What triggers the Fido ROAM charge?

SOLVED
Bofh
I'm a Participant Level 3

I read through the FAQs on Fido ROAM and I am still a little confused as to what specifically triggers the charges to Fido ROAM.  Can anyone provide details of each of the following scenarios?  What triggers the start of the $5/day?  What are extra charges above the $5/day?  Italics is based on what I understand from the FAQs.

I am on a current plan that includes Unlimited Canada-Wide Minutes, Unlimited International text, picture, and video messaging and several GB of data.  I will be in Hawaii, if that makes a difference. 

1. Incoming call from Hawaii
    1. answered - triggers the start, no extra charge
    2. not answered - nothing
  2. Incoming text
    1. Canadian number - nothing
    2. American number - nothing
  3. Incoming call from Canada
    1. answered - triggers the start, no extra charge
    2. not answered - nothing
  4. Outgoing call
    1. to a Canadian number - triggers the start, no extra charge
    2. to a Hawaiin number (local) - triggers the start, no extra charge
    3. to rest of the US - triggers the start, LD charges to the US
  5. Outgoing text - triggers the start, no extra charge

Are there any other scenarios I'm missing?   If this is correct, I can leave data roaming off and not answer the phone and there will be extra charges?  Thanks in advance.

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: What triggers the Fido ROAM charge?

Solved by Former Moderator FidoRanya

Hey @Bofh .

If you don't use your services, meaning you don't use data or text or call while you are abroad , even if you have Fido Roam you won't get billed. You don't get charged unless you use the service. You won't get billed simply for connecting to another network . Just make sure that data roaming is turned off in this case since you can't control what Apps are using it in the background. 

I reviewed all the scenarios you posted and they are all accurate. Hope this helps. 

View solution in context
7 REPLIES 7
KAPABLE-K
MVP

What triggers the roaming is when your phone connects to a non Fido network outside of Canada. If you leave your roaming off then your phone should not connect to a non Fido network. If you do not want your phone to roam and incur roaming charges then you should turn on airport mode and then you can turn on WiFi and connect to any WiFi network and you can still use the internet.

For the Roam like home feature to work you have to have a compatible plan so you should double check that you have that feature before you use it, fastest way is to call customer service and verify. Also at the end of the call ask for the interaction number so if you do use the roaming and when you get back and something different happens you can quote that interaction number and they can see you did call to verify you have the roam like home feature.

Welcome to the Community @Bofh

Thanks @KAPABLE-K Smiley

I'd like to add that you can text ROAM to 222 to know if your plan includes the feature. It will be much faster than to contact us on the phone as the reply comes right away.

Once you cross the boarders, you'll receive a text message letting you know that you need to turn on ROAMING to activate FidoROAM.

Bofh
I'm a Participant Level 3

Sorry, but the answers you provided are the same as what is already described in the FAQ.  That is why I specifically wrote down several scenarios.

Normally, when you connect to a non Fido network you are already roaming.  However, no charges are incurred until some event happens (this was before ROAM).  So are you saying that this has changed and the second you connect to a non Fido network (even with data off) the $5/day charge starts?

Even without Fido ROAM, which of the scenarios incur a charge?

FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey @Bofh .

If you don't use your services, meaning you don't use data or text or call while you are abroad , even if you have Fido Roam you won't get billed. You don't get charged unless you use the service. You won't get billed simply for connecting to another network . Just make sure that data roaming is turned off in this case since you can't control what Apps are using it in the background. 

I reviewed all the scenarios you posted and they are all accurate. Hope this helps. 

muhil
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi

Just to get better clarity, if I am in USA and getting a incoming call/text from Canada or USA (While Data Roaming is off), then I will get charged $5 or not?

Thanks

Hello Muhil,

Welcome to the community!

Receiving a SMS from anywhere will not trigger the Fido Roam charge. Similarly, receiving the text notification of a MMS will also not trigger the daily charge. However, downloading the associated data within the MMS will trigger the daily charge is is considered roaming data. You should note that the data within MMS does not download via Wifi.  So if you are connected to Wifi and have roaming data on, it will still trigger the charge.

With regards to receiving calls while in the US, if you receive a call (from anywhere) and do not answer (ie let the phone ring through), it will not trigger the charge. On the other hand, if you receive a call and reject or deny the call, it will trigger the daily charge. By rejecting or denying the call, you are forwarding the call to your voicemail via a foreign network (ie roaming). The former scenario is as if the phone/device is not reachable and therefore the call gets forwarded to your voicemail via the Fido network.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

OK that is much faster.