VVMP MMS Edition Bug

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

VVMP MMS Edition Bug

Hello Everyone,

I subscribe to the Visual Voicemail Plus feature, the MMS version. I recently had it enabled and am experiencing a qwirky but very annoying bug. I called Fido but the CSR's that I spoke to were unable to help me. Here is what happens. Lets say I get a voicemail message from phone number 416-555-1234 and they leave a message saying "Test 1234". Within about a minute I will receive the following MMS message:

"<Subject: New Wireless voicemail message>

(a "play" icon that will play the message)

"Test 1 2 3 4."

To listen to your Wireless voicemail message click on the attachment."

This is the whole message. Works perfectly, exactly how I would expect. I can read the text transcription of the message or touch the "play" icon within the MMS message to hear it. Now, exactly two hours later (right down to the exact minute) I will receive a second message but this will be an SMS and not a MMS message. It will contain:

"4165551234

Mon, 17 Sep 2012, 19:55:58

"Test 1 2 3 4."

Please call into your voicemail mailbox to listen to your message."

This second SMS message, that always arrives exactly two hours later, will always contain the same information as the first message. Why am I getting it? How do i stop it? It is quite annoying when you get a lot of voicemails like I do because it can be confusing and clutters my text messaging. I have tried using my standard phone (a factory unlocked Galaxy S2 GT-I9100) and using my Fido branded phone (I dont know the exact model but it is a very basic Motarolla dumbphone I picked up for about $50 as a backup phone). Since the same problem occurs on both a Fido and non-Fido phone I am reasonably sure it is not related to my phone(s). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,

David

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 41
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Re: VVMP MMS Edition Bug

Any updates on this issue? Is there a master ticket for the problem? I still have symptoms described by the original poster.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 41
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for letting me know. I am trying to get an update on this. Will post when I receive one.

Sorry this is taking so long.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 41
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@FidoStephen: Thank you for the progress update.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 41
Highlighted

I kind of gave up checking this thread since I created it thinking it had been buried. I guess I am not the only one experiencing this issue as I originally thought. It is quite annoying so I am hoping it can be resolved.

David

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 41
Highlighted

Hey everyone,

So here’s the latest update from my end. In summary, Fido has no resolution, they don’t know what’s going on, nor were they aware of the issue.

I have called in to Fido several times. 

The first time, they did a reset of my voicemail, meaning they removed it from my account and added it back again. I was told to see if the problem recurred and to call back if it did. This did not fix the issue.

The second time, I waited 40 minutes for customer service to respond. They once again did a reset on my voicemail and did a reset on my account. Meaning, they removed voicemail from my account, added it back on and then refreshed my account on the network. I was told to see if the problem recurred and to call back if it did. I kept the agent on the line and tested right away. The issue was not fixed. The agent transferred me to technical support and simultaneously dropped the call.

Third time calling, a few minutes after the last call was dropped. Half an hour wait to get to customer service. He saw the notes on my account and transferred me to technical support. Another half hour wait for technical support. 

He gets on the line, and suggests, “The issue might be resolved as during last call the agent did a resend to switch. Since you haven’t received an SMS it should be fine.” 

I say, “I haven’t received an SMS because it hasn’t been 2 hours since the test voicemail message.“

He also said, “ With the new Visual Voicemail Plus for Smartphones you are only supposed to receive an MMS and no SMS.”

At this point I get upset and point him towards the postings on the Fido Forums showing that many of us are having this issue and that I have just spent over an hour and a half waiting on the phone (including time from before the call was dropped) to resolve this issue and I know that in an hour I’m going to get the SMS again. He lets me know that he’ll have to consult with NTOC and that there is a wait of at least 30 minutes to get through to that department. I say I’ll wait. Thirty minutes later he comes back on the line and says NTOC needs the time stamps from an MMS and an SMS for the same voicemail message. Unfortunately, I don’t have these as I have deleted all messages from my phone. All I have is the MMS I received from the test message after the resend to switch was done an hour and a half ago. It hasn’t been 2 hours yet, so I have no SMS yet. He lets me know there is nothing they can do. I request a manager and am told that one will get back to me in 24 to 48 business hours as it is now 5:15pm and they do not service my province past 5pm on a Saturday! Ten minutes after I get off the phone, I receive the SMS from the test voicemail message.

Seventy-two hours later I get a call from a technical supervisor (I'm genuinely surprised someone called back, and this is the fourth time speaking to Fido about all this). I now have several MMS and SMS time stamps available. The supervisor contacts NTOC. I then have half an hour of waiting for NTOC. I then give them the time stamps from an MMS and an SMS of the same voicemail message. They let me know that they have to escalate the issue further up and will have to open a case. They give me a case number and say they will contact me when they have something. They also link to the Fido Forums page on Fido’s website with the postings about this issue.

I’m disappointed that that no one there knows what’s going on. Why do they need the time stamps if they did nothing with that information? Can’t they see on their systems when messages generated by their voicemail system are sent to me? If Visual Voicemail Plus is having so many issues then why not just give me regular Voicemail? Why do I have to go through 4 different departments? The last two of which I’m not even allowed to talk to but have to wait on the phone for tech support to get to. 

At this point I don’t believe anything will get done. If anyone hears of a solution please post. Otherwise, good luck.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 41
Highlighted

I went through most of what you described, MrMobile, back in September when I added VVMP to my plan. Adding, removing over and over. My bill ended up with extra pages for the +$11.00 and -$11.00 credits and charges for the value pack. I am beginning to get the feeling Fido does not know how to fix this. I am glad I am not on a contract anymore so I can start to look at other providers.

FidoStephen, have you been able to find anyone who is or is going to look into this?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 41
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Any updates on this? Still having issues...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 41
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey everyone!

I have discussed this with FisoStephen who has told me that this issue has been resolved.

It is possible that a few people are still experiencing this, but these are isolated cases and you would have to call in to technical support in order to investigate further.

You can reach us at 1-888-481-3436 from a phone other than your Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 41
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

FidoJudhy: How can you say this is fixed? It's just a different symptom now.

Old Symptom:

1.) Text message in (with a voicemail attachment)

2.) Second text message without a voicemail attachment

New symptom:

1.) Text message (with a voicemail attachment)

2.) Text message again in a few hours (with a voicemail attachment)

All of you that raised issue to this: Has it been fixed for you or have you pretty much given up on Fido? Or are you just putting up with it?

Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 41
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Still getting duplicate messages...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 41