Very Poor reception in Port Alberni

zhenya
I'm a Participant Level 1

I am living in the city of Port Alberni, am using a Lenovo A936 Note 6 and am continually either in the "no service" mode or the FidoEXT mode at home and many areas of the city.  Do I blame the phone or am I right in thinking there is poor service in my area?  Is there a solution??

Would appreciate any answers.

1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@zhenya wrote:

I am living in the city of Port Alberni, am using a Lenovo A936 Note 6 and am continually either in the "no service" mode or the FidoEXT mode at home and many areas of the city.  Do I blame the phone or am I right in thinking there is poor service in my area?  Is there a solution??

Would appreciate any answers.

Hello Zhenya,

Welcome to the forums!

I think both of those issues might be playing a part in your poor reception.

Firstly, is this phone the one you're using? I can only find the A936 referred to as Note 8 and not  Note 6. If that is the phone you're referring to, then according to the specifications on that site, the phone would only have one compatible 2G band/frequency, band 2 (1900MHz). If the version you have is WCDMA, then it would also only have one band/frequency for '3G', band 2 (1900MHz). On the other hand, if the version you have is the TD-SCDMA, then there would be no compatible '3G' bands/frequencies. **edit** I would guess that the version you have is the WCDMA since you're likely connecting to the Telus tower as Fido-EXT and they do not have a 2G network anymore.

Unfortunately, with regards to LTE, that phone would not have any of the compatible bands/frequencies.

**edit** You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

To add to that, Rogers only appears to have towers on the outskirts of the city proper.

Port Alberni.jpg

Taken from here. I cannot vouch for accuracy.

**edit**  A solution would really depend on whether the phone I found is actually the one you have. If it is your phone, then your best option would be to get a different phone. I'm not trying to be facetious or anything. Even if you switched to Telus, that phone would still only have the one compatible '3G' band/frequency and no compatible LTE bands/frequencies. You would be in the same situation you are in currently except instead of Fido-EXT it would say Telus.

Another potential solution would be to get a signal booster.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers