Voice Mail Notification not receiving on my iphone 4

SOLVED
Ahussain
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi

Yesterday I moved from Rogers to Fido network. But I am not getting any notification of voice mail, when someone left me a message. No Reddot on voice mail icon, no SMS. I received the sms only after 4 or 5 hours. When I was with Rogers, I was able to get the VM notification rightaway with 1+ on my phone icon and red dot on voice mail icon. I contacted the customers services, they told me that they fixed the problem. I did the following as per their request.

Turn off the phone for 5-10 minutes after they told me that it is fixed and i have to turn it off for 5 minutes

then I did rest net work, nothing happened and finally they told me to do the hard reset which is done. but my problem is not fixed yet. Any advise/solution how to fix it please. I usually get important messages, while I am away from my phone. Would really appreciate you help in this regard to fix the problem.

Accepted Solution

Re: Voice Mail Notification not receiving on my iphone 4

Solved by I'm a Participant Level 3 Ahussain

Hi

VM notification problem is fixed. The credit goes to Mr. Michel who works in Fido store in Fair View Mall, Pointe-Claire. I am very thankful to you Mr. Michel for your help and excellent customer service.

How this was resolved.

If you have a visual voicemail on your iphone, you need to have the data plan also to get the notifications right away. But if you don't have then you need to switch to basic voice mail, then you will be able to receive the VM notifications right away. Otherwise it won't work. It will not show you red dot on voicemail icon, but you will get a message notification.

Thanks Mr. Michel for your help in this regard.

View solution in context
10 REPLIES 10
Ahussain
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi

VM notification problem is fixed. The credit goes to Mr. Michel who works in Fido store in Fair View Mall, Pointe-Claire. I am very thankful to you Mr. Michel for your help and excellent customer service.

How this was resolved.

If you have a visual voicemail on your iphone, you need to have the data plan also to get the notifications right away. But if you don't have then you need to switch to basic voice mail, then you will be able to receive the VM notifications right away. Otherwise it won't work. It will not show you red dot on voicemail icon, but you will get a message notification.

Thanks Mr. Michel for your help in this regard.

Thanks for sharing and glad to hear it's fixed!

ify
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hello,

People keep telling they left me voicemails but i havent gotten any of them.

FidoStephen
Community Manager

@ify wrote:

Hello,

People keep telling they left me voicemails but i havent gotten any of them.

Hi ify,

Do you hear a message saying that your voicemail is empty after accessing it? 

frozencookie
I'm a Participant Level 2

This is very frustrating.

I've been with Fido for more than three years and never managed to get my voice mail notifications working properly, despite talking to many support people and spending much time on support calls.

I have an Android phone and my problem is that my VM notifications will eventually come in, but it could be as late as a week and half after the message has been left. To be clear: the message was left and is available if I call my voice mail to look if I have a message, but I am just notified that I got a new VM much after the fact.

I've also been told that the Visual Voice mail only works when connected to data (not wifi). I have 2 comments on this:

1) Not true since I leave home and work every day and therefore go on my data connection many times a day and still don't get the notifications.

2) Even if this worked, what kind of a system is that? Most people are on wifi most of the time.

I’ve just finished a call (again) with Fido support and the person was nice and all, but did not fix my issue. Three options were proposed to me, none of which I think work:
1) To buy an extra option package to try to fix it.
2) To switch to the most basic voice mail package that only allows me to get three messages a day before my voice mail is full.
3) I was asked if I have an iPhone, because apparently, you can get a text message when you get a new VM, which I think would be an acceptable solution, but not on Android :-(.

I am waiting for my contact to complete and then I am moving to a different provider for sure.

Hi @frozencookie!

Thanks for the information! 

I can confirm that the visual voicemail will NOT WORK if you are connected on a Wi-Fi network.  You need to use mobile data in order for the visual voicemail to work. 

The reason behind this is quite technical. Your voicemail messages are saved on Fido's server, the only way to access that server is through your mobile data connection.

When you are connected through a Wi-Fi network, you have access to internet, but not to the specific server that keep your voicemail messages.

Regarding the notifications that are delayed, a few things can explain why it happens, the OS is corrupted, there's a wrong setting in your phone(retrieval number for your voicemail is incorrect) or maybe something we need to look at on our side.

I can take a look at your line to make sure everything is OK on our side. Sounds good?

@FidoManuel wrote:

I can confirm that the visual voicemail will NOT WORK if you are connected on a Wi-Fi network.  You need to use mobile data in order for the visual voicemail to work. 

Hello FidoManuel,

Can we clarify that statement please? I understand the necessity for data to be enabled on the phone, but are we certain it won't work when connected to Wifi? It seems to work for me.

Just to make sure we're referring to the same thing. For android, the visual voicemail is the premium voice-to-text system since there is no app for android or blackberry anymore. When someone leaves a voicemail, we get a MMS with a recording of the message as well as its transcription. I have always been able to receive MMS (pictures or voicemail message) while connected to Wifi. Yes, my data is enabled, but all internet use is via Wifi. If I don't have my data enabled, I will still receive the text portion with a link to download the message portion. Enabling data will then allow me to download the voicemail message -- even though I'm still connected to Wifi.

Perhaps the visual voicemail app for iPhone won't work while connected to Wifi. I understand the thread refers to iPhone, however, Frozencookie noted they had an android phone.

@frozencookie Which voicemail system does your plan have? I was under the impression that if you previously had Visual Voicemail, then you would automatically got switched to the voice-to-text system. However, you might have to ask them to enable it as this community member did here. I could have been mistaken though. It might have been because I also had value pack...

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @Cawtau

Sure let me clarify all this!
The MMS-voicemail you are referring to will work on Wi-Fi.

What doesn't work without mobile data is the Visual voicemail, we used to have that feature for android a few years ago.

If @frozencookie have that specific version of the  voicemail, it will not work on Wi-Fi.

Hope it's more clear?

frozencookie
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi.

I understand the technical limitation, but this is really a design flaw. I don’t believe this is an acceptable solution to only get VM when on data.

As for looking for alternatives, I am now setup (as of earlier today), with the basic VM service and I am receiving text messages when a new VM comes in. That is fine for me. I am limited to 3 messages a day, which is quite annoying, but at least I’ll have up to three messages working.

Thanks for the attention anyway.

Thanks for the feedback @frozencookie, I'll forward it to the team in charge of our voicemail service. If there's anything else I can help you with, feel free to reach out Smiley