Very weak network signal

Very weak network signal

Very weak network signal

Alex155
I'm a Participant Level 2

Very weak network signal

I have 2 different phones with 2 different numbers from Fido, I got both phones at Fido, but every time i receive a call in one of them the signal is very weak to the point where the conversation it is not understandable and need to hang up and call again, it needs to hang up and call again twice or three times, until the conversation is understandable again, other times this number appears as if was not on the network or the number was busy, since it sends you straight to voicemail, this is an ongoing thing with this number, it keeps on dropping signal always, it's been happening for more than a year now, it is a Nexus 5, the other issue is with my other number is a similar issue but whenever I turn data it doesn't load anything, my LTE signal is always to the lowest, I never get full signal bars even in downtown Toronto, it always happens until I restart the phone. It is very annoying since I'm paying for a service that is never reliable it's been happening for the last year or so, and I don't understand how all of that is possible on both phones when I live in a big city where signal should be a problem.

3 REPLIES 3
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Alex155,

Welcome to the community!

Are you having poor reception everywhere? Outdoors as well as indoors? You noted you've been having problems for over a year. Was it working properly before that?

Since you got both your phones from Fido, I would expect them to have the proper bands/frequencies. However, you can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

Have you tried to use a different SIM in either of your phones? Have you tried your SIMs in different phones? Do you know of others who are also having similar troubles in your area? Where in downtown Toronto are you situated generally? 

Living in a big city can be both a blessing and problematic with regards cellular service. Yes, there are usually more cellular towers covering the area, however, there are also more obstacles (ie buildings etc) that cause interference. If you only started having problems recently (within the last year), it's possible that a new building has been built between your location and your closest cellular tower(s). You can get an idea of where the cellular towers (and their bands/frequencies) are situated in your area here.

Have you tried to turn off LTE? Some phones have had issues switching networks. The bands/frequencies of the '3G' network would have better penetrative ability than those of LTE (except 700 MHz). The '3G' network may allow you to use data. In addition, calls may be more consistent if the phone doesn't have to switch networks to make/receive calls.

Hope some of this helps Smiley

Cheers

Alex155
I'm a Participant Level 2

Indoor as well as outdoors, it's mostly outdoors that I do notice that since indoors I use wifi most of the time, on one of the phones I have changed the SIM card to test it into another phone and couldn't see the problem but I do not understand how it only affects calls, on the other one, even if I use 3G alone it doesn't help, I have to end up restarting the phone so I get reception, the weird part is that this never used to happen, for the first 2 years I never had any issues, and now for the past year I have noticed those problems

Hey @Alex155

Thank you for reaching out with this, I am going to send you a PM so we can take a closer look at this together. Smiley