Using my fido sim card on a verizon 4G lte samsung galaxy s6

SOLVED
eugenedr
I'm a Participant Level 3

i bought a samsung galaxy s6 from someone and its a verizon phone 

when i put my fido sim card in it, it doesn't find any service and it keeps displaying an error message '' SIM CARD IS NOT FROM VERIZON WIRELESS''. please i really need help  solving the problem . i can't make calls or text at all and the phone is unlocked. i have asked few people and the have no solution to the problem, i'm hoping i will find the answer here thanks. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Using my fido sim card on a verizon 4G lte samsung galaxy s6

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@eugenedr wrote:

when i put my fido sim card in it, it doesn't find any service and it keeps displaying an error message '' SIM CARD IS NOT FROM VERIZON WIRELESS''. please i really need help  solving the problem . i can't make calls or text at all and the phone is unlocked. i have asked few people and the have no solution to the problem, i'm hoping i will find the answer here thanks. 

***Edited to add labels***

Hello Eugenedr,

Welcome to the forums!

Firstly, I'll assume you have the SM-G920V version of the phone. According to the specifications from GSMArena, that version should have all of the compatible bands for 2G and '3G'. That phone would also have 2 of the three compatible bands/frequencies for LTE (bands 4 and 7, 1700/2100 and 2600MHz). So the phone should be able to work on the Fido/Rogers network.

At first I thought the phone might be locked to Verizon. However, after doing some research it does seem like all 4G/LTE Verizon phones are unlocked out of the box. 

With regards to the 'SIM CARD IS NOT FROM VERIZON WIRELESS' notification, apparently the phone should still work with non-Verizon SIMs. There may be a way to permanently remove the notification if you root the phone, but to temporarily remove it you can try:

Go to settings >> applications >> application manager >> all
Then find an application called "activation agent".
Click on it, then click force stop.

This video shows a different method of temporarily removing the notification.

I believe the notification will reappear after a reboot. 

Now with regards to the functioning of the phone, check to make sure you have the proper APN. It should be LTEMOBILE.APN. You can verify the setting here. For additional assistance you can try here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
11 REPLIES 11
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@eugenedr wrote:

***Edited to add labels***

Hello Eugenedr,

Welcome to the forums!

Firstly, I'll assume you have the SM-G920V version of the phone. According to the specifications from GSMArena, that version should have all of the compatible bands for 2G and '3G'. That phone would also have 2 of the three compatible bands/frequencies for LTE (bands 4 and 7, 1700/2100 and 2600MHz). So the phone should be able to work on the Fido/Rogers network.

At first I thought the phone might be locked to Verizon. However, after doing some research it does seem like all 4G/LTE Verizon phones are unlocked out of the box. 

With regards to the 'SIM CARD IS NOT FROM VERIZON WIRELESS' notification, apparently the phone should still work with non-Verizon SIMs. There may be a way to permanently remove the notification if you root the phone, but to temporarily remove it you can try:

Go to settings >> applications >> application manager >> all
Then find an application called "activation agent".
Click on it, then click force stop.

This video shows a different method of temporarily removing the notification.

I believe the notification will reappear after a reboot. 

Now with regards to the functioning of the phone, check to make sure you have the proper APN. It should be LTEMOBILE.APN. You can verify the setting here. For additional assistance you can try here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

kcart1
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi,

I have a similar problem.  I was able to gain access to the 4G network by changing the APN settings to those found here: https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/configure-unlocked-device-guide

These are the same ones recommended by yourself, as well as the settings that the Fido help agent gave me over the phone.  

However, I am unable to access any MMS whatsoever.  I turned on Roaming; no luck.  The Fido agent was unable to help me with this.

The phone model is Verizon SM-6920V.  I'm unable to find the specs onine to see if it is compatible.  Fido online support says the frequencies that the Fido/Rogers wireless network supports are: 

• Your device must be compatible with the Fido network, which uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. To access LTE network, the phone must be compatible with:
    • 700 MHz on Band 17;
    • 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4;
    • 2600 MHz on Band 7.

How to find this information? Refer to the manufacturer's official website.  I did this.  I downloaded the user manual, which can be viewed at http://www.galaxys6manuals.net/wp-content/uploads/pdf/Galaxy_S6_manual_American_English_Verizon_SM-G... , but can't find any reference to frequencies this model is compatible with.  

Could you help me please to access MMS, or to determine that MMS is incompatible with this particular model?

Thank you.

Hello Kcart1,

Welcome to the community!

@kcart1 wrote:

The phone model is Verizon SM-6920V.  I'm unable to find the specs onine to see if it is compatible...

Assuming the phone version is actually SM-G920V, it should have the same specifications as the original post.

Are you able to use the phone to make/receive calls or send/receive texts with the phone? Verizon phones have been notorious for being rather difficult to get to work properly (see above, here and here). Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether solutions were ever found so most of this is speculation.

When you got the phone, had it been activated on the Verizon network? It is still a CDMA-based phone and may need activation on their network before allowing use on other networks.

Have you verified that your preferred network is set to GSM/UMTS(WCDMA)/LTE? You need to make sure it is not set to CDMA.

To clarify, since the phone is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn. Did you include the MMS settings in that APN?

You noted you are unable to send/receive MMS. You also noted you turned on roaming. Just to verify, had you enabled data?

Have you verified the correct the phone has the correct SMS messaging centre number? It should be: +1 514 993-1123

You noted you were able to access 4G. Are you able to use data? That is, browse the internet, check  email, etc...

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

kcart1

Hi Cawtau,

Thank you for your reply.  Yes the phone is a SM-G920V.

To respond to your questions:

- Overall, the phone does work on the Fido LTE network.  The icon on the status bar up to says 4G.  Data has been enabled.  I am able to send and receive data (browse the Internet, check email, etc). I am able to make and receive phone calls. I am also able to send and receive SMS messages.

- The only problem is with sending or receiving MMS messages (no photos or videos, nor can I receive my visual voicemails). In all cases, MMS messages fail to send and to download, both when connected to only the LTE network (no wifi) and to LTE and wifi.

With respect to settings, etc.:

- I included the MMS settings in the APN:  MMSC http://mms.fido.ca, proxy 205.151.11.13, mms port 80.

- My preferred network is set to LTE / GSM / UMTS. It is set to automatic.

- I don’t know how/where to verify that the phone has the correct SMS messaging centre number.  However, the phone does receive SMS text messages, so I would tend to think it does.  Again, it is only MMS that is the problem.

- I presume the phone was already activated on the Verizon network, because it came with an APN called “LTE - Verizon Internet” programmed into the phone (currently appears in grey, and I am unable to delete it nor to select it).  Also, there is a notification that comes up when I restart the phone that my SIM card is not from Verizon wireless.  In addition, there are some apparently private email addresses that autocomplete when I type, suggesting that the phone was previously used by a customer. 

Thanks for any further help you can provide for accessing multimedia messages.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. It's great to hear that a Verizon phone (at least one that had been activated) will work on the Fido networks!

With regards to your APN settings, have you verified the APN type? It's not usually a setting that needs to be specified, however, some phones can be very specific in its requirements (see here). It should contain either Internet + MMS or default or default,mms...

Were you connected to Wifi at the time you tried to send/receive MMS? I understand your mobile data was enabled. However, I have been finding recently that even if my data had been enabled, MMS would not download if I was connected to Wifi. I could see the download/upload arrows for data, but the download always fails. I would have to disconnect from Wifi before it will download properly.

You should be able to temporarily remove the SIM card is not from Verizon notification using the steps outlined above or in the links above.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

kcart1

Sorry, model is SM-G920V.  Thanks.

eugenedr

No change at all still doesnt work and cannot detect services at all  

@eugenedr wrote:

No change at all still doesnt work and cannot detect services at all  

Hello again,

Have you tried to turn roaming on? Verizon uses CDMA-based cellular technology for it's main network. When the phone is used with Verizon, it transmits voice and SMS via CDMA and the SIM-slot is reserved for LTE. It's possible that turning roaming on may open the SIM-slot to allow for GSM, WCDMA, and LTE. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoSamantha
Former Moderator

Good morning eugenedr! 

Are you sure the phone is unlocked? From what you're saying, it doesn't sound like that's the case since your phone is prompting you to put in a SIM card for Verizon. Have you tried getting in touch with them to confirm? 

eugenedr

yes  they said its unlocked and it should work with fido 

Hi Eugendr, 

Have you tried a different SIM card in it?