WIFI connection problem with Huawei Y6

9475MONIQUE
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I can connect to my home wifi with password. But when I get to work it does not ask me for the login or password. What Am I doing wrong?

28 REPLIES 28
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@9475MONIQUE wrote:

I can connect to my home wifi with password. But when I get to work it does not ask me for the login or password. What Am I doing wrong?

***Edited to add labels***

Hello 9475Monique,

Welcome to the forums!

Could I please get some clarification as to the issue you're having?

At work, when you go into your Wifi settings, does your work Wifi show up in the available networks? If not, try switching off and turning on your Wifi again. It should show the available networks as well as those 'not in range'. Scroll through the available networks. If it is still not there, you might be able to enter the settings manually by adding a Wifi network. 

If it's there, but won't let you connect, it's possible that the phone has 'remembered' a previous incorrect login/password combination. Select the network and select 'forget' network. You should be then able to re-enter the correct information.

On the other hand, does your work have web-based login/passwords like those of public Wifi or at hotels. That is, a web-page pops-up after connecting to the network. If this is the case, then it's likely an issue with the default web browser. 

If you could pass along some additional information regarding your specific issue, it would help trying to figure out a possible solution. Smiley

Cheers

9475MONIQUE

Thank you for your replies.

At work it shows the wifi public, my old phone would then ask for my login and password. but with my new Huawei Y6 it does not ask. it says that it is saved, but also says "denied access to network".

@9475MONIQUE wrote:

Thank you for your replies.

At work it shows the wifi public, my old phone would then ask for my login and password. but with my new Huawei Y6 it does not ask. it says that it is saved, but also says "denied access to network".

Hello,

The Wifi at work, do you have your own login and password? Or is the login and password the same for everyone? Also, with your old phone, do you remember if a new web-page would open up to enter your login and password?

When does it say 'denied access to network'? Is it right when you select the Wifi? Or when you try to use internet or network etc? Does your phone actually connect to the Wifi?

I'm trying to figure out (here and in my previous post) whether the login and password are for the router or for your access to the network.

I'm guessing that since it's public, it would be similar to other public Wifi (ie McDonald's, hotels) which require a web-based login. As I alluded previously, some web browsers do not automatically pop up the login screen. You may have to try to browse the web (any page should work) and then it should redirect to the login page. You may have to try a couple of different browsers as I do not remember which one doesn't work for this. (I have a vague recollection that Chrome does not work...)

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

9475MONIQUE

On my old windows phone it would open another page to put a login and password. 

Yes it is the same as everybody else here.

Asked our tech guys if it was the equipment here, they rebooted everything and still can't get on.

It says that It saves the network then says access denied.

When I try to go online it goes on my phone data.

I can sign in to places like a friends house which just asks me for a password.

I will download another browser and see if that might help.

Thanks for the info.

9475MONIQUE

I have also downloaded another browser. Still not able to get on.

Hello again,

Have you tried to browse any sites with the new web browser? Which additional browser did you download?

I do remember now what I had to do previously. Chrome and Firefox would not work but the stock internet app was the only one that would bring up the login page for me. Apparently, it doesn't work with Opera either. However, some people have had success with Dolphin.

Other potential solutions I have found online:

a)

- SETTINGS, WI-FI ON, CONNECT TO THE NETWORK
- LONG PRESS THE WI-FI NETWORK YOU ARE ALREADY CONNECTED TO
- CHOOSE "MODIFY NETWORK
- MAKE IT SHOW THE ADVANCED OPTIONS, CLICKING THE CHECK BOX (MIGHT BE ALREADY CHECKED)
- SET THE PROXY SETTINGS TO NONE (NOT MANUAL)
- SAVE

b)

Go to your network connection>modify network>change connection from DHCP to static>use gateway address same as ip address, use dns1=8.8.8.8 and dns2=8.8.4.4. ---------->now you should be able to get to the login page

I have not tried those suggestions, but they seemed to have helped some people.

Hope one of these works for you Smiley

Cheers

9475MONIQUE

Hello and thank you for your help. 

I went through all the steps you have listed above and still no luck.

Hey 9475MONIQUE!

Can you try to ''forget'' the current WiFi configuration. 

To proceed go on Settings-> Wireless & Network->then Wi-Fi.

Select the WiFi network at your work, then press Forget. That'll remove that trusted network from your Wi-Fi network list. 

Then try to connect again. Once connected, open the app ''browser''.

Let me know if that worked for you, if it didn't, what do you see once you open the ''browser'' app?

Hello 9475Monique,

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Hopefully someone else on here might have some additional thoughts or suggestions you might try.

Best of luck Smiley

Cheers

9475MONIQUE

Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

9475MONIQUE

Dear 

Hey 9475MONIQUE!

Do you see an error message when you try to access the browser?

9475MONIQUE

Hi Stephen,

my phone lets me go to any browser, it just goes to my data plan. no error when I try to connect to my work wifi plan. my other phone would open up a browser automaticaly and as for my login name and password. Any where else that I go to with wifi it just asks me for the password while I can log in. I don;t know how else to explain it. 

Very strange... 

At this point, I'd suggest doing a factory reset of your phone. You should be able to find this in Settings > Backup & reset > factory reset.

Let us know how it goes!

9475MONIQUE

I have already done a factory reset. still no luck.

Hello,

I'm not sure if you've found a solution to your problem. However, I recently came across another suggestion which may help. In your web browser, head to 192.168.1.1, the most common default router IP address. Apparently, more often than not, you'll then be redirected to the login page.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

9475MONIQUE

Thank you for the help. unfortunetly it did not help. 

Hey @9475MONIQUE!

Have you noticed if this problem is only occurring at work? If the issue happens with more than one Wi-Fi connection I may have to suggest contacting the manufacturer. Otherwise it might be a good idea to also check with any I.T support you have at work about if there were any modification to the Wi-Fi set-up. 

Keep us updated. Smiley 

9475MONIQUE

Yes it is only at work, I have brought this problem up to our IT department. they have rebooted the modem and the servers, still no wifi.  thank you for your help.

Hey @9475MONIQUE!

Can you post a screencap of the error message you are getting?