Using an unlock phone

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2 Rahimi
I'm a Participant Level 2

Using an unlock phone

Hi

i am going to buy a chinese smart phone and woundering if it works with Fido or not. The 2G and 3G frequencies are:

1st phone:

2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

3G: WCDMA 850/2100 MHz

2nd phone:

3G: WCDMA 850/1900/2100 MHz

I am sure that both of them work with the Fido 2G network, but not sure about the 3G. Which one can work on the Fido 3G Network? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Using an unlock phone

@Rahimi wrote:

Hi

i am going to buy a chinese smart phone and woundering if it works with Fido or not. The 2G and 3G frequencies are:

1st phone:

2nd phone:

I am sure that both of them work with the Fido 2G network, but not sure about the 3G. Which one can work on the Fido 3G Network?

Hello,

From what I understand, both phones could possibly work because they have at least one of the frequencies for the 3G network. However, the second phone would be the better option because it has both of the 3G frequencies (850 and 1900 MHz) Fido/Rogers uses rather than just the one frequency in the first phone (850 MHz). That said, I'm not sure whether AWS compatibility is required for the 3G network as it seems to be for the LTE network.

I know this answer doesn't really help in determining which phone will definitely work on the network. Both phones might work. The second phone would have the better coverage and download speeds because of the two frequencies if it does work.

I hope someone else can provide a more definitive answer for you.

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 6
I'm a Participant Level 2 Rahimi
I'm a Participant Level 2

I forgot to mention that for both of them it is mentioned that the ata can be transfer through GPRS, EDGE, HSPA, and HSPA+

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 6
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

If it says WCDMA it will not work on Fido network.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 6
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1
MVP
MVP
Solution

@Rahimi wrote:

Hi

1st phone:

2nd phone:

Hello,

From what I understand, both phones could possibly work because they have at least one of the frequencies for the 3G network. However, the second phone would be the better option because it has both of the 3G frequencies (850 and 1900 MHz) Fido/Rogers uses rather than just the one frequency in the first phone (850 MHz). That said, I'm not sure whether AWS compatibility is required for the 3G network as it seems to be for the LTE network.

I know this answer doesn't really help in determining which phone will definitely work on the network. Both phones might work. The second phone would have the better coverage and download speeds because of the two frequencies if it does work.

I hope someone else can provide a more definitive answer for you.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 6
MVP
MVP

@Wufai wrote:

If it says WCDMA it will not work on Fido network.

Hello,

WCDMA is the same as UMTS

http://www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3?term=wcdma

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 6