Visual VoiceMail Plus Delayed Delivery

MJBRANDYS
I'm a Contributor Level 2

I have been trying to resolve a problem with Visual Voice Mail on my Samsung S7, where voice notifications (and transcripts) would not arrive for several hours.

I started to notice a pattern where all of my voice mails would arrive within a few minutes of leaving my home office (which is not all the convenient when you are driving).

As near, as I can tell the (poorly designed) VVM Plus app does not response when my S7 is connected to my home WIFI. I only get notifications if I am connected to the LTE network.

I am hoping the others can verify that this pattern and hopefully encourage FIDO to fix this APP.

(calling FIDO about this problem has proven to be very frustrating and has not resulted in any action)

26 REPLIES 26
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Mjbrandys,

As far as I am aware, I don't believe the visual voicemail app/service for Android/Blackberry is supported by Fido anymore (see here and here). If you had visual voicemail plus previously, then you might still be able to use it. The new voicemail system would be the premium voice to text service.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely Fido will update or attempt to fix the app since it is no longer offered by Fido.

Did you previously have VVM+ on your account before you got your Samsung S7? If you did, you might consider sending a moderator a PM, or contacting Fido via Twitter or Facebook, or contacting Fido via customer service to switch voice messaging systems. 

**edit**

@MJBRANDYS wrote:

... VVM Plus app does not response when my S7 is connected to my home WIFI. I only get notifications if I am connected to the LTE network.

While the VVM+ app does not necessarily require LTE per se, it does require a data connection. It will not work with Wifi.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

MJBRANDYS

I had VVM+ on 2 different phones prior to the S7, which I purchased in the spring. The APP has always been unreliable (and user hostile), but it is definitely worse on the S7. I have called Fido's help line and on a number of occasions but no has come forward and said the APP is unsupported or offered a newer solution (the premium Voicemail to Text).

The APP fails to synchonize when I am in Wifi coverage. LTE is on and available within my home at all times. The work around is to turn off Wifi on the phone, which means now I comsuming a lot more of my Data Plan.

@MJBRANDYS wrote:

... no has come forward and said the APP is unsupported or offered a newer solution (the premium Voicemail to Text).

Hello again,

Visual voicemail plus for iPhone is still available and supported. It is only the android and Blackberry versions of the app which are not supported/offered by Fido anymore. It's possible the people on the helpline you have spoken with, misunderstood which version you were having issues with.

Now you know the android version of the app is no longer supported by Fido. As such, the app will unlikely get updated. **edit** You can choose to continue to use the app with its current issues, or** As mentioned before, you might consider contacting Fido regarding your other voicemail options.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

MJBRANDYS

Thanks, the informaiton is very helpful.

I wish I could find someone at Fido who I could contact to resolve this.

Can you suggest anyone besides going for another 20+ minutes on hold on the help line???

If the App is no longer supported, and there are known issues on Android then hopefully FIDO support will stop trying to have me do stupid things to my phone and give me another means of determining if I have Voice Mail (calling in to the voice mail server every 10 minutes is not a options)

Hey @MJBRANDYS

In this case it would seem that the Premium Voicemail-To-Text might be a more suitable option for your voice messaging needs. 

I'll go ahead and send you a PM so we can take a closer look into this together. Smiley 

MJBRANDYS

To be honest, I am not sure what a PM is. Hopefully you can contact me via EMAIL, or via my Cell

@MJBRANDYS wrote:

To be honest, I am not sure what a PM is. Hopefully you can contact me via EMAIL, or via my Cell

Hello again,

A PM is a private message sent between members of the community. For privacy reasons, the public community does not have access to your email or mobile number. You would need to respond to FidoPierre's PM and verify some account information (securely) before the moderators would have access to your account information.

To access your private messages (PMs), you click on your community name near the top on the right, beside your avatar --> click on the envelope symbol. You can then read and respond to PMs like you would regular email.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

MJBRANDYS

I have done some further investigation, based on the fact the VVM+ app will not work correctly when connected to WIFI.

I setup up a hot spot on my wife's IPHONE, which is also connected to FIDO. I then connected my WIFI to this hotspot, which puts it on the same network as when I am outside of the house using LTE.

The app works as expected when connected to the FIDO network via a hot spot. I get my Voice Mail Notifications within 1 minute.

This would imply some sort of routing problem. It may be SHAW (my Internet provider) is blocking this, or it may be FIDO has fire-walled off access from other networks, or it still may be the App not working correctly on the Samsung S7 (where it is unable to force the data to route thru the LTE connection when WIFI is turned on.).

@MJBRANDYS it definitely seems that the WIFI is preventing you from getting your messages with the app. I'm not entirely familiar with visual voicemail for Androids, but with iPhones, voicemails will not come through WIFI; only through cellular data. This may be the case with your app as well.

MJBRANDYS

It would be nice to get FIDO to officially recognize that the problem with the App and stop trying to diagnose the phone,  repair the phone,  or replace my phone or SIM card. 

It would appear that may people agree in this forum agree that this app is no longer supported.

Therefore is no point doing a bunch of disagnotics or repairs to my phone (which works does work correctly for all other apps, and for this app when connected to LTE).

FIDO needs to retire / replace the Visual Voice Mail Plus App and offer customer's using Android phones a replacement service.

(BTW, I have been using an Android phone since 2011, this is my 3rd Android Phone, all phones were purchased from FIDO. I did not switch from an IPHONE and then discover this service no longer works.)

Hello again,

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for here.

@MJBRANDYS wrote:

It would be nice to get FIDO to officially recognize that the problem with the App ...

They have recognized the problem is with the app. That is the reason the app is no longer supported. Officially, there is no offering on the Fido website to download the app. In fact, it clearly states on Google Play, that it's *No longer offered by Fido*

@MJBRANDYS wrote:

FIDO needs to retire / replace the Visual Voice Mail Plus App and offer customer's using Android phones a replacement service...

Fido has replaced the Visual Voicemail Plus service with the Premium Voicemail-To-Text service. However, that does not preclude individuals from trying to continue using the app despite its known issues

Have you responded to FidoPierre's private message? Was he able to switch your service to the voicemail-to-text service?

Cheers

MJBRANDYS

Yes, I have replied to the Private Message,

Which states officially this app is not supported and is not expected to work correctly on my phone

I have posted my reply below, which I think again states what I have been asking all along.

==================================================================

Yes, that answers my first question,

The second question (and more important question) is what is FIDO going to do for me to replaced this service.??

I have been using (and paying) for a Voice Mail Service for Over 5 years. FIDO Should offer me another service at no cost, or discount my current service.

Hopefully, everyone a FIDO will stop trying diagnose this issue and instead offer a replacment service.

It would be nice if someone from FIDO would actually call me and offer me some options.

(it would also be nice if they updated "customer service" with this information so other people do not have to go thru the same Hell I did.)

=======================================================================

so just in case it is not clear:

I want someone to get me a replacement service, and I do not want to pay more or change my plan to get it.

Hello again,

Have you tried deleting the app? I technically have visual voicemail with my plan as well since it's an older plan. However, since I don't have the app on my phone, I do get the voicemail-to-text service.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

MJBRANDYS

No, I did quickly uninstall and reinstall it yesterday.

I would like some positive confirmation that this will work, before I go to the trouble of deleting it, and missing even more voice mails than I do now.

@MJBRANDYS wrote:

No, I did quickly uninstall and reinstall it yesterday.

I would like some positive confirmation that this will work, before I go to the trouble of deleting it, and missing even more voice mails than I do now.

Hello again,

Have you considered trying to test it yourself? Uninstalling the app and then trying to leave yourself a voicemail? That would provide the most convincing evidence of whether it would work or not.

Cheers

MJBRANDYS

I gave it try, No texts were send (granted I only waited about 30 minutes)

@MJBRANDYS wrote:

I gave it try, No texts were send (granted I only waited about 30 minutes)

Hello again,

Hmm, I don't remember whether any provisioning or voicemail reset was required to get mine to work. Perhaps the moderators can look into that for you.

One other thing that did come to mind... have you verified your phone has the voicemail service provider set as My Carrier? Settings --> Applications --> Call --> Voicemail --> Service Provider.

Additionally, you might consider verifying your phone has the correct voicemail retrieval number: +1-416-821-6549 (see here). I'm not sure whether the app would have altered those settings.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

MJBRANDYS

I do not think any of these thing are set incorrectly. The proof of this is the App does work, just not reliably.

If any of these things were wrong, it would not work at all.

Manually connecting to Voice mail (long press 1 on the dial pad) and entering my PIN also works, proving voice mail is correctly configured on the phone.

Hello again,

Fair enough. However, the app working does not necessarily prove the settings are correct. My point was that perhaps the service provider was set as the app rather than My carrier. That way the phone would know to let the app manage voicemail rather than the phone itself. Otherwise, the phone would provide duplicate notifications -- one from the app and the other from the phone. Maybe the app does not come up as an option for the service provider. It was just a thought.

Cheers

MJBRANDYS

The App does not seem to have any configuration options. It is a "FIDO" Branded app, so I am guessing all the required settings are hard-coded within the app.