Wanting to use Fido S4 in states ( travelling )

I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

Wanting to use Fido S4 in states ( travelling )

Hi, I'm travelling to seattle, california then to vegas probably for a couple months in total.

I have a locked to Fido S4, can I unlock it somewhere so I can use a states sim card?

Or is it better to call Fido and do a US plan ? Which will be more cost efficient? I need to able to call ppl in states / in canada also DATA at all times.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: Wanting to use Fido S4 in states ( travelling )

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to add some information so that everybody will have all the accurate information.

So for the unlocking part:

Yes we are able to unlock Fido phone, and as 10yearfido mentioned, there is a 50$ fee to be able to do so. The eligibility for unlocking the device depends on how and when you purchased the phone.

-For a phone that you got with an agreement: we will be able to unlock the phone 90 days after the purchase date.

-For a phone bought full price from our store or our customer service: the phone can be unlocked right away.

-For devices purchased outside of an authorized Fido sales channel (i.e. Craigslist): the phone must be listed in your equipment history in the system for at least 90 days. Basically this means that the phone MUST be used with your Fido number for at least 90 days before we can unlock it.

For the roaming fees and the travel package available, I invite you to click here. It will bring you to our page where all roaming fees are explained and all our travel pack are described.

Hope it helps!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

@kenshi3 wrote:

Hi, I'm travelling to seattle, california then to vegas probably for a couple months in total.

I have a locked to Fido S4, can I unlock it somewhere so I can use a states sim card?

Or is it better to call Fido and do a US plan ? Which will be more cost efficient? I need to able to call ppl in states / in canada also DATA at all times.

Thanks

You are there for months? Then you should get a US SIM card with prepaid funds. The only time it is more cost effective to roam is if you are there for a day or two. After that, roaming will be many multiples what local service would cost.

You do need to unlock you phone. You can find 3rd parties that can give you the unlock codes, probably for $10-$20. Alternatively, you can have Fido provide the same codes, but they charge $50+tax, so much more expensive. But, even then, it will still be cheaper for you over the two months.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Fido Employee
Fido Employee
Solution

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to add some information so that everybody will have all the accurate information.

So for the unlocking part:

Yes we are able to unlock Fido phone, and as 10yearfido mentioned, there is a 50$ fee to be able to do so. The eligibility for unlocking the device depends on how and when you purchased the phone.

-For a phone that you got with an agreement: we will be able to unlock the phone 90 days after the purchase date.

-For a phone bought full price from our store or our customer service: the phone can be unlocked right away.

-For devices purchased outside of an authorized Fido sales channel (i.e. Craigslist): the phone must be listed in your equipment history in the system for at least 90 days. Basically this means that the phone MUST be used with your Fido number for at least 90 days before we can unlock it.

For the roaming fees and the travel package available, I invite you to click here. It will bring you to our page where all roaming fees are explained and all our travel pack are described.

Hope it helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3