WiFi calling S7 and S6

WiFi calling S7 and S6

WiFi calling S7 and S6

SOLVED
Euain
I'm a Participant Level 3

WiFi calling S7 and S6

Will WiFi calling be made available to the S7 and S6 series of phones?

Accepted Solution

Re: WiFi calling S7 and S6

Solved by MVP MVP

We will have to wait and see if Fido will impliment it, if and when that happens the only way we will know is when its gets announced on the website.

View solution in context
29 REPLIES 29
pissinato
I'm a Participant Level 1

I have a Fido S6 with wifi calling activated. Will it continue to work if I unlock the phone?

There's a little chance it doesn't work anymore, but it's really rare since it's a Fido phone to start with! 

Rami2
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I have been having a heck of a time trying to get a solution for problems I have had with getting WiFi calling setup on my Galaxy S7, and have gotten the total runaround from customer service people at Fido.  When I go to register for WiFi Calling, I get texted the 6 number verification code.  When I enter the verification code, I get the following message, "Looks like your device isn't eligible for Wi-Fi Calling.  Reach us at fido.ca/contactus"  I have tried contacting them, but no one has any idea how to solve this.  VoLTE isn't working either.  Ugh . . . 

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Welcome to the community @Rami2! Smiley

Is the phone you're using a Fido phone? If it isn't, it could explain why you're having issues activating it. 

Rami2

The phone is locked to Fido, has all of the Fido apps on it and I have registered the IMEI with Fido, so what else could I possibly do to make it a Fido phone?  I bought it from Costco unlocked, but the moment I put the Fido sim card in, it reset the phone and locked it to Fido.  Is there anything else I would need to do to make it a Fido phone? 

FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Hi @Rami2!

This device doesn't qualify as a Fido phone, we don't sell any unlocked Samsung phone. 

The OS installed on the phone is the main difference between an unlocked device and a Fido branded phone. While the user interface will look the same, a few changes are done under the hood in order to operate best on our network.

Some features might not work on an unlocked device.

TRoN

Oh really? I was under the impression that ALL Canadian Samsung phones(W8 model) are the same. They all have every Canadian carrier's CSC. *#272*IMEI# will allow you to reset to any Canadian carrier(fully wipes the phone). Once reset to Fido for example, it's exactly the same as if you bought it from Fido. The only difference is Fido does not have the IMEI stored in their database and claim it can't be fixed. They add the IMEI to your account but that does nothing. So, why is it that wifi calling is not working on non Fido purchased Canadian Samsung phones?

@TRoN the W8 is the same for all Canadian carriers and has the CSC for all the carriers built in the phone. The problem with not getting the phone from Fido is that the IMEI is not in Fido's database thats why you wont get support for certain features. They can add the IMEI to your account but its not they same as have the IMEI in the database the phone will still be register as a non-Fido phone.

They will not add it to their database because as a company they have to account for every phone and if they start adding other device IMEI's to their database that will screw up inventory, actual cost and profits.

TRoN

@                    Hmm, do you know anything about progamming? Databases? They can EASILY add to their database with some programming without "screwing up" inventory and profits(??). So, what's the REAL reason they won't do it.

@TRoN i'm sure they can do it but that's probably more work for them right and thy most likely want you to get the phone from them so you can take a contract, I read an article a while back of a man suing his carrier in the states for the same thing his phone can support the features his carrier has but they won't support his phone because he did not get it from them. I can't find the article at this time but the carriers here in Canada probably won't start to support devices that was not purchase from them until people start suing. 

The carriers here in Canada have BYOP plans so they are encouraging you to get your own phone but when you do they won't support the features even if your phone is fully compatible with the network.

Hello,

Before anyone starts suing anyone...

If Fido is unable to resolve your issue, you might consider filing a complaint with the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS).

Cheers

Rami2

See, this is the frustrating thing for me.  FidoManuel says that there are a few changes "under the hood" that prevents my phone from getting the same services as anyone else with the same phone.  Yet, he doesn't explain what those changes are, nor offers any options, suggestions or support as to how I can get those changes made to my phone.  If the answer is adding the IMEI of my phone to the Fido database, that has nothing to do with changes "under the hood" of my phone.  It has nothing to do with my phone, it has to do with how it is registered with Fido, which they have complete control over.  So I find it so disengenious when Fido employees respond with superficial answers about how these "changes under the hood" can't be made to my phone, rather than just saying we don't want to provide the same services to BYOP plans.  Thanks for being so transparent FidoManuel.  Perhaps you could refer me to someone who can provide me technical support, rather than telling me there's nothing that can be done.

Hi @Rami2,

What @FidoManuel meant is that devices sold by Fido go through rigorous testing and certification to make sure that there are no issues with the services we offer on the devices we sell.

When it comes to the wifi calling, it is clearly indicated on our website: "If you have a non-Fido Android device (e.g., you did not buy your device from Fido), Wi-Fi Calling will not work." (http://fido.ly/24HerKF).

That being said, I'm sorry we can't resolve the issue but I will be sure to pass your feedback along.

Thanks. 

Rami2

@FidoFaiza wrote:

Hi @Rami2,

What @FidoManuel meant is that devices sold by Fido go through rigorous testing and certification to make sure that there are no issues with the services we offer on the devices we sell.

When it comes to the wifi calling, it is clearly indicated on our website: "If you have a non-Fido Android device (e.g., you did not buy your device from Fido), Wi-Fi Calling will not work." (http://fido.ly/24HerKF).

That being said, I'm sorry we can't resolve the issue but I will be sure to pass your feedback along.

Thanks. 

FidoFaiza - sorry, but your reply seems disingenious and inconsistent.  First it was that there are special changes that Fido makes "under the hood", which differentiates my S7 from a Fido bought S7.  But that turns out to not be true, so then you suggest that it's because my particular S7 hasn't gone through "rigorous testing and certification".  Perhaps you could elaborate on the rigourous testing and certification that every single fido phone goes through - funny, every previous time I have bought a phone from Fido, it came in a factory sealed box - are you telling me that Fido gets the phones from the manufacturer, opens every one up and puts them through "rigourous testing and certification", then seals the phone up again and makes it look like it came right from the factory?  Please don't patronize me with your nonsensical excuses.  I think the least you could do is be honest with your customers - "we only support phones we sell to you directly because we make more money that way and, even though we easily could support your phone, we are choosing not to as a way of forcing you to buy future phones from Fido."  I may not agree with the policy, but at least it would be honest.  But seriously, answers containing BS like changes "under the hood" and "rigourous testing and certification" - that's just condescending, lying, disengenious garbage.  You should have a little more respect for your customers.

Hey @Rami2,

We're sincerely sorry if our reply made you feel that way, it was truly not in our intention at all.

I assure you that we hear you and appreciate your feedback. We're always looking for ways to improve our services and your experience with us and your feedback is more than welcome. We have already passed it on to the concerned department and we'll do our best to look into the possibility of having this service available on non-Fido devices as well.

I do have to be completely honest with you and let you know that we don't know exactly how long this would take and when it would happen, but that we'll do our best to look into options.

TRoN

I recently searched xda developers and found a few members who bought unlocked S7s from Samsung and they had no problem with Fido wifi calling. It seems if the phone comes from another carrier and is unlocked, it will not work with Fido wifi calling. One xda member didn't even need to add the IMEI to their account to get wifi calling to work, only reset the CSC to Fido.

TRoN

Rigorous, extremely thorough, exhaustive, or accurate...haha. How about Ridiculous! So my S7E that I did not buy from Fido, which is now EXACTLY the same as a Fido S7E in terms of hardware and software(after CSC reset), should work with wifi calling. Oh yeah, I forgot,  they didn't rigorously test my particular S7E, so it can't work. My S7E screen started to flicker really bad after 6 months of use. Samsung said too bad, so sad, we are not fixing the screen. They claimed I must have hit it or dropped it(I did not. Absolutely no damage visible). A totally BS claim. So now I bought an unlocked S7E(and reset it to Fido) for a really good price because Fido doesn't do "good price". Do I want/need wifi calling to work? Yes! Will Fido help? Looks like not!

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Hey @TRoN

Just to clarify:  For the manufacturer warranty, that it something Samsung provides and not us. We can help you send the device for repairs at a Fido store however. If you already sent it in for repairs and Samsung refused to repair it, you can ask them for more details.

For your Wi-Fi calling, we can definitely take a look at your account and check out the issue. I'll send you a PM now. Smiley

TRoN

@FidoTerry, you tell me that manufacturer warranty is provided by Samsung and not Fido, as if I claimed that Fido screwed me out of a warranty repair. Never said that. I said Sampricks told me they will NOT fix it because it "must have" been hit or dropped. It was NOT hit nor dropped(no damage at all indicating it has been). The screen flickering problem happens to many S7E owners, just search youtube and be amazed. Oh, and if you get a chance, check out Samsung's S7E promo ads, showing them torturing the S7 by putting it under 1 meter of water for 30 minutes, dropping it from a 2 meter height and BENDING it with a pressure point in the center of the screen. Look impressive, most impressive. However, they claim if I accidently caused the screen to malfunction, even with no visible evidence to support this, the device will not be covered under warranty. If they see water damage, not covered. Water damage? It's supposed to be WATER PROOF. Pathetic! They try to find any excuse not to fix it.

Hey @TRoN

We really appreciated you sharing your thoughts on this.

At the same time, I noticed that you are not talking to us by PM so we can help you.

Hope to hear from your soon.