What are the advantages of Fido over Rogers?

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

I realize their have Fido Dollars and per second billing, but what are the other advantages? Rogers seems to have comparable plans and rate, but they also have more services available and a Rogers wireless line is eligible for a bundle discount with other Rogers services. Are there other compelling reasons to stick with Fido over Rogers?

22 REPLIES 22
fidoOlivier
Fido Employee

Hello 10yearfido,

Fido advantages over Rogers to my knowledge are as follow:

- Fido dollars which is a great help on renewing or just purchasing a new device at a cheaper price or even free depending on much Fido Dollars that you have accumulated. 

- Fido Check-In: a service that can be use so to be contacted by a Fido Representative at any time you wish, (during business hours of course). Such service is always on point.

- Fido answers: your call always get answer at a timely fashion & your feedback is always taken as they are necessary to improve customer service satisfactory level.

- Fido Plan: cheaper & more flexible.

Billed by the second is no longer being offered but any customer who currently are under a grandfather billed by the second plan will still be bill by the second until of course the Plan is change to a more recent plan.

Cheers.

puddlebiker
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Fido doesn't do per second billing any more. They trashed that without people knowing.

mirkrim
I'm a Participant Level 3

Fido no longer has per-second billing. It appears there is no longer any advantage to going with Fido over Rogers.
randidirk
I'm a Participant Level 1

I would like to comment on this. I used to LOVE fido and recommended them to everyone. I am on my 4th phone now from my last time I renewed. I got it 3 months ago. And its already screwing up. They won't replace it because it has water damage which can happen from just the mist. I have been with them since I had a phone under my own name. So about 8 yrs. I can renew my contract in 5 months. I called to ask if I could renew it early and they wouldn't allow it. I have been so loyal to them and ythey get these phones for next to nothing. Now my only option is to buy a phone out. It would be cheaper to pay to cancel my contract and sign up gfor another one. But I definitely will not sign up with them again. The amount I save on plans is way not as much as phones cost
nick67
I'm Qualified Level 3

linaa89 writes:

"stacking. < - Its morally wrong on all levels. if you dont know that fido stacks contracts then i suggest you read there policy before you renew again."

Would someone care to elaborate on this for me? Please and thanks Smiley

hukerikar
I'm a Contributor Level 2

I know this is a very old thread but I thought of commenting anyway.

What I love about Fido is their excellent customer service. The CSRs and retention people will try to keep you a customer as much as possible unlike the other providers who just don't care. The only major difference that I think is the 850MHz frequency that Rogers has kept for their customers in the GTA. Fido customer has access to 1900MHz frequency only in the GTA but as soon as you get out of the GTA Fido customers access the 850MHz frequency. FYI the 850MHz has better voice quality compared to the 1900MHz. As a Fido customer I find dead spots for 3G and LTE in Woodbridge and other areas- not sure if Rogers customers also have the same issue.

Bottomline, I love the Fido per second billing, superior customer service who genuinely want to help you and their budget plans (I must say they have jacked up their prices lately - so have other carriers too!) and best of all the Fido Dollars.

Keep up the good works guys!

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

actually hukerikar,

fido and rogers customers have access to the SAME Exact frequencies, both 850 AND 1900, regardless if they are IN THE GTA or OUTSIDE THE GTA.  YOUR post is incorrect and its an assumtion, but i know for a fact fido and rogers networks are identical for all subscribers, there is no difference, if a network wanted to make them different it would cost them a lot more money (in the billions) to implement this, which makes no sense from a business perspective. 

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

hukerikar post was right... back in 2006 ish when Fido and Rogers first merged. I recalled my wireless plan have an 'extended network' option for $5 per month, which entitles me to use with all 2G frequencies on Rogers as a Fido customer. This became useless a few years later when 3G becomes important.

Also Fido doesn't offer per second billing for quite awhile.

Today's Fido's advantage over Rogers are lower cost monthly plans. Fido still has cheaper minute and data overcharge. Fidodollars advantage becomes moot with Roger's introduction of Roger Rewards.
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@Wufai wrote:
hukerikar post was right... back in 2006 ish when Fido and Rogers first merged. I recalled my wireless plan have an 'extended network' option for $5 per month, which entitles me to use with all 2G frequencies on Rogers as a Fido customer. This became useless a few years later when 3G becomes important.

Also Fido doesn't offer per second billing for quite awhile.

Today's Fido's advantage over Rogers are lower cost monthly plans. Fido still has cheaper minute and data overcharge. Fidodollars advantage becomes moot with Roger's introduction of Roger Rewards.

I think Fido and Rogers have the same overage rates now.

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

I'll call you out on saying same overage rates. I checked the non promotional offers from Rogers on Jan 2014, Their data overages rates range from $15/300MB on their $30 non data sharing plans to $15/1GB on their data sharing plans. Fido in comparsion have data overage at $5/250MB for under 1GB plans and $10/1GB for over 1GB plans
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@Wufai wrote:
I'll call you out on saying same overage rates. I checked the non promotional offers from Rogers on Jan 2014, Their data overages rates range from $15/300MB on their $30 non data sharing plans to $15/1GB on their data sharing plans. Fido in comparsion have data overage at $5/250MB for under 1GB plans and $10/1GB for over 1GB plans

Looks like you are right. Rogers must have raised theirs because they also used to be $10/1GB overage.

FidoStephane

Hi there 10yearfido,

The following are advantages of being with Fido;

From day one you earn FidoDollars every time you use your phone, which can help you upgrade to a new phone for less. At Fido, we never take your loyalty for granted.

With Fido's new plans, there are no system access or extra network fees.

You can choose a Fido Agreement or no agreement at all, if you're not into commitments. All this, on just about every one of our phones.

Fido customers can change their monthly plan, without fee, anytime they want.

Check your minute, text and data usage from your phone at anytime.

Fido's reliable network covers 94% of Canadian population.

Fido's customer service is experienced, well trained, and cares.

I hope this answers your question.

kamu

@FidoStephane wrote:

Hi there 10yearfido,

The following are advantages of being with Fido;

From day one you earn FidoDollars every time you use your phone, which can help you upgrade to a new phone for less. At Fido, we never take your loyalty for granted.

With Fido's new plans, there are no system access or extra network fees.

You can choose a Fido Agreement or no agreement at all, if you're not into commitments. All this, on just about every one of our phones.

Fido customers can change their monthly plan, without fee, anytime they want.

Check your minute, text and data usage from your phone at anytime.

Fido's reliable network covers 94% of Canadian population.

Fido's customer service is experienced, well trained, and cares.

I hope this answers your question.

Fido has a good product, Fido's problem, BIG PROBLEM is their staff. The seem to think they are doing you a favor by selling their product, absolutely no help once you are a customer and totally unfriendly and often sarcastic. I suggest use any carrier but Fido. I am looking for a new provider and leaning towards Bell or Rogers. I have dealt with both in the past and was very happy. Fido should be closed and try starting again from scratch. Very hard to work with. I have heard and believe the worst of the lot, stay far away from Fido.

tango67

The real issue is the lack of transparency in this cell providers offering. After having been pummeled with $300 Fido monthly bills I requested a Fido package that includes everything I could possibly want all so there wouldn't be any further surprises. Guess what? I still get $200+ monthly bills. Fido is an expert company at seperating you from your money. Case in pointt: a text message received while roaming in the US will cost $7.99 for less than 400 bytes of data. And if you reply the next day, you will get hit with another $7.99 for a 300 byte reply. Hard to imagine why the government allows this sort of usurious billing to continue. If this comapny were related by Cunsumers Report they would be classified as "DON'T DO THIS". Not to mention the customer support people who are not only less than helpful they seem to take great glee when the calling customer is complaining aobut getting outrageous bills.

Go somewhere else to get servic.

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

tango67, I can't completely agree with your assessment  with Fido's pricing structure becuae its taken out of context and it won't be fair reflection of Fido's offerings.

Your example of text msg in US is part of a standard offering of $7.99 for 50MB of data per day. it is a group package which is automated when you visit the US. For the same $7.99/50MB/day you can send MILLIONS of text msg should you choose to, and it would still cost you $7.99.

There are many examples of this type of group billing in canada. your cable provider doesn't offer pay per use, they bundle various channels together and could be consider gouging you unless you watch ALL channels at once 24/7. They also include channels you will never watch, but you pay for them as part of a package. Car insurance is similiar, you pay by the year and can't ask to deduce $3 off today because you don't play to drive.

If roaming is part of your wireless usage I strong suggest you change your stratagy in an effort to reduce your cell phone bills. I don't know the type of plan you have but 200+ a month is excessive considering the ARUP in Canada is about $65 per user.

linaa89
I'm Helpful Level 1

hello. me again

when the fido rep just explained the advantages fido has over rogers, they forgot to mention 

• all wireless providers now provide NO SYSTEM ACESS FEE( it's not a matter of privillage )
  • yes, you can USE your fido dollars when upgrading to a phone but please remember you will be charged a 25 dollar upgrade fee, and depending on how long of a customer you've been with good ol' fido, you're probably only able to afford to pay your upgrade fee and then you have to pay for your phone -so fido dollars for new phone is SHOT right down. thanks.
  • again, all wireless providers allow there customers to change there plan at anytime without any cost. to think a wireless provider would charge you if you were to change your plan is unthinkable.
  • im sure every call center trains there staff to know it all ( which i commend )
  • with rogers, bell, telus and every other provider you can ALWAYS check your minutes and usage at anytime. Why? BECAUSE YOU'RE THE CUSTOMER
Im not trying to be rude to the fido rep, im just stating what i know. hope this helps.

Bill3903

Having read most of the comments on Fido, I'm really not on the same page with many of them and I'm definitely not moving from Fido for a lot of reasons. I came to Fido from Telus when the iPhone first came out because they supported iPhones and Telus didn't (back then). Since then I have had many calls to Customer Service about anything from plan changes to data charges. Every time I have had very fair and considerate responses and most have gone far out of their way to help. The most memorable event was when my iPhone's contact app corrupted and I was billed for over $500 in excessive data charges. Once Apple discovered the problem they wrote me a letter confirming this and Fido credited me with ALL of the excessive data charges. In the past I have been with Bell (yuk!) and Telus (who was also really good), but I have never had any reason to want to change from Fido. Other than wishing they had a North America plan with unlimited everything, I highly recommend Fido and respectfully offer my contrasting view to many of the other comments. It may just be me, but I find if you are nice and work with the reps, they tend to respond in the same way. I'm not sure how others conduct themselves on the phone but I can't think of any times I experienced disrespect. Just saying ...

647nk
I'm a Contributor Level 2

i agree i havent had any issues with Fido.

Ive been given quite a bit of credits in the past but recently i was only able to renew one credit. I guess since the market has changed into what it is now.  Right now rogers charges 50 dollars a GiG for overages charges on most of their share everything plus plans. Which is very silly. one main reason is my 6GB plan isnt offered with any carrier after the switch of three year terms. plus i get 10 dollars a GIG overages charges. until the market settle down again im with fido even if im not earning fido dollars anymore which sucks since i dont get spotify in my plan. Hope this helps.

FidoFanTM
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Basically I would say Rogers has a bigger and better phone line.

Fido just has better and cheaper plans.

If you go with Rogers your plan won't be so bad but you would want a phone upgrade everytime a good phone of your choice comes out.

Fido doesn't really release phones often. It would be better than how Rogers has a new phones every once in a while, and fido doesn't release it. Fido customers who are already on a plan won't worry on upgrading.

But I still think Fido still should release some more Smartphones, considering we only have two at the momment.

Spy2300
Fido Employee

When one compares Fido to Rogers one would typically see that Fido's monthly plan costs are cheaper then Rogers. Rogers does however have a larger phone lineup then Fido does. Hope that helps.