Weak cell phone reception winnipeg

jmso
I'm a Participant Level 1

I recently signed up with fido with my phone (HTC ONE m7). I was previously with Bell and I was able to receive great signal at home and at work now with Fido I am unable to receive any signal. I'm unable to receive LTE, 3g at most, and I am unable to send pictures as well. 

Can anyone help me I called and they advised me that everything is activated on their end... I fixed my APN and all that and reset power off etc. 

1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@jmso wrote:

I recently signed up with fido with my phone (HTC ONE m7). I was previously with Bell and I was able to receive great signal at home and at work now with Fido I am unable to receive any signal. I'm unable to receive LTE, 3g at most, and I am unable to send pictures as well. 

Can anyone help me I called and they advised me that everything is activated on their end... I fixed my APN and all that and reset power off etc. 

Hello Jmso,

Welcome to the forums!

Did you purchase the phone from Bell? Is it unlocked? Assuming you have the Canadian LTE version of that phone, the specifications listed here suggest that the phone whould have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that phone would have at least one of the compatible bands/frequencies, band 4 (1700/21000 MHz). Since they do not specify which band of the 700 MHz, it cannot be determined for certain whether it is also compatible or not.

Are you having trouble using the phone everywhere? Or is it limited to your home and work? You note you get '3G' some places? There are many factors which affect cell signal, including distance from the cell tower. It is possible that your home and work are closer to Telus towers (Bell uses Telus towers west of Ontario) than they are to Rogers towers. You can get an idea of where the cell towers are located here.

Have you verified you have a LTE SIM? Are you able to try your SIM in a different phone? Do you know anyone else with Fido so you might be able to try their SIM in your phone? I understand you fixed your APN, but just to clarify you're using ltemobile.apn. You can verify those settings here, under How to configure Android device.

Have you turned mobile data on? Sending/receiving MMS would require data to be on. You do not need a data plan for MMS. If you did have a data plan, the data within the MMS would not be counted agains any allotted data limits. It would be counted as one of your allotted MMS.

Hope some of this helps Smiley

Cheers