What is Zone 3 daily internet rate?

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

What is Zone 3 daily internet rate?

I was looking at my bill and it says I have $99 charged for something called "Zone 3 Daily Internet rate". What is it? In the past Fido has had a reputation for charging random things that I did not use, it is starting to get to the point where I just want to switch companies 😕

Accepted Solution

Re: What is Zone 3 daily internet rate?

Hey EricaKBell,

We would hate to see you go! I can assure you that we only bill you for what was used on your phone. Smiley 

The Zone 3 Daily Internet rate that you see on the bill refers to data used when roaming abroad in Zone 3. Zone 3 covers Asia, Caribbean, Latin America, Mexico, Oceania and the Middle East. The pay-per-use rate for data used in Zone 3 is $ 9.99 per 10 MB used per 24 hours. You can view the full details of what was used by downloading the PDF version of your detailed bill from My Account. 

Hope this helps! 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Solution

Hey EricaKBell,

We would hate to see you go! I can assure you that we only bill you for what was used on your phone. Smiley 

The Zone 3 Daily Internet rate that you see on the bill refers to data used when roaming abroad in Zone 3. Zone 3 covers Asia, Caribbean, Latin America, Mexico, Oceania and the Middle East. The pay-per-use rate for data used in Zone 3 is $ 9.99 per 10 MB used per 24 hours. You can view the full details of what was used by downloading the PDF version of your detailed bill from My Account. 

Hope this helps! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

To prevent these roaming data charges, you need to turn off the "Data Roaming" option from your phone.  Otherwise nowadays smartphones will auto connect to roaming provider's data network and use it, even without you noticing.   

For iphone: go to Settings -> Cellular -> data roaming -> toggle off. 

For most Android phones: go to settings -> More options -> Mobile Network -> Data Roaming -> uncheck it. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 7

I see, then why would I be charged $99 if I only used 30MB ( was in an emergency while in Korea). Wouldn't that be $30 all together? Who would I talk to about this.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted

Hi EricaKbell,

I can verify your usage with you and get this figured out.

I'm sending you a PM now to take a look at it Smiley

Talk to you soon.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

In the same boat, used roaming in Mexico during an emergency - accepted the charges 3 times and am charged for $60 for a whopping phone bill of $176.83 for one month. For comparison, my husband who is with Telus and also used roaming while in Mexico did not have any surcharges and only pays $50 a month.

Not doing this anymore Fido, will be shopping for a new service and dropping your outrageous charges. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Welcome to the community @virdisun! Smiley

Did you have a chance to check out your invoice? The data pass for Mexico is 9.99$ for 10MB per day and you're capped at 100$ for data roaming per billing cycle. So the only way to continue to use the data roaming beyond the 100$ is to accept the charges on your phone.

We certainly don't want to see you go. I'll send you a PM to review your invoice together. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 7