Very weak network signal

Very weak network signal

Very weak network signal

SOLVED
ZGR
I'm a Participant Level 2

Very weak network signal

I just moved to a new community - Richardson Ridge in Kanata and I barely can make good calls.

The calls are on and off all the time.  I checked the signal strength on my iphone 4s and it is -100 all the time, sometimes even below -110.  It could be the new community and the RF optimization has not been done.  More and more people are moving in now, so it should be addressed asap.  Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Re: Very weak network signal

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello ZGR,

Welcome to the community!

There do not appear to be very many cellular towers in the area.

Richardson Ridge.jpg

Screen capture taken from here. I cannot vouch for accuracy.

Since it is new community, RF optimisation may improve the situation. However, addressing the weak signal may require additional cellular towers. If there are no existing suitable structures or infrastructure to place the equipment, a standalone tower may need to be built. If that is the case, the community will need to be notified (see here). The whole process could take a little while. To start the ball rolling, you might consider consulting your local municipality to inform them of the need for a new tower in the area.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
9 REPLIES 9
Roy8
I'm a Participant Level 1

The same  even worse situation here, M2R 2G2

Hey @Roy8

We didn't get any alert from our support team for this location.

Did you try to reboot your device?

Also, to remove and put back in your sim card?

This might help. Let me know.

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello ZGR,

Welcome to the community!

There do not appear to be very many cellular towers in the area.

Richardson Ridge.jpg

Screen capture taken from here. I cannot vouch for accuracy.

Since it is new community, RF optimisation may improve the situation. However, addressing the weak signal may require additional cellular towers. If there are no existing suitable structures or infrastructure to place the equipment, a standalone tower may need to be built. If that is the case, the community will need to be notified (see here). The whole process could take a little while. To start the ball rolling, you might consider consulting your local municipality to inform them of the need for a new tower in the area.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

ZGR

I totally agree with you.  The red dot is where my house is and I think the signal from eastern towers are blocked by the slope.  If there is a tower at the area of the red circle, the signal will improve on the other side of the slope.  Can you please let me know how to contact the local municipility?  Thank you very much.Capture.JPG

Hello again,

This should be your local municipality:

Kanata Municipal office.jpg

You should note that the normal process would involve the mobile company submitting a proposal to the municipality. I suggested for you to contact them in order to start a communication within your community to establish the need for potential additional towers. A mobile company is unlikely to submit a proposal plan if there are relatively few customers in the area.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

@ZGR

I'll send you a PM to gather some info and contact our network team if need be. Smiley

Hi @ZGR

Just to let you know, fido.ca has also this Network status tool that you can check :

http://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/network-checker

Good luck with this Smiley

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Welcome to the commnuty @ZGR! Smiley

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the signal. Would you know if people in the same area have the same issues as you? If not, would you have another phone you can test out to see if it's the same issues or not? Thanks!

ZGR

Thanks Terry for your quick response.

We have 3 different phones all using Fido network and they all have bad reception.

I think it is definitely the network problem.