VoLTE question

VoLTE question

VoLTE question

SOLVED
mikeypas
I'm a Participant Level 3

VoLTE question

Hi! I just received my iphone 6S plus today, and noticed under settings | cellular , there is ENABLE LTE, it was set to DATA. But there is an option VOICE + DATA.

I assume this pertains to Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?

I'm a little curious to understand exactly what this is, and what the benefit is? It was my understanding from reading several posts, that data goes through LTE, but if I receive or make a call, and use data at the same time, its actually slowed down to 3G. Is this correct?

Therefore the VoLTE would mean that data would be transfered at LTE while voice communication is happening? [if so, not clear how it would improve voice quality?]

And also importantly, in the FIDO faq, the billing questions are all greyed out. I want to know if they charge extra if I enable that VOICE + DATA on my phone? I asked FIDO CHAT, and he said since I'm not on a PULSE plan (don't even know what that is), I would be charged. Any insights?

Thanks for everyone's explanations!

Mike

Accepted Solution

Re: VoLTE question

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@mikeypas wrote:

I'm a little curious to understand exactly what this is, and what the benefit is? It was my understanding from reading several posts, that data goes through LTE, but if I receive or make a call, and use data at the same time, its actually slowed down to 3G. Is this correct?

Therefore the VoLTE would mean that data would be transfered at LTE while voice communication is happening? [if so, not clear how it would improve voice quality?]

Hello Mikeypas,

Welcome to the forums!

Tending to your curiosity gets a little technical. Without voLTE, voice calls are transmitted via 2G and/or '3G'. A LTE capable phone (assuming within LTE coverage) will standby in LTE and then switch to '3G' or 2G to make or receive calls. Before voLTE, making/receiving a call and using data at the same could only be done using '3G'. Note however, that data could have been potentially at 4G speeds if the connection was HSPA+.

The reason phones have to switch networks has to do with how the information (voice or data) is transmitted. No matter what the data is or how fast it’s being transferred, it needs to be packaged and sent so that other points on the network can interpret it.

Older networks use circuit-switching technology. In a circuit-switching system, a connection is established directly to the target through the network, and the entirety of the connection, whether it’s a phone call or a file transfer, happens through that connection.

Newer networks take advantage of packet-switching technology, a modern protocol that takes advantage of the much larger number of connected points across the globe. In a packet-switching network, your information is broken up into small chunks which are then sent to your destination over whatever path is currently the most efficient. If a node drops out of your connection in the circuit-switching networks, you’ll have to reconnect, but in a packet-switching network the next packet will simply hunt for a different path.

Because voice networks still use circuit-switching technology, it became necessary to reconcile the difference between older and newer network structures. A few different methods have been enacted that deal with the issue. They do this by either allowing the phone to fall back to circuit-switching standards when used to make or receive a call, or by using packet-switching communication for data and circuit-switching for voice at the same time. 

Since LTE strictly uses packet-switching, it is necessary to fall back to '3G' or 2G's circuit-switching for voice calls. VoLTE offers a third option whereby voice audio is sent as data packets via the LTE networks. Because of LTE's speed and bandwidth, voLTE has up to three times more voice and data capacity than '3G'. The increased capacity allows for an extended frequency range of audio signals thereby resulting in higher quality speech.

So why doesn't everyone just use voLTE? As mentioned above, the data needs to be packaged and sent so that other points on the network can interpret it. It is not possible to send packets via a circuit. So the caveat is that both parties have to be capable of voLTE to in order to benefit. Unfortunately, there are currently relatively few phones in use which are capable of voLTE.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
9 REPLIES 9
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@mikeypas wrote:

Hello Mikeypas,

Welcome to the forums!

Tending to your curiosity gets a little technical. Without voLTE, voice calls are transmitted via 2G and/or '3G'. A LTE capable phone (assuming within LTE coverage) will standby in LTE and then switch to '3G' or 2G to make or receive calls. Before voLTE, making/receiving a call and using data at the same could only be done using '3G'. Note however, that data could have been potentially at 4G speeds if the connection was HSPA+.

The reason phones have to switch networks has to do with how the information (voice or data) is transmitted. No matter what the data is or how fast it’s being transferred, it needs to be packaged and sent so that other points on the network can interpret it.

Older networks use circuit-switching technology. In a circuit-switching system, a connection is established directly to the target through the network, and the entirety of the connection, whether it’s a phone call or a file transfer, happens through that connection.

Newer networks take advantage of packet-switching technology, a modern protocol that takes advantage of the much larger number of connected points across the globe. In a packet-switching network, your information is broken up into small chunks which are then sent to your destination over whatever path is currently the most efficient. If a node drops out of your connection in the circuit-switching networks, you’ll have to reconnect, but in a packet-switching network the next packet will simply hunt for a different path.

Because voice networks still use circuit-switching technology, it became necessary to reconcile the difference between older and newer network structures. A few different methods have been enacted that deal with the issue. They do this by either allowing the phone to fall back to circuit-switching standards when used to make or receive a call, or by using packet-switching communication for data and circuit-switching for voice at the same time. 

Since LTE strictly uses packet-switching, it is necessary to fall back to '3G' or 2G's circuit-switching for voice calls. VoLTE offers a third option whereby voice audio is sent as data packets via the LTE networks. Because of LTE's speed and bandwidth, voLTE has up to three times more voice and data capacity than '3G'. The increased capacity allows for an extended frequency range of audio signals thereby resulting in higher quality speech.

So why doesn't everyone just use voLTE? As mentioned above, the data needs to be packaged and sent so that other points on the network can interpret it. It is not possible to send packets via a circuit. So the caveat is that both parties have to be capable of voLTE to in order to benefit. Unfortunately, there are currently relatively few phones in use which are capable of voLTE.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

mikeypas

Hi Cawtau,

Thanks so much for your in-depth and detailed reply. It gave me a great deal of understanding on this subject.

My question is regarding the ios setting, under SETTINGS | CARRIER | ENABLE LTE, it has the option of DATA and VOICE+DATA. Which should I select?

I do not want to incur any additional charges.

Thanks!

@mikeypas wrote:

Hi Cawtau,

Thanks so much for your in-depth and detailed reply. It gave me a great deal of understanding on this subject.

My question is regarding the ios setting, under SETTINGS | CARRIER | ENABLE LTE, it has the option of DATA and VOICE+DATA. Which should I select?

Thanks!

Hello again,

First, here's some more information regarding Fido's voLTE. If you have a Pulse plan, using voLTE within Canada is free of charge. If you do not have a Pulse plan, it will be rated at $0.35 a minute.

For now, I'm not sure if iPhones are able to use voLTE on Fido. @FidoRachel noted above that Apple hasn't enabled the service on their devices since they offer FaceTime. However, I think Rogers introduced voLTE for some of their newest iPhones last October (see here). Whether it will also be available for those phones on Fido has yet to be seen, I think (see here).

I don't think any of us should tell you which LTE setting to choose. However, here are some thoughts to help guide you into making your decision. If you have a Pulse plan, it wouldn't really matter which option you chose, DATA or VOICE+DATA, because using voLTE it wouldn't involve any additional costs. On the other hand, you might consider choosing DATA if you do not have a Pulse plan. You might also consider choosing DATA until there is confirmation that voLTE would work with your phone.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hi Cawatu,

$0.35 a minute charge for VoLTE call only applies for Video calls outside of local calling area and you are using a Non-Pulse plan.   

You can find more info here: http://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/fido-volte

Becasue currently, only the LG Stylo, Samsung Galaxy S6 and the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is compatible with VoLTE, and mikeypas is using iPhone, he cannot make a Video call using VoLTE network yet, therefor there is no charge for him to enable LTE or not.  

@AdamBeast wrote:

Hello,

Thanks. Just a FYI though, answers to the questions under Billing are not currently available...

Cheers

@Cawtau wrote:

@AdamBeast wrote:

Hello,

Thanks. Just a FYI though, answers to the questions under Billing are not currently available...

Cheers

Ya, I noticed it as well, and I'll sumit it to the fido.ca team. Thanks. 

@mikeypas wrote:

Hi Cawtau,

Thanks!

Hi mikeypas, 

You can select any one you want, there is no additional charge for using Fido LTE network at all. 

The worst scenario is that you may not be able to use LTE network, but there is no charge to use LTE if you meet all requiements. 

FidoRachel
Former Moderator

Hey @mikeypas,

You won't be billed extra by turning on a feature in your phone. But keep in mind if you go over what's included in your plan, then you'll be billed for over usage.

Click here for more info on VoLTE. 

For now, Apple hasn't enabled the service on their devices since they offer FaceTime.

mikeypas

Thanks FidoRachel for your reply!

(Your link appears to be broken)

Do you happen to know then , in the SETTINGS | CELLULAR on my iphone, when it says ENABLE LTE, should I put VOICE + DATA or just DATA ?

Thanks