When did companies start charging customers for the priviledge of buying something from them?

When did companies start charging customers for the priviledge of buying something from them?

I'm a Participant Level 3

So  I got an email today offering:

"Our gift to you: $200 OFF the iPad Air 2 tablet for a limited time!"

After reading this, I was thinking that Fido was actually offering me a good deal on a new piece of equipment. Then I read the offer a little closer and realized that, once I bought the iPad for $569 plus the $360 for 3GB of data more per month when I am perfectly fine with the 2GB of data my plan currently includes, I would be paying $929 for something that I can go to the Apple Store and buy outright for $769 today and not be stuck with a company that wants to nickel and dime me to death for another two years.

Then I see the small print which tells me:

"A one-time $15 transaction fee applies.*"

So now they want to charge me an extra fee for the priviledge for accepting this "gift" that I have been given this holiday season by the company I have had an account with for the past 10 years (hence the title of this post).

Thanks Fido for giving me a "gift" that will cost me $175 more than your competitor's regular price.  I am pretty sure that you will find some of your customers  to fall for this but I'm not one of them.  

Although in the Fido spirit of giving, I think I will give Fido the gift of not paying my bill this month.  After all I should be just a generous with Fido as Fido is with me.

11 REPLIES 11
Senior MVP

Hello Laurie-ross,

Firstly, I believe your interpretation of the financing fee is incorrect.

@laurie-ross wrote:

I seem to have forgotten to include the $569.04 financing fee for my gift which would bring thew grand total price for my gift to:

$1,513.04

I hope everyone isn't this generous this year!

The financing fee would be in lieu of paying for the tablet outright. So, you could pay $569 OR $23.71/mo for 24 months (costs are for the 128Gb version).

Secondly, yes, you could go to the Apple store and buy the Air 2 outright. However, you would still have to pay for a separate plan on top of that price. So that would be $769 plus the cost of the plan. For the same data plan, the total would be $1129 (vs $929 ~ $200 dollars off). You could theoretically tether the tablet to your phone, however, that is a completely different scenario.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

As far as a plan goes, I am already a customer so am I not already paying for a plan?  My point is that my current plan isn't good enough by Fido's standards to allow me to receive this "gift" that I have been offered.  I have to improve my plan by $15 a month for two years in order to receive $200 off this product.

@laurie-ross wrote:

As far as a plan goes, I am already a customer so am I not already paying for a plan? ....

Hello again,

Is your plan a data-only tablet plan or is your data associated with your current phone plan? The tablets in question are SIM & Wifi versions rather than the Wifi-only versions. As such, they require their own SIMs and data plans.

Bottom line, Fido offered a promotion -- $200 off iPad Air 2 with new tablet plan activation. It's not that your plan isn't good enough, the criterion of the promotion is with activation of $15 3Gb tablet data plan. That's the gift. As with any promotion, it may or may not suit your needs. You do not have to avail of any promotional offers. For those individuals who do wish to take advantage of the promotion, they save the two hundred dollars.

**edit** Sure, I would love to get a new Galaxy S6 for $0 (another current promotion), but I already have a plan so I don't want to get a new plan, just the free phone. Unfortunately, that's not in the parameters of the promotion**

Cheers

@laurie-ross as @Cawtau mentioned, we offer the option so you can get the device on Easy Pay or you can get the device full price.  Easy Pay is an excellent option if you wish to slowly pay off the cost of the device since the fee goes on top of your data plan. You can learn more in how our EasyPay financing works here

As for the 15$ transaction fee: As part of the normal course of doing business, we sometimes review our costs and fees. The one-time transaction fee applies for the processing of the request. This fee helps us cover the costs of managing and restocking the inventory of phones and SIM Cards as well as processing orders plus shipping and handling.

Hope this clarifies everything. Smiley

So you go to a store such as Safeway to purchase a loaf of bread and the price on the sign says

Reg $4.99 on sale for $3.99

You think good deal, I'll buy three of them.  Now you go up to the till to pay and you find out that there is a $0.50 restocking fee per loaf because that's the cost of putting the bread on the shelf. I quess that you have to pay $4.49 per loaf if you want bread from Safeway.  

The way that is supposed to work is that the retailer calculates the cost of doing business into the price advertised and charged to the consumer instead of adding on fees after the consumer had agreed to pay the advertised price.  If the price you are charging is not profitable enough then you either have to raise your price or lower your costs.  You shouldn't try and gouge it out of the consumer.  

I'm Qualified Level 1

You know, as with most things, cash purchase will always give you a better deal. For example: 

BWM offers you a good price for a 3 series sedan.  If you pay with cash, you can get $4,000 off sticker price.  Since you don't have $60K in the bank, you have to finance the car (2.9% interest). Since you don't have $800 per month to make car payments, you can lease the car for $500 / month and return the car after 4 years or pay a lum sum payment of $20K at the end of the lease.  Are you going to complain to BMW that they are overcharging customers for the priviledge for buying from them, or are you going to walk away from the dealership thinking you just saved yourself $60K?

The $15.00 "Admin fee" has been with Fido for some time (I think they introduced that 5 - 6 years ago). It used to be $25.00 per upgrade.  I too think it is silly but it is the cost of doing business with Fido.

I'm Helpful Level 1

Go to a corporate store, call 611 from your Fido phone or go on Live Chat during operating hours.

- Ask to get the iPad Air 2 128GB (Space Grey only offered)

- Tell the CSR that you wish to purchase the device with no term

- Also say that you don't need a plan because you'll just tether off your phone when needed

- The price is $569+tax as per the webpage on fido.ca (feel free to go to an Apple Store if you'd rather pay $769+tax for a factory unlocked device)

- Fido only has/sells "flex-locked" devices as far as I know, that means it is unlocked and will lock to the first provider SIM that you put into it. Put a Fido SIM into it the first time and it will lock to Fido, put a Telus SIM into it the first time and it will lock to Telus.

- If you use a data plan with the device and lock it, you still have the option to purchase the unlock code from Fido for $50

- If you never put a SIM into it, it will remain "flex" unlocked.

- If you get the iPad in a store and pay for it on the spot, there is no $15 transaction fee.

- If you get it by calling 611, via Live Chat or have the cost applied to your regular monthly bill at the store level, the $15 transaction fee will apply.

I picked up a 32GB at a store last night ($439, no term, no plan), had my handful of remaining Fido dollars (20) applied to the final price, that triggers applying the balance owing to my monthly bill and thus the $15 transaction fee. Ask the right questions to the right people and you would have known all this before posting here.

I'm Qualified Level 1

Good job for scoring a good deal.

Like I said, if you play your cards carefully with cell phone service providers, you can score and win. 

Just to clarify a few things mentioned by @Alex_DC, all devices purchased through Fido are already locked to Fido, except for certain Google phones.

In regards to the transaction fee, because a Fido account is required to purchase a device through us (either a new activation or an upgrade), the $15 transaction fee will apply.

Cheers!

I seem to have forgotten to include the $569.04 financing fee for my gift which would bring thew grand total price for my gift to:

$1,513.04

I hope everyone isn't this generous this year!

Wow that definitely doesnt sound right... I'm sure Fido with help clearify things a bit more. I would comment but I believe it best to come from an actualy Rep from Fido.

Goodluck though, and that deal is great I will be taking advantage of it of sure.