Way Over Data Limit Within Days of Monthly Renew

SOLVED
rachelpapworth
I'm a Participant Level 1

My phone plan for my Iphone 5s includes 500mb of data a month, yet within 2 days of renewal of data for the month it says I've reached 90% of my data usage. A day or two later it says I have met my limit, and within a week I have reached over $50 more than my plan and my data is shut off by Fido. Once shut off, FIDO says I have to use data to enter a website to turn my data back on, meaning I have no way to turn it back on. (Won't let me use the website with Wi-Fi). Regardless of this issue, there is NO WAY I am reaching my data limit in a matter of days. I'm paying over $100 a month because of the supposed "overusage" and have my data shut off for most of the month because apparently I'm reaching my limit in days. Is there a glitch in my phone? Is there a way I can see what applications may be using the data? I am open to jumping up to a better data plan, but I sincerely believe that mine is fine, and that I DO NOT use that much data.

Accepted Solution

Re: Way Over Data Limit Within Days of Monthly Renew

Solved by Moderator

Hey @rachelpapworth,

Welcome to the Community! Smiley

Data usage is affected by many factors, including the model of your phone and the type of usage being done. 

If you're using an iPhone, you can check out "Settings - Cellular - Use Cellular data for" to get an idea of which apps are using most of the data.

Keep in mind that those stats are not reset automatically every month and they represent the data usage done since the last time you reset them manually (if ever).

However they're still an indication on which apps consume most data.

Also, make sure the WiFi Assist if "off" if you're using an iPhone (Settings - Cellular data - scroll down to the complete bottom)

If you have an Android, you can check the usage in Settings - Data Usage - scroll down to the apps. 

You can check out more useful tips and trick on how to minimise your data usage here: http://bit.ly/ManageData

Concerning the re-activation of your data, you'll have to switch  Wi-Fi "off" to be able to do so Smiley

If you choose to reactivate it, data overusage charges will continue to apply.

Keep an eye on My Account since it's the beginning of the cycle! Has the usage reset yet? That could play a factor.

If ever you have specific account related questions, you can contact us on Facebook and Twitter Smiley

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Don't forget that the data you use is not limited to when you're actively using an app. Apps (and the OS itself) can use data even if the phone is apparently idle in your pocket. If your phone syncs with iCloud and there's a lot of data there (pictures?), it will gobble lots of data.

I don't think the iPhone has a built-in data calculator like Android, but I'm sure you can find an app that will provide a similar capability. It should not only tell you how much total data your phone used, but also which apps used how much data.

Hey @rachelpapworth,

Welcome to the Community! Smiley

Data usage is affected by many factors, including the model of your phone and the type of usage being done. 

If you're using an iPhone, you can check out "Settings - Cellular - Use Cellular data for" to get an idea of which apps are using most of the data.

Keep in mind that those stats are not reset automatically every month and they represent the data usage done since the last time you reset them manually (if ever).

However they're still an indication on which apps consume most data.

Also, make sure the WiFi Assist if "off" if you're using an iPhone (Settings - Cellular data - scroll down to the complete bottom)

If you have an Android, you can check the usage in Settings - Data Usage - scroll down to the apps. 

You can check out more useful tips and trick on how to minimise your data usage here: http://bit.ly/ManageData

Concerning the re-activation of your data, you'll have to switch  Wi-Fi "off" to be able to do so Smiley

If you choose to reactivate it, data overusage charges will continue to apply.

Keep an eye on My Account since it's the beginning of the cycle! Has the usage reset yet? That could play a factor.

If ever you have specific account related questions, you can contact us on Facebook and Twitter Smiley

Susandonald
I'm a Participant Level 1

I notice even if I'm using Wi-Fi my data seems to be going up, I have a message stating I've gone over, I rarely go over and don't understand how I got over my plan makes no sense. Fidos getting to expensive, I use to have 5 g plan now says I have 2 g how did that happen

Hey @Susandonald!

Did you look at which app used the more data? Look at the instructions posted by FidoClaudia. 

That will help you understand how did it happen.