VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling, and Video LTE Calls, on S7 Not Working

I'm a Contributor Level 1 Ardalan
I'm a Contributor Level 1

VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling, and Video LTE Calls, on S7 Not Working

Hi there,

I have a Fido BYOP non-Pulse Plan and I am using an S7 that I purchased unlocked from Samsung (XAC Firmware). I have put in my Fido SIM and flashed the Fido Firmware onto it.

The  VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling, and Video LTE Calls, on my S7 don't work.

How do I get this enabled on my device? Will I need a 2 year contract? A Pulse Plan? And why has Fido blocked this service with people  that don't buy a phone from Fido?

It's clearly not my phone's problem because it worked perfectly with my friend's SIM and they hadn't activated this service before. I started and finished the activation process all on my device, just using their SIM in it.

Thanks,

Ardalan

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 10

Re: VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling, and Video LTE Calls, on S7 Not Working

Adding on,

When I try to set the process   up through my PC  by going to "fido.ca/androidwifi", It still says 

"Looks like your device isn’t eligible for Wi-Fi Calling. Reach us at fido.ca/contactus"

How do you know my device isn't compatible? I'm even doing in though my PC. It's more like saying "well, WE disabled the feature because you didn't sign a contract to stay with us for 2 years"

I need some sort of logical explanation to this rule. 

Thanks again,

Ardalan

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 10
Former Moderator FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Hi @Ardalan!

A non-Fido phone is not optimized for our network. Somes features like those you've mentioned will not work unless you have a Fido branded phone. 

You can read some information here: http://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/wifi-calling. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 10

Hi Manuel,

But why is that the reason? Clearly, my phone is compatible even though it's not a Fido phone, because it works fine with a SIM card that is linked to a line that's on a contract.

Why is Fido blocking these services to accounts not on a contract from their side? Is there a technical reason?

Thanks,

Ardalan

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 10
Former Moderator FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Hi @Ardalan

We're not able to add the IMEI of any unlocked device in our system as it's not in our IMEI lists. For that reason, certain services won't work as they need that registered. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 10

Hi Megan, but this system works with iPhone even if it's unclocked. Why?

Also. Does Fido plan to bring Voice LTE to Android users that have purchased their phones unclocked in the future?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 10

All this is very confusing to me,  I have a line on contract with an iPhone but when I put that SIM into an S7 unlocked, it works. But why won't it work when I put a SIM from a  no-phone plan into the same phone, it won't work. It just seems like it's Fido's way of making a few extra bucks.

All those strange results from my tests aside. How can I get VoLTE, Video Calling and Wi-Fi calling on my unlocked (purchased from Samsung) S7 on the Fido network?

Ardalan

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 10

Hey Ardalan!

We're exploring our options to be able to offer this for unlocked Android phones as well in the future however we cannot offer any guarantees on if or when this will be available.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 10

Thank you,

So is there any way to get this right now?

Through a 2-year term contract. But still by using my unlocked phone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 10

Hey @Ardalan

The only types of agreements available come with phone subsidies. The number cannot be on a 2-year term contract unless you were doing an upgrade with a new phone on TAB24 agreement. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 10