligible Fido Android phones purchased from Fido. At the moment it's offered on these phones:

• LG G4 with Android software version 6.0 (or later), LG G5 with Android software version 6.0.1 (or later), LG G6, V30, or Xpower2 with Android software version 7.0 (or later) installed.
  • Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S7, S7 edge, S8, S8+, Note 8, or A5 with Android software version 6.0.1 (or later) installed.
  • Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL with Android software version 8.0.1 (or later) installed.

For Android phones not purchased from Fido, the option is currently not available.

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 9
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@Alek if you go to your phone settings do you have to option to enable WiFi calling? If you do not follow this guide here to convert your phone to a Fido branded phone and you will get the option to enable WiFi calling. If you do have the option to enable WiFi calling just skip to the next step below.

After that is done it still will not work because your IMEI number is not in Fido system because your phone was not from Fido so you will have to call Fido and ask them to add your phone's IMEI number to your account then try setting up the WiFi calling and it should work but not guarantee.

Another user did tried it but never reported if it did worked or not you can view that post here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 9

Thanks @KAPABLE-K. I already have some of these Fido apps in my phone. App zone and My account (both disabled). Do you think that this could be a problem?

Regards
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 9
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@Alek disabling those app has nothing to do with the WiFi calling. How did you get those apps on the phone if you bought it directly from the Samsung store?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 9

Hello @KAPABLE-K

The Samsung s7 edge came with something called sim-locked. What I understood is that is locked with the provider of your Sim card. They supplied the unlock code in the box. I cannot remove those applications, that's why I disabled.

I know.. sounds weird.

Regards
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 9
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

That is weird if you are buying a factory unlocked phone it shouldn't do that.

Usually only carrier locked phones do that, lets say you bought a Samsung phone from Fido and the first SIM you put in is a Telus SIM the phone will lock to Telus even though you go it from Fido.

I notice you got the other user to respond and it did not work for him even after Fido added the IMEI to his account. I guess we will just have to wait until Fido support any phone that is WiFi capable.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 9

Look @KAPABLE-K

I took this information from a website called android central:

"Every year, with the release of a new Samsung flagship in Canada, we hear appeals for unlocked versions, free of carrier bloat and SIM restrictions. Every year, Samsung fails to deliver.

While Samsung refuses to comment on the record about its reticence to sell devices fully unlocked, either through its online store or branded retail outlets, we've heard through various sources that the company has no intention of disrupting its furtive and positive relationship with Canada's largest carriers, namely Rogers, Telus and Bell, which sell through the majority of the company's handsets.

This year, however, Samsung is allowing a small loophole through this carrier barrier (say that ten times) — as long as you're in Toronto, Burnaby, Richmond or Edmonton.

Every Galaxy S7 or S7 edge that is sold throughout Canada is unlocked until a SIM card is inserted, which then locks to that carrier's network. This way, Samsung can cut down on the number of models it distributes, since all carriers' assets are loaded onto every device, and install once a SIM is loaded.

But when a device that same device is purchased from one of Samsung's four so-called Experience Stores, located in Toronto's Sherway Gardens, Burnaby's Metrotown Mall, the Richmond Centre Mall, or the famous West Edmonton Mall, the company includes two unlock codes (in case one doesn't work) with each retail box, a gesture that should alleviate any ill will (and, for some, justify the cost of buying the $900 to $1,000 phone outright)."

This is my case...

Regards
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 9
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@Alek that explains why yours got lock, I knew that was one of the problem with Samsung is that you could have never bought a factory unlock phone in North America but I thought it changed after the S7 people said they bought them unlocked from the Samsung store but no one nevere mention they got an unlocked code.

Samsung builds powerful hardwares but because of all the bloat, lack of updates I stoped using my S6 and just got the Nexus 6P. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 9
Solution

Hey everyone!

I came accross this thread and wanted to provide an update on Wi-Fi calling for non-Fido Android phones.

Wi-Fi calling is offered on eligible Fido Android phones purchased from Fido. At the moment it's offered on these phones:

• LG G4 with Android software version 6.0 (or later), LG G5 with Android software version 6.0.1 (or later), LG G6, V30, or Xpower2 with Android software version 7.0 (or later) installed.
  • Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S7, S7 edge, S8, S8+, Note 8, or A5 with Android software version 6.0.1 (or later) installed.
  • Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL with Android software version 8.0.1 (or later) installed.

For Android phones not purchased from Fido, the option is currently not available.

Hope this helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 9