Wifi Calling

Wifi Calling

Wifi Calling

SOLVED
robreeves-81
I'm a Participant Level 2

Wifi Calling

After speaking to a fido agent about wifi calling, it was my understanding that any calls that i made whilst in a wifi zone meant that the charges would go through my data plan and not my call plan. I currently have unlimited canada wide calling and 10gb of monthly data so i thought i would make use of the data allowance and call my parents in the UK from Canada through the wifi calling option. To my surprise, when i received my bill, i was charged long distance calling even though the call was made through the wifi calling. 

Very misleading service form fido.

Accepted Solution

Re: Wifi Calling

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Robreeves-81,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you've received inaccurate information. Wifi-calling uses the internet associated with the local area network to which your phone is connected (via Wifi). It does not use data from your mobile plan -- since your phone is connected to Wifi. While any data used during Wifi-calling counts against the allottments from your internet service provider, the calls and messages are taken from your mobile plan.

Wifi calling.jpg

Taken from here.

Since your parents have a non-Canadian phone number, the call would have been considered long-distance.

You should note that this type of calling is different from other app-based IP calling. Many apps allow calls and messaging using mobile data or Wifi. Those calls/messages would be considered data rather than go against your call or message limits -- if not connected to Wifi.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Robreeves-81,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you've received inaccurate information. Wifi-calling uses the internet associated with the local area network to which your phone is connected (via Wifi). It does not use data from your mobile plan -- since your phone is connected to Wifi. While any data used during Wifi-calling counts against the allottments from your internet service provider, the calls and messages are taken from your mobile plan.

Wifi calling.jpg

Taken from here.

Since your parents have a non-Canadian phone number, the call would have been considered long-distance.

You should note that this type of calling is different from other app-based IP calling. Many apps allow calls and messaging using mobile data or Wifi. Those calls/messages would be considered data rather than go against your call or message limits -- if not connected to Wifi.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hi @robreeves-81

I see that @Cawtau has clarified the way wifi calling works. Let me go ahead and send you a PM to look at your bill.

Thanks. 

robreeves-81
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thanks for the response. 

It doesn't really help or make sence as if any outgoing calls count against allottments from my internet service provider, why are fido charging me for this call? I'm already paying my internet service provider and now fido are charging me also? 

Very dissappointing service. 

Hello again,

Anything using data via Wifi is going to go against your allotment from your internet service provider. Wifi-calling is no different. The fact that you're already paying ISP is not relevant. With Wifi-calling, you're using Fido's services. Sure, your phone is not connected to the cellular tower, but the calls/messages still have to route through their network (via IP) before reaching its destination (see graphic here). Note it's different from the app-based services since those do not have to route through a mobile network. However, even the data used by those app-based services count against your internet allotment from your ISP.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers