WhatsApp

WhatsApp

WhatsApp

mafercamacho
I'm a Participant Level 2

WhatsApp

I was charged by Fido with long distance calls when I made that call through WhatsApp application. I called customer sevrice and the only answer that I got was Fido does not support third party applciations and can charged anythime for long distance calls if they want to.

What is Fido trying to do? Forcing customers to pay for its long distance plan when customers can use free applications as WhatsApp?

9 REPLIES 9
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@mafercamacho wrote:

I was charged by Fido with long distance calls when I made that call through WhatsApp application. I called customer sevrice and the only answer that I got was Fido does not support third party applciations and can charged anythime for long distance calls if they want to.

What is Fido trying to do? Forcing customers to pay for its long distance plan when customers can use free applications as WhatsApp?

***Edited to add labels***

Hello Mafercamacho,

There have been instances where phones have connected calls outside of the apps. I'm not sure of the exact circumstances by which it happens, but unfortunately it does. This community member experienced a similar situation with Facetime (see here). There isn't much any phone company can do if apps aren't behaving as expected. Phone companies cannot divert calls from within apps to cellular calls. If it's happening, it's an issue/setting with the phone and/or app. You might consider contacting the app developers to troubleshoot how or why it happened. In the mean time, you'll have to be extra vigilante to make sure calls are being made within the apps.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

You definetly should not be billed for long distance if you made the call to a whatsapp contact over the app. Did you make the call over WiFi or your mobile data?

mafercamacho

I made the call over the WiFi of my home.

Hi there @mafercamacho

I'd invite you to take a look at your phone's calling history, to see if you see the call listed there!

Open up the Phone App & look through the past calls made.

Can you see the call/number that was charged on your invoice?

mafercamacho

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. But, calls made mora than a month ago were deleted already.

Thanks,

UncleMomo
I'm a Participant Level 3

Frustrating, for sure. My bill, which I can see online, also logs every call made on my phone - worth checking that, out, too, if you haven't already.

cheated2
I'm a Participant Level 1

It appears to me that nobody, sofar, has the answer to have Fido stop charging for calls made with whatsapp. As a workaround, I have subscribed to Fido's long distance calling plan for $5.00/month (to gain low charges for long distance to Netherlands at 1 cent/minute, and to Mexico at 2 cent/minute). It's appalling that Fido does not serve its customers better.

Hi @cheated2,

Welcome to Community!

We don't want you to feel this way Sad

I'm happy you now have reduced rates to call internationally.

Cheers.

I see!

The reason I ask is because all calls made through the regular network are listed there, in your calling history. 

If the call was made through WhatsApp, it would not appear in your calling history!

It would only appear in the WhatsApp history. 

I'll send you a DM so we can discuss this further 😃