When toll-free numbers (1800/1866) call my phone I can't pick them up

CleverGeek
I'm a Participant Level 2

When some numbers attempt to call me back, I see the call and try to pickup but when I do the call drops. It then goes to my voicemail and I get a partial message from the call. I have companies call me back for service calls and this has been consistent. 

Does anyone know why only toll-free calls would fail when I try to pick them up? 

5 REPLIES 5
FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @CleverGeek & welcome to the Community!

That definitely sounds odd. When did you start to notice this happening? And does it only happen with 1800/866 numbers, or have you noticed it with your other contacts too? Also, does it only happen in a specific location?

The more info you give us, the easier it will be to help you out.

Cheers! Smiley

CleverGeek

I've only noticed it on toll-free numbers that start with 1800 and 1866 but I haven't tried any other. I get it with companies like BestBuy, Dell, Staples etc where I need a call back from them. 

It happens everywhere and consistently. I have tracked it at home as well as when I am at work and it also happened today in my car (hands-free of course). I pickup the phone, it seems to connect (but I never hear anyone) then it drops the call and a few mins later I get a voicemail message with a partial message. I don't seem to get any other dropped calls. I have a Nexus 5X running Android 7.1.1 (yet it has happened the entire time I have owned my phone from Android 6). 

The difficult part is, I can't force them to call me back all the time so its hard to test. 

@CleverGeek Thanks for the info!

Just to make sure again that I understood correctly, this has happened on 2 different phones? Has the SIM card ever been changed? And does it happen only with your handsfree or regardless?

CleverGeek

No sorry, same phone. Just the problem doesn't seem to be related to coverage. I have strong signal, it just happens with toll-free numbers to my mobile Fido phone. I then have the companies call my Ooma home phone or corporate work line and I can pickup the calls no issue. SIM has never been changed and handsfree isnt a factor. 

I get calls daily from some vendors and it happens 100% of the time on toll-free numbers. 

Hey @CleverGeek

Thank you for the clarifications. At this point I would recommend trying the SIM card in a different device; you can do this from one of our Fido locations. You can find the closest one near you right from here! Smiley 

Do you think you'll be able to get a test call to come through while testing the SIM?