Vivaz Pro data usage

Vivaz Pro data usage

Vivaz Pro data usage

SOLVED
I'm a Participant Level 1

Vivaz Pro data usage

I just got a new Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro handset on Fido and I was wondering about data usage. Customer service suggested that I go for the Unlimited Browsing on handset option (which is included in my Value Pack) and that it should be sufficient for this phone.

Playing with the phone a bit, I did notice that it has a few applications that can use data and I was wondering if they were all covered by the unlimited browsing option:

-E-mail (not Mobile Mail but the internal e-mail application of the phone)

-Facebook

-Google Maps

-Google

So are these all covered by the unlimited browsing option? Anything is not covered by it?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Vivaz Pro data usage

Solved by I'm Experienced Level 3

From what I have gathered, the only exceptions are MobileMail and Instant Messaging Apps. MobileMail will incur charges of $0.20  for each email sent or received. Instant Messaging will incur charges of $0.15 for each instant message sent but it's free to receive if you use the pre-installed Instant Messaging app on your phone.

You DON'T need a data plan for Mobile Mail or Instant Messaging. There's an $8/month bundle you can get for both OR $5 add-on for EITHER MobileMail OR Instant Messaging.

Tethering is also not allowed as you will incur data charges.

Everything else is covered under UMB.

I've used the Messaging App to get my emails (though I haven't sent anything out). I also got SPB Mobile Shell and use the Weather Panel to get updates on a when needed basis. I've downloaded apps (not from Fido Store) using Opera Mobile and still 'playing' around with the device. I've actually uinstalled MobileMail as well as IM apps (have no need for them).

Unlimited mobile browsing add-on
Includes on-device mobile browsing, excluding tethering (use of device as wireless modem) on select Fido certified devices. Usage subject to Fido terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy, Fido.ca/terms. Data transmission charges of 3¢/KB apply when roaming.

What is included in the Unlimited mobile browsing add-on
This add-on includes Unlimited browsing and application use ( i.e Google Maps, Gmails etc) on your Fido phone. It is only available on select phones (Windows Mobile® devices, Laptop Internet devices and non-Fido certified phones are not eligible).

What is not included in the Unlimited mobile browsing add-on
Tethering — Tethering is when you use your phone as a wireless modem to connect to the Internet via a laptop. The phone can be connected via USB cable or Bluetooth. Once connected, you can access the Internet wirelessly on your laptop using the Fido wireless network.

Data roaming charges apply, in addition to regular subscription fees when accessing the mobile Internet while roaming outside the Fido GPRS/EDGE/3G network.

View solution in context
11 REPLIES 11
I'm a Participant Level 3

@thedjomni - To answer you original question, I have the answer here...

Like you, I am also a Vivaz Pro user and purchased the data value pack (which is the unlimited data pack for browsing only - $1 per day, $3 per week or $10 per month), to get online browsing, go on to facebook, google, google map and sending email.

Using Facebook, google, google map or browsing any web site are included with the data value pack. No additional charges.

Sending e-mails, no matter if you are using the Mobile Mail or the build in e-mail tool on the phone, you will be charged by Fido at $0.20 for each e-mail you sent or received.

Note: You need to have one of the data value pack to even start sending / receiving e-mails. Unless if you have a data plan (e.g. $25per month w/500mb limit), then there will be no additional charges to send / receive e-mails. As long as all your e-mails, browsing and downloads don't exceed your monthly data limit, then you won't get extra charges. 

I'm a Contributor Level 1

This discussion is most interesting.  I signed up with Fido, getting a Vivaz Pro, a week ago and was told that the $10 per month "unlimited" browsing pack applied to WAP sites only, and that browsing any regular html sight would involve a charge of 5¢ per kilobyte.  This would be a ruinous amount so I opted to do without a data plan and confine my web activity to WiFi locations.  Apparently I was misinformed?

I'm Experienced Level 3

From what I have gathered, the only exceptions are MobileMail and Instant Messaging Apps. MobileMail will incur charges of $0.20  for each email sent or received. Instant Messaging will incur charges of $0.15 for each instant message sent but it's free to receive if you use the pre-installed Instant Messaging app on your phone.

You DON'T need a data plan for Mobile Mail or Instant Messaging. There's an $8/month bundle you can get for both OR $5 add-on for EITHER MobileMail OR Instant Messaging.

Tethering is also not allowed as you will incur data charges.

Everything else is covered under UMB.

I've used the Messaging App to get my emails (though I haven't sent anything out). I also got SPB Mobile Shell and use the Weather Panel to get updates on a when needed basis. I've downloaded apps (not from Fido Store) using Opera Mobile and still 'playing' around with the device. I've actually uinstalled MobileMail as well as IM apps (have no need for them).

Unlimited mobile browsing add-on
Includes on-device mobile browsing, excluding tethering (use of device as wireless modem) on select Fido certified devices. Usage subject to Fido terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy, Fido.ca/terms. Data transmission charges of 3¢/KB apply when roaming.

What is included in the Unlimited mobile browsing add-on
This add-on includes Unlimited browsing and application use ( i.e Google Maps, Gmails etc) on your Fido phone. It is only available on select phones (Windows Mobile® devices, Laptop Internet devices and non-Fido certified phones are not eligible).

What is not included in the Unlimited mobile browsing add-on
Tethering — Tethering is when you use your phone as a wireless modem to connect to the Internet via a laptop. The phone can be connected via USB cable or Bluetooth. Once connected, you can access the Internet wirelessly on your laptop using the Fido wireless network.

Data roaming charges apply, in addition to regular subscription fees when accessing the mobile Internet while roaming outside the Fido GPRS/EDGE/3G network.

@Grandizer - Thanks for the correction.  Yes, you are right, we don't need a data plan / data pack for Mobile Mail or using the Messaging Apps. to send / receive e-mails. They are simply just being charged at $0.20 each e-mail sent or received.

For all reader, please disregard just the end Note on my previous post.

I'm a Participant Level 2

Has nobody answered this question yet?

I'm an Expert Level 2

in my experience, if something you use on your phone is not covered by the unlimited on-device mobile browsing, you will get a text message saying "you have attempted to use a data blablabla bla bla bla" etc..

The unlimited browsing plan covers everything the Vivaz can do except tethering. If you can do it on the phone itself even with third party applications, its included and you will not be charged. That's been my experience. There used to be all kinds of restrictions but when they raised the browsing package price to $10.00 per month the restrictions (except tethering) were all removed.
I'm Qualified Level 1

Usually..from what I notice..web pages that are optimised will contain this sort of info in the url

http://m.........

http://................m

http://mobile................

http://................/mobile

ect......

I'm Qualified Level 1

This has always been a contenious issue...how can the user tell the difference between Webpages optimised for GSM phones with small screens....I wont try to go into details...but this article may give some insight....

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/iphone_vs_mobile_web.php

The important question to ask is : what if you access a NON-OPTIMISED WEBPAGE...will you be charged for data ??

I purchased an unlimited mobile browsing add-on last month. My rep assured me that mobile browsing covers everything my phone can do except for when I download ringtones/games off the Fido website.

i would like to know the answer as well