When my contract ends...

When my contract ends...

When my contract ends...

SOLVED
alex14
I'm a Participant Level 3

When my contract ends...

I am currently in a 2 year contract for an iphone 7 plus and paying $65 per month.  If I BYOD the same plan would be $48 per month.  Basiclly $17 was add per month for the iphone 7 plus contract.  Now when my contract ends will Fido automatically remove the $17 per month for the Iphone 7 plus contract?

Accepted Solution

Re: When my contract ends...

Solved by MVP MVP

@alex14 That's a very good question but unfortunately the plus $ amount you pay to get a subsidy for a phone does not get removed at the end of your term. The only way to have it removed is to change your plan.

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello,

Has the policy changed?!? You used to be able to switch to a BYOP plan once your contract had ended (see here). You just couldn't subsidise another phone some time down the line because the plan would not contain a subsidy.

If you can still switch to a BYOP plan after your contract term, the subsidy will not get removed automatically. You would have to ask to switch to a BYOP plan.

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @Cawtau!

The policy hasn't changed. You can still switch to a BYOP plan once your agreement is over. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. Smiley

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@alex14 That's a very good question but unfortunately the plus $ amount you pay to get a subsidy for a phone does not get removed at the end of your term. The only way to have it removed is to change your plan.

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

This is one of the reasons I will NEVER increase my monthly plan fee payments just to get a shiny new phone. Its not worth it for people like myself, and paying more to have the latest phone does not make financial sense to someone like me.

@Paolo I agree with you, but on a business side its a genius way to avoid grandfathered plans. That's why i'm going to hang on to my $56 plan for as long as I can and still get a subsidy on a phone without paying more.