Why does FIDO charge $50.00 to unlock a phone?

SOLVED
LV30
I'm a Participant Level 2

I Completed my full 2 year contract. Paid the phone in full and you still charge me the $50 fee to unlock it?? REALLY?? Why? It took the agent 2 seconds to complete my transactions after I waited almost 2 hours to speak to someone for this.

Why doesn't FIDO offer the option to unlock a phone in your account on FIDO.ca???? Wouldn't that save alot of peoples time??

Accepted Solution

Re: Why does FIDO charge $50.00 to unlock a phone?

Solved by Moderator

Hey @LV30!

This charge is an administrative fee billed for the service of unlocking the phone, but we appreciate you taking the time and sharing this feedback with us! I'll be sure to forward it to the right people. Smiley 

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
EFTC
I'm Qualified Level 1

There are many websites out there that offers to unlock your phone for 1/5 of the price that Fido charges.  Some of them are very reputable as well and you can go check it out.

With regards to unlocking phones at the end of contract, I think Fido (or any other carrier for that matter) should unlock the phone automatically for free after it is paid outright (i.e., at the end of contract term or when the phone is paid off in the middle of contract) and not charge $50 dollars to unlock it. 

Realistically if I were to unlock a phone, I would have unlocked it after the first 2 weeks of use (when I plan to keep the phone and not return it). That way, I can have the option to use the phone when I am abroad. Like others said, if I were to left Fido I would have signed up a contract with a competitor and get a new phone along the way instead of going through the trouble of unlocking a used phone with a battery (or other parts) that might require replacing.

At the end of the day, we are with Fido and we do need to play by their rules.

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@LV30 A couple of years ago the carriers did not unlock phones or couldn't care about that but then the CRTC set new rules same time when they eliminated the 3yr contracts that they have to give the option to have the phones unlocked after 90days for a fee of $50. So you can thank the good old boys over at the CRTC for that one.

Hello,

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

@LV30 A couple of years ago the carriers did not unlock phones or couldn't care about that but then the CRTC set new rules same time when they eliminated the 3yr contracts that they have to give the option to have the phones unlocked after 90days for a fee of $50. So you can thank the good old boys over at the CRTC for that one.  

To clarify, the Wiress Code did not specify an amount providers were required to charge for unlocking. It states at the rate specified by the service provider. 

So Fido could reduce (or remove completely) the administration fee if customers did it online (similar to the Transaction fee replacing the Hardware upgrade fee). Hint, Hint... Fido Wink

Cheers

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Probably because every carrier does it.

And every carrier does it because some percentage of the clients will stay with the same carrier rather than go through the trouble of unlocking their device or purchasing a new one.

Those who are going to be angry with this enough to switch carriers would have switched anyway, so they're already a lost client.

Therefore, a carrier has nothing to lose by doing as it does, and everything to lose by not doing it.

But like I said, it's not just Fido: it's every mobile carrier.

Hey @LV30!

This charge is an administrative fee billed for the service of unlocking the phone, but we appreciate you taking the time and sharing this feedback with us! I'll be sure to forward it to the right people. Smiley