Which Fido Phones have an FM Radio Enabled (2016)?

I'm a Participant Level 3 johnv69
I'm a Participant Level 3

Which Fido Phones have an FM Radio Enabled (2016)?

Looking to upgrade my phone, but want a phone with an FM radio.  Does Fido sell any phones that have the FM radio enabled, or has Fido/Rogers requested that the manufacture disable the FM radio on all their phones that they sell?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Which Fido Phones have an FM Radio Enabled (2016)?

Hi @johnv69

While our phones don't have FM radio enabled, it's possible to download an app from your phone's app store to listen to the radio.

Rest assured that we're always looking to offer our customers new features on their phones; Enabling FM chips in our smartphone lineup requires the support of the device manufacturers & we're working with them on any plans they have for FM radio.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers! Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 14
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Solution

Hi @johnv69

While our phones don't have FM radio enabled, it's possible to download an app from your phone's app store to listen to the radio.

Rest assured that we're always looking to offer our customers new features on their phones; Enabling FM chips in our smartphone lineup requires the support of the device manufacturers & we're working with them on any plans they have for FM radio.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 14
I'm a Contributor Level 1 soundwave
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Most of the phones currently availalbe right now from Fido has an FM radio.

Examples are the LG G5, G4 and G3 all have FM radio. 

The Samsung Galaxy A5 and Galaxy S5 Neo also has FM radio.

You can look up the specs of the phone and it will tell you if it has FM Radio or not.

To use the FM radio you will need to connect a headphone on the phone's headphone jack. It acts as the antenna.

Some people, especially who do not have a lot of data on their plan, prefer to use FM radio instead of downloading an app or streaming because the FM radio chip does not use any data. It just picks up radio stations like an old FM radio receiver.

Hope that helps.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 14
I'm a Participant Level 3 johnv69
I'm a Participant Level 3

@@FidoMaria When you say "it's possible to download an app from your phone's app store to listen to the radio", what you are telling us is that if we download a phone app AND use DATA (either Fidos or Wifi) we can listen to the radio 'over the internet'. But this costs us $$ (unless only using Wifi), where-as FM Radio should be free (paid for by ads).

What I am looking for is a phone with an FM Radio ENABLED that works on the Fido network, so I don't have to use the cell/data/wifi network to have access to the (fm) Radio. Think emergency situations. Or Fort McMurray. Or just someone wanting to walk around the Sea Wall and listen to the fm radio without having to burn 1GB of data to do so.

Also, when you said "Enabling FM chips in our smartphone lineup requires the support of the device manufacturers", that is technically true... but why is Fido stocking cell phones that don't have the FM Chips enabled? I can use phonearena.com or gsmarena.com to see that most phones Fido stocks do(should) support a FM Radio, and that these chips are enabled in other parts of the world. I can see that Blackberry has phones with an enabled FM Radio. I also know that Fido use to sell cell phones with FM Radios enabled. So why has this changed? Why isn't Fido stocking the nearly identical phone models found in other parts of the world that do have the FM Radio chips enabled?

Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 14
I'm a Participant Level 1 Garbear
I'm a Participant Level 1

Come on Fido get the FM chips working we all know they're in most new phones wish I never bought this new G5 way to go Fido
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 14
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1 56Deborah
I'm a Participant Level 1

How do I get the FM chip working on my phone

***Edited title***

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 14
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @56Deborah & welcome to the Community. Smiley

I moved your post to this thread as the question was similar to yours. Please see above for the solutions.

Cheers!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 14
I'm a Participant Level 2 PedroG5
I'm a Participant Level 2

I'm afraid you haven't answered the question. Why has Fido disabled a functionality on a phone that we pay for? My G5, as I understand it, has an FM radio receiver. It's not up to Fido to decide wether I use it or not, it's up to the owner of the phone, me. 

So my question is: would Fido kindly enable the receiver for which I paid for, or tell us what prevents it from doing so.

Thanks for your help. 

PS. I don't know if links are allowed on the forum, but this story from Global News, following the Fort McMurray fires, is relevant: 

"Unlock the hidden FM radio locked in smartphones, broadcasters urge providers" 

http://globalnews.ca/news/2710861/unlock-the-hidden-fm-radio-locked-in-smartphones-broadcasters-urge...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 14
Moderator (inactive) FidoFaiza
Moderator (inactive)

Hi @PedroG5,

As mentionned-above, enabling FM chips in our smartphones requires the support of the device manufacturers & we're working with them on any plans they have for FM radio.

That said, for now, it's not possible to activate the FM radio function. I will be sure to pass your feedback along. 

Thanks. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 14
I'm a Participant Level 2 PedroG5
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply. 

My understanding is that Fido and other networks have disabled the function. Correct me if I got this wrong.

Not that I want to labour the point, but I work in the media and being able to listen to the news on radio when out of the office is extremely useful. 

Thanks again for your time. 

Also, food for thought, Indiana State Senate has adopted in 2015 a resolution for wireless carriers to activate the FM receiver in smartphones: 

http://www.consumerelectronicsdailynews.com/fm-radio-activation-in-smartphones-passed-by-indiana-sen...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 14