VVM setup problems on Samsung S5 neo

Jeffr
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I just got a new phone, Samsung s5 neo, and I have been unable to get the Fido VVM plus app to function. I have called Fido support multiple times and recieved the following answers;

-It was set up wrong, it should work now

-VVM isn't supported on the S5, you need to use a different VVM app

-I shouldn't need a different VVM app the fido one should work fine

- Reset everything, re setup voice mail and it should work

So far nothing has worked and I can't get a consistant answer on if this app will even work on my phone. Can someone tell me if VVM is supported on the S5 and if so, how do I get it to work?

16 REPLIES 16
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Jeffr,

Welcome to the community!

Just to clarify, visual voicemail (VVM) is supported on android and is the voicemail-to-text system. However, Fido no longer supports the visual voicemail plus app (VVM+) for android.

You can find more information regarding voice-messaging here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@Jeffr just open your phone dialer, press and hold 1 and it will dial your VM and you should be able to set it up there.

Jeffr

That allows me to se up my voicemail, but it don't do anything to set up the VVM. I have repeated the set up process twice at the request of the fido help desk to no avail.

@Jeffr Sorry I missed the fact that you are try to get the Visual Voicemail working, as far as I know Fido does not support VVM on Android phones anymore. However you can get the Premium Voicemail-To-Text.

etrain
I'm a Participant Level 2

i've been trying for 24 hours to get vm to text working on android and no luck

Jeffr

Just got it working. It took 9 calls to Fido support before I came across someone that could help. Have them reset your voice mail, add the correct code for the andriod app (not the iphone app), delete VVM plus app off your phone. Restart the phone. Download the app from the app store. Log into your voicemail (press and hold 1 on the phone), and set up you voicemail with password, outgoing message etc.

That was the magic combination that worked for me. I am amazed how much conflicting information i recieved from the Fido support desk. Several of the people I spoke to didn't understand the difference between VVM and regular voicemail. Definitely more training needed.

Hello again,

Glad you were able to get it to work. However, how well it will continue to work has yet to be seen. As noted previously, Fido does not support the visual voicemail plus app for android (or Blackberry) anymore.

There's a reason the app is no longer offered on Fido's app page here. There's a reason the app is no longer searchable on Google Play. There's a reason why -- if you do happen to find the app on Google Play -- that it clearly states: *No longer offered by Fido*.

However, that does not preclude people from trying to continue to use the app fully aware of its limitations.

**edit** Case and point.

Jeffr wrote:

Correction - apperently it worked for 1 voice mail and is now non functional again...

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Jeffr

If the VVM is no longer supported then someone should be telling the Fifo staff on the help desk so they don't waste my time by telling me they can set it up and make it function when they can't.

And it is availble on Google Play, in fact you only need to search VVM and the fido app comes up with no mention that it is non-functioning. And if it is non-functioning why does Fido not remove it from Google Play so people don't have to go through this whole process? In addition, the link to the app was texted to me from the Fido support desk, so the people who are supposed to be helping resolve this are actually the ones sending me the non-functioning software.

If they stopped providing Andriod users with the app, and took it off Google Play it would eliminate "people from trying to continue to use the app". You need to get your facts straight.

Hello again,

I agree. The information should be consistent.

I think part of the issue is terminology. Visual voicemail (VVM) is supported and is the voicemail to MMS system. It's listed as one of my services, though I receive the MMS. You read the texts so it's still technically visual. However, it is the visual voicemail plus app (VVM+) that is no longer supported for android or blackberry. To further muddy the situation, the visual voicemail app for iOS is still available.

@Jeffr wrote:

And it is availble on Google Play, in fact you only need to search VVM and the fido app comes up with no mention that it is non-functioning. And if it is non-functioning why does Fido not remove it from Google Play so people don't have to go through this whole process?....

That's strange, because I just tried to search for it again (using computer) and could not find it using any combination of search terms. Regardless as noted earlier, if you do happen to find the app on Google Play, it clearly states: *No longer offered by Fido*.

I think they tried to have it removed from Google Play -- hence the No longer offered by Fido. I'm not sure why you're still able to find it there. If there is a discrepancy between Google Play app and the computer-based store, that's on Google. Even if they did manage to completely remove it from Google Play, it would not eliminate those from trying to continue to use the app. There are many people who download apk's from 3rd party app sites. The information posted isn't strictly directed at yourself, it's intended for anyone still wanting to use the app.

Cheers

Jeffr

New twists. 2 days ago call display stopped working. 3 more phone calls got that fixed. HOWEVER, immediatly after voicemail to text stopped working. 2 phone calls so far to address this one.Currently on hold.

Current help desk tec is telling me the issue is that my old phone plan which was carried over to my phone is the root of all the problems as it is somehow not compatible. All I need to do is sign up for a more expensive plan with less features and my problems will be solved. So I signed a contract, which I am appaerently obligated to fufill even though Fido has not been able to deliver the services they agreed to provide. BUT if I pay juuusst a little more they can make it work. So, considering that I am out of options and patience that is apperently what I will have to do.I believe they call this a bait and switch.

Hopefully this weill be the final fix.

Jeffr

Nope, didn't work. But at least I am paying $13 bucks more a month now, so.......

Hey @Jeffr

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing issues with these services! Are you still on the line with one of our agents? Let me know if you're still having problems after speaking with them and I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look into this together. 

Jeffr

Yep, on hold again with another agent. My call is being escalated, whatever that means. If that doesn't work I will send you a PM.

Sounds good @Jeffr,

Keep us posted on the outcome of the call and if you still need help I'll reach out to you right from here by PM! Smiley 

FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Thanks for the feedback @Jeffr!

I'll make sure to forward the information! The visual voicemail for android is not supported anymore, you can still use the MMS-Voicemail also known as the Voice-to-text voicemail. 

Jeffr

Correction - apperently it worked for 1 voice mail and is now non functional again. Loving my Fido experience.