Very poor choice of phones on standart plan

SOLVED
VicThor
I'm a Participant Level 1

First of all helo to the roamers of this site.

So I'm at the end of my 2 year contract and was anticipating the upgrade from my Sony Xperia SP. Since I'm a Sony guy (love the brand, all my stuff at home is Sony, it just never breaks) I was expecting to upgrade to Xperia M5 which was realeased in 2015 and is the equivalent of what the SP was in 2014 at the time I took the contract. Now I noticed Fido simply took down even the old M4 and Sony is no longer in the choices.

So I'm pretty much disapointed. I looked around on what Samsung offers and from the standart choices that parts are pretty cheap and the reviews are mediocre. They all seem very outdated and the specs are on the low end. At this point I'm better of keeping the Xperia SP which should I add has incredible long battery life. I charge my phone once a week while I got friends that charge their 1 year old ones every 5-6 hours. My coworkers always bring their charging cordes with them.

So right now the best choice that I have (by what I've seen) is the LG3 (I can use fido dollars to pay up the 100$ difference on standart) and I feel that by this choice I'm getting scammed. My Xperia SP is only 1 year older... by logic the upgrade should mean that the phone should at least be 2 years newer then my old phone if I renew the contract for 2 year.

I pay 28.05$ for 200min a week evenings and weekends unlimited and unlimited messaging with some useless features like long distance calls which I never use. Don't need internet since I've got wifi at home and at work and I've been with Fido for 8 years.

So any ideas on what's the best course of action? I don't intend to pay up for the expensive stuff, my wife will bleed me out when she'll join me sicne she's into them overpriced Iphones, for her no problem, but for myself I don't intend to buy the newest product but I don't really feel happy with "upgrading" to a phone from 2013-2014 and the cheap ones I've seen from 2015 were very funny spec wise.

Fido has some of the best costumer service and maybe it's beacause I'm in/next to Montreal but never had any problems with the network. Hardware wise I'm disapointed though, I know I'm cheap contract wise but common.

Accepted Solution

Re: Very poor choice of phones on standart plan

Solved by Moderator

Hey @VicThor

Welcome to the community! Smiley 

Thank you for taking the time to share your post with us today­. We are continously working to come out with new and interesting products for our customers. You can keep an eye out on our device lists or Promos page for any new releases. 

Does anyone in the @community have another phone to recommend for VicThor? 

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
FidoPierre

Hey @VicThor

Welcome to the community! Smiley 

Thank you for taking the time to share your post with us today­. We are continously working to come out with new and interesting products for our customers. You can keep an eye out on our device lists or Promos page for any new releases. 

Does anyone in the @community have another phone to recommend for VicThor? 

He can get a Motorola Moto E.

VicThorOmg
I'm a Participant Level 3

Thanks but unfortunately this is exactly what I meant when saying the choices are outdated:
Xperia SP (april 2013 release date):

CPUDual-core 1.7 GHz Krait
GPU

Adreno 320

Internal8 GB (5.8 GB user available), 1 GB RAM

Motorola Moto E (May 2014 realease date):

CPUDual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7
GPUAdreno 302
Internal4 GB, 1 GB RAM

Yeah the OS is more recent but everything else is really plain. Maybe my point of view is bad.
(btw it's still me Vick-Thor, the fido site doesn't seem to link the forum account with my Fido account)

johnv69

Hey @VicThorOmg, does the FM Radio work on your old Sony SP?

And you could look at a Samsung A5.  Not sure if Fido has the new one or the 2yr old one, but the new one isn't rated as good:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-A5-2016,Samsung-Galaxy-A5,Sony-Xperia-SP/pho...

Or the LG G4 if you want to spend more $$.

How much did you pay for your Sony SP? 

I have 100+ Fido bucks, and still am looking for something worthwhile at Fido.  Would have got a Moto G, but they discontinued it last year just before I would have got it and then replaced it with the **bleep** Moto E.

VicThorOmg

Yeah the FM radio works on my old Sony SP (first time that I tried it lol, uses the head phones as an antenna, so you can't just listen using the speakers but no wifi or internet needed). I got the xperia SP for free 2 years ago when I renewed the contract you could probably get one for under 100$ on kijiji or ebay. Funny enough it didn't drop as much in price as I thought it would... that's the Sony brand for you.

Ended getting the LG G3 for a certain someone one of the gents here mentioned mostly based on the 3 gig ram and OS. It's a pretty big phone and the battery takes up decent space and is also replaceable. Thought about cashing out some extra for the G4 but since it is also pretty outdated now was not worth it.

Hi @VicThorOmg

Thanks for sharing your post,, How many Fido dollars do you
have? Are we willing to possibly open a second line and receive 10% off a
new price plan plus use Fido Dollars and refer someone to Fido for 50 dollars after 3 months? Trading in your phone? Using Fido Trade we give you cash off your new phone purchase in certain stores? You talked about your wife getting an iPhone? Shouldn't you treat yourself to a new phone like the lg G3 for 0 on a smart ? You deserve it! And finally if all those options don't really get you.. You can buy a unlocked phone and bring it to Fido.. We are cool like that Wink