cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a new phone under the same plan?

MariaSee
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hey everyone! I just have a complicated question. I currently have a Blackberry Curve (which is oh so old now), and I've been meaning to switch to an Android phone locked to Fido. Can I use my Blackberry plan with an Android phone? My plan is not expiring until late 2014 and I don't want to pay a cancellation fee. I just want to make sure that if I were to get a new phone, my plan will still work with it. Do I just need a microSIM card? 

4 REPLIES 4

I believe that will work just fine. The reverse is more of a problem, as you have to switch to a BlackBerry plan to get all your emails, internet access, etc. To go to an android shouldn't require anything further than switching to a micro sim card as you stated. Should be a go! I just tried it and it's not a problem. cheers

MariaSee
Thank you so so so much for your quick response! You're amazing! I will give it a go Smiley

credmau5
I'm Experienced Level 3
I'm Experienced Level 3

Yes, a "Blackberry plan" is just a regular plan that also includes access to BlackBerry servers for BIS email/BBm/etc. As long as your plan includes a data bucket (500MB/1GB/etc) then you can use it in any device. If you have a plan that only includes BlackBerry email, or the "social" data plan for Facebook/Messenger, it will only work in legacy BlackBerry devices.

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2
i had a blackberry data plan while using an andriod and have never had any issues. the only thing extra with the blackberry plan is the extra access to the blackberry servers, other than that the data is identical.