What can be accessed through Unlimited Mobile Browsing?

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

What can be accessed through Unlimited Mobile Browsing?

What exactly can and cannot be access through Unlimited Mobile Browsing?  Do non-smartphone apps use data or access through the Unlimited Mobile Browsing?  If non-smartphones do not use the Unlimited Mobile Browsing, would you one be charged extra for data usage?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: What can be accessed through Unlimited Mobile Browsing?

Hi,

Q. What phones will Unlimited Mobile Browsing work with?

- The $10 Unlimited Mobile Browsing add-on is for "non-smartphones". Ex. all phones except blackberries, iphones, and the new acer liquid e. It is not compatible with all phone models, however.

- Word to the wise: if you are attempting to browse a Flash website, your phone will need to be able to display Flash content. So again, this will not be compatible with all "non-smartphone" phone models. That said, many reputable websites that choose to use Flash will also provide a non-Flash version, or will even go so far as to detect that you are using a mobile phone browser (ex. Google.com, Amazon.ca) and will instead present you with a low-graphics version of their site so the page loads much faster.

Q. What can I do with Unlimited Mobile Browsing?

1. Browse any web sites you want on an unlimited basis. Fido does not track how many kilobytes of data you use

2. Search the web using Google, Yahoo!, and Bing

3. Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and many other social networks

4. Unlimited access to video streaming services like YouTube (compatible device required - see my note above about Flash content)

5. Download and use applications like Google Maps and Yahoo Go! on an unlimited basis (compatible device required)

6. Send and recieve unlimited messages over Hotmail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail

7. Browse online forums

8. Download images (example: from Google Image search results) to use as wallpaper backgrounds for your phone

Q. What can't I do with Unlimited Mobile Browsing?

1. Download any files (any music files, ringtones, email attachments, emails via pop3 or any other method, game downloads)

2. Tethering

Q. Why would I want this feature?

At $10/month, it is an affordable way to do Internet on many Fido phones, such as LG Xenon, LG Gossip, etc. A great alternative to iPhone which requires $25+ data or Blackberry that requires $15+ data.

(Sorry I can't be of more help with what devices are compatible, you will have to ask Fido)

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 15
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

@lewis,

As a general rule of thumb, anything that is accessed within the phones "MOBILE BROWSER" window is included in the on-device browsing. Also, the use of "SOME" data applications (i.e. Gmail, GoogleMaps) is also covered with this plan too, according to the Fido.ca Website.

You can NOT tether with this package, and some phones are not compatible with this option, as they use a more content rich browsing approach.

Hope This Helps,

Be sure to click likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 15
Highlighted

Thanks for your quick response.

I'm still trying to understand how does one know when they are not covered under the mobile browsing plan.  Are you prompted by the phone that you are no longer using the mobile browsing plan?  I've never used a mobile internet phone from LG or Nokia.

Thanks again.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 15
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

I would call the Fido call centre or chat online with a representative to assist you in this question.

Be sure to click likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 15
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Fido doesn't even seem to know the answer to this one.

Their web site (http://www.fido.ca/web/content/internet/fidoshop) says:

Monthly options for mobile phones – Save with the $10/month Unlimited Mobile Browsing Add-on2 for unlimited browsing and application use. Purchase either standalone or get it in the $15 value pack and save even more!

I presume that "mobile phones" mean non-3G phones.  When I talked to the live chat support person,  I got the opposite answer though, that only usage from the phone's built in browser is included and *not* any application use.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 15
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3
Solution

Hi,

Q. What phones will Unlimited Mobile Browsing work with?

- The $10 Unlimited Mobile Browsing add-on is for "non-smartphones". Ex. all phones except blackberries, iphones, and the new acer liquid e. It is not compatible with all phone models, however.

- Word to the wise: if you are attempting to browse a Flash website, your phone will need to be able to display Flash content. So again, this will not be compatible with all "non-smartphone" phone models. That said, many reputable websites that choose to use Flash will also provide a non-Flash version, or will even go so far as to detect that you are using a mobile phone browser (ex. Google.com, Amazon.ca) and will instead present you with a low-graphics version of their site so the page loads much faster.

1. Browse any web sites you want on an unlimited basis. Fido does not track how many kilobytes of data you use

2. Search the web using Google, Yahoo!, and Bing

3. Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and many other social networks

4. Unlimited access to video streaming services like YouTube (compatible device required - see my note above about Flash content)

5. Download and use applications like Google Maps and Yahoo Go! on an unlimited basis (compatible device required)

7. Browse online forums

8. Download images (example: from Google Image search results) to use as wallpaper backgrounds for your phone

1. Download any files (any music files, ringtones, email attachments, emails via pop3 or any other method, game downloads)

2. Tethering

Q. Why would I want this feature?

At $10/month, it is an affordable way to do Internet on many Fido phones, such as LG Xenon, LG Gossip, etc. A great alternative to iPhone which requires $25+ data or Blackberry that requires $15+ data.

(Sorry I can't be of more help with what devices are compatible, you will have to ask Fido)

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 15
Highlighted

Alice, thanks for the great info.

I managed to get to a mall and talk to a sales person at a multiple-brand kiosk and their take was the unlimited mobile browsing plan was limited to phones with Edge connectivity only.  Any 3G phones required a data plan for internet connectivity.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 15
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

What the hell, Fido?  Can I download files or not?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 15
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

and

emails via pop3 or any other method,

this is not really clear can you use apps to check mail like roadsync.

and are you sure about youtube?

i also notice that whenever im triying to acces web content my phone will ask me if i want to conect through fido browsing or fido internet does this make any diference.\

thanks

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 15
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 3
I'm Experienced Level 3

Alice,

You are incorrect on certain things regarding UMB.

1. You are allowed to download anything from the internet. The CHARGE only comes if you actually USE the FIDO STORE to buy your apps, ringtones, etc.

2. Fido DOES keep track of the amount of data you use. It shows the day and data amount you used on that day.

3. You are CHARGED for using email if you use the MOBILEMAIL application.

4. You are CHARGED for using instant messaging if you use the IM application.

5. You can do anything as long as it's on-device (NO teethering) with the exceptions listed above.

Regarding data and Smartphones:

You need a minimum of $25 Voice Plan + $25 Data Plan OR if both =/> $50 (eg. $35 VP + $15 DP) to qualify for HUP.

All the Fido phones listed under the 'Phones' tab (with the ONLY EXCEPTION being BB) is qualified for UMB. Anything listed in the 'iPhones' and 'Smartphones' are NOT qualified for UMB.

I think the difference between Fido browsing and Fido internet are:

1. Fido browsing uses a server to pass information to the phone. Basically Internet>Server (compressing data)>Phone.

2. Fido internet doesn't use a server. Internet>Phone.

I have a Vivaz Pro with UMB.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 15