Why is the wait so long for Marshmallow

SOLVED
Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

Just got the Galaxy S6 after returning the iPhone 6 I didn't like at all. Can anyone explain why the update to Android 6.0 isn't available for this phone? My old HTC One M8 received that before last Xmas. Isn't the new Galaxy S7 running Marshmallow? If it is obviously then Samsung has already optimized their Touchwiz with Android 6.0 so why don't I have that?

Accepted Solution

Re: Why is the wait so long for Marshmallow

Solved by Community Manager

Hey @wmelnechuk,

Thanks for your patience with this. The Android M update with Wi-Fi Calling & security updates is now available for the S6/S6 Edge!

To find out more about Wi-Fi Calling, click here.

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@Proac That's the million dollar question, everyone is waiting for Fido/Rogers to push the update but according to what little info we get about this issue it seems that they are still testing it and it will be coming sometime this summer according to the OS update page.

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

But the older S5 is getting it today. This is totally illogical. New device getting it first I understand but how are they pushing it out to the now nearly 3yr old S5 before the S6

@Proac makes no sense that the S5 is getting it before the S6, I strongly believe the reason is because Rogers VoLTE network is not setup properly thats why the S6 did not get the update as yet because the S6 is a VoLTE compatible phone. when the 5.1.1 was released thats when the VoLTE was introduced and for months the phone was not working properly until they released an update that seem to fix it.

The S7 came with Marshmallow and alot of those users are having network issues.

FidoStephen
Community Manager

Hey @Proac & @KAPABLE-K,

We’re working with Samsung and will be releasing Marshmallow on Android devices with additional functionality soon.

The Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge and other devices will get the update in the coming weeks. Please make sure you retain the original software on your Fido Samsung device so you can enjoy all our updates.

Thanks for your patience!

wmelnechuk
I'm a Participant Level 1

Fido, the wait times for Marshmallow on the Galaxy 6s are getting ridiculous. Nought is going to be released so. Someone needs to be fired. Get someone who knows what they are doing.

Hey @wmelnechuk,

Thanks for your patience with this. The Android M update with Wi-Fi Calling & security updates is now available for the S6/S6 Edge!

To find out more about Wi-Fi Calling, click here.