Visual VoiceMail Plus Delayed Delivery

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Visual VoiceMail Plus Delayed Delivery

I have been trying to resolve a problem with Visual Voice Mail on my Samsung S7, where voice notifications (and transcripts) would not arrive for several hours.

I started to notice a pattern where all of my voice mails would arrive within a few minutes of leaving my home office (which is not all the convenient when you are driving).

As near, as I can tell the (poorly designed) VVM Plus app does not response when my S7 is connected to my home WIFI. I only get notifications if I am connected to the LTE network.

I am hoping the others can verify that this pattern and hopefully encourage FIDO to fix this APP.

(calling FIDO about this problem has proven to be very frustrating and has not resulted in any action)

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 27
Highlighted

Re: Visual VoiceMail Plus Delayed Delivery

Thank you for the update @MJBRANDYS,

Did you get a chance to see our most recent reply in PM?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 27
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@MJBRANDYS wrote:

I gave it try, No texts were send (granted I only waited about 30 minutes)

Hello again,

Hmm, I don't remember whether any provisioning or voicemail reset was required to get mine to work. Perhaps the moderators can look into that for you.

One other thing that did come to mind... have you verified your phone has the voicemail service provider set as My Carrier? Settings --> Applications --> Call --> Voicemail --> Service Provider.

Additionally, you might consider verifying your phone has the correct voicemail retrieval number: +1-416-821-6549 (see here). I'm not sure whether the app would have altered those settings.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 27
Highlighted

I do not think any of these thing are set incorrectly. The proof of this is the App does work, just not reliably.

If any of these things were wrong, it would not work at all.

Manually connecting to Voice mail (long press 1 on the dial pad) and entering my PIN also works, proving voice mail is correctly configured on the phone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 27
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello again,

Fair enough. However, the app working does not necessarily prove the settings are correct. My point was that perhaps the service provider was set as the app rather than My carrier. That way the phone would know to let the app manage voicemail rather than the phone itself. Otherwise, the phone would provide duplicate notifications -- one from the app and the other from the phone. Maybe the app does not come up as an option for the service provider. It was just a thought.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 27
Highlighted

The App does not seem to have any configuration options. It is a "FIDO" Branded app, so I am guessing all the required settings are hard-coded within the app.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 27
Highlighted

This will hopefully be my final post on this Topic,

I am summarzing what I have learned in hopes that if anyone has the same problem, they do not have to spend the same amount of tiome and effort to get it resolved.

1. The Visual Voice Mail Plus App is no longer supported by FIDO on Android devices. If you have this app you will likely want to upgrade to premium voice to text  service.

2. In my case I did not want to pay a premium for the "new" Service. The people in Customer Support tried hard to up-sell me on a new plan but in the end I was told that the "premium voice to text" was included on my current plan, and it just need to be enabled. Unfortunately, it took 3 days and sending a message via FIDO complaint page (https://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/Share_a_concern)  to get someone to call me back to confirm this.  (I guess I will not know for sure, until I see my next bill)

3. It still took another hour and with the Customer Support to finally get the Premium voice to text messages to be delivered to my phone. The trick here is to avoid all the pointless trouble shooting, and long times on hold and get your problem escalated to second level support as quickly as possible. (this is not a easy task with FIDO).

4. I have had some discussions with FIDO that would indicate that the Visual Voice Mail Plus App was never designed to work on WIFI, and that the only way to receive notifications is to be connected to FIDOs Data network. I must admit that it is strange that I did not notice this limitation before, nor was this limitation every published or communicated via Customer Service. My own usage has changed recently as I now work in a Home Office and do not venture outside of my WIFI coverage as often.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 27
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3
I'm a Participant Level 3

I am having the same issues

Online chat was useless.  They asked me if I had turned my phone off *sigh*.

If they know this service isn't offered obviously because it's faulty why don't they automatically switch us over to the new service.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 27 of 27