Uploading photos to Facebook with Vivaz Pro (web publishing)

SOLVED
I'm a Participant Level 1

Looking on the Sony Ericsson website, it says that the feature to take photos and send them straight to my personal website or blog is available.

I have been trying to use the web publishing application that came with my Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro (Menu>apps>Web Pub.). However, when I click on any of the web albums it says "Cannot edit a web album service."
Another way I have tried to  upload photos to Facebook is through the Media app. I should be able to tap on the message icon and then on "To Web". However, this "To Web" option is not available.

I have checked to see that I have the latest software in my phone through the Sony Ericsson website (Update Service) and everything is up to date. I have also been going through the Sony Ericsson Support discussion boards to find out what the issue may be. The only response that has been given by the Sony Ericsson Answers team in regards to this issue is that it "might be due to a customization limit" and to "check with your dealer about this."

PLEASE Fido, help me resolve this issue!

Accepted Solution

Re: Uploading photos to Facebook with Vivaz Pro (web publishing)

Solved by I'm a Participant Level 3 cRossOver

Uploading photos / videos to your facebook account:

The only way to upload a photo / video on to your facebook account from the Vivaz Pro is by sending your photo / video through e-mail to a personalized e-mail address provided by facebook.

To find out your personalized facebook email address:

Login your facebook then go - Account > Account Settings, click on the “Mobile” tab, click on “Go to facebook mobile”, then in the middle of the page it will show your personalized facebook email.

Remember to send your photo / video to your facebook email address, by “email” only. (i.e., when you are in Media app. viewing your photos/videos, click on the little “envelope” icon, then choose send “via email”) Do not try to send it through MMS, I have tried this and won’t work. It will give you an error message on the phone saying something like,” it cannot be sent”. Despite, some facebook help pages saying that we can send it through either MMS/email but for some reasons sending through MMS does not work, at least not on the Vivaz Pro.

And… certainly, Fido charges you for sending emails... But seems like this is the only way to do it on the Vivaz Pro at the moment.

Note: Make sure you have properly set up your email settings on the Vivaz Pro & data connections (data pack / WiFi) for this to work. For information on setting up email see the follow post.

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Other_mobile_phones/message-id/664/highlight/true#M664

"Web publishing":

As for the "Web publishing" feature we are seeing in the "Apps" folder; we cannot actually use the service directly from there, is for setting up any "new online album service" only (if you click on options you will be able to choose to set up a new service). The "Web publishing" feature is actually running in the background when you start using any one of the online album service you have setup (e.g. facebook, flickr). It sounds confusing but read on and you will see what I mean.

To actually make use of the "Web publishing" services:

If you go to the "Media" app. > Web albums > pick a service, say, facebook > then login with your facebook account & wait a moment for updaing, then it will shows all the photos in your facebook account by catagories. This is when "Web publishing" service start running in the background. 

Anyhow, I am only able to make use of Web albums to "view" photos which are already in my facebook account but not able to "upload/post" anything. I haven't tried the flickr service yet, but I suppose it will be the same.. =(

Like you, I thought there was a build-in feature/app. on the Vivaz Pro, which allows you to post photos / videos onto facebook, not through emails (that’s how Sony Ericsson advertises when I read about this handset originally), but it seems like it is not the case. It is possible that the Vivaz Pro handsets we are getting here in Canada is the North American version – “U8a” (loaded with North American OS on the phone), which restricts/took away certain original features. This is just what I am thinking since I know it is a norm in the mobile industry which they have different OS versions for different regions for the same handset model due to local regulations or arrangements with the local mobile service carriers. Oh well...

View solution in context
10 REPLIES 10
I'm a Participant Level 3

Uploading photos / videos to your facebook account:

The only way to upload a photo / video on to your facebook account from the Vivaz Pro is by sending your photo / video through e-mail to a personalized e-mail address provided by facebook.

To find out your personalized facebook email address:

Login your facebook then go - Account > Account Settings, click on the “Mobile” tab, click on “Go to facebook mobile”, then in the middle of the page it will show your personalized facebook email.

Remember to send your photo / video to your facebook email address, by “email” only. (i.e., when you are in Media app. viewing your photos/videos, click on the little “envelope” icon, then choose send “via email”) Do not try to send it through MMS, I have tried this and won’t work. It will give you an error message on the phone saying something like,” it cannot be sent”. Despite, some facebook help pages saying that we can send it through either MMS/email but for some reasons sending through MMS does not work, at least not on the Vivaz Pro.

And… certainly, Fido charges you for sending emails... But seems like this is the only way to do it on the Vivaz Pro at the moment.

Note: Make sure you have properly set up your email settings on the Vivaz Pro & data connections (data pack / WiFi) for this to work. For information on setting up email see the follow post.

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Other_mobile_phones/message-id/664/highlight...

"Web publishing":

As for the "Web publishing" feature we are seeing in the "Apps" folder; we cannot actually use the service directly from there, is for setting up any "new online album service" only (if you click on options you will be able to choose to set up a new service). The "Web publishing" feature is actually running in the background when you start using any one of the online album service you have setup (e.g. facebook, flickr). It sounds confusing but read on and you will see what I mean.

To actually make use of the "Web publishing" services:

If you go to the "Media" app. > Web albums > pick a service, say, facebook > then login with your facebook account & wait a moment for updaing, then it will shows all the photos in your facebook account by catagories. This is when "Web publishing" service start running in the background. 

Anyhow, I am only able to make use of Web albums to "view" photos which are already in my facebook account but not able to "upload/post" anything. I haven't tried the flickr service yet, but I suppose it will be the same.. =(

Like you, I thought there was a build-in feature/app. on the Vivaz Pro, which allows you to post photos / videos onto facebook, not through emails (that’s how Sony Ericsson advertises when I read about this handset originally), but it seems like it is not the case. It is possible that the Vivaz Pro handsets we are getting here in Canada is the North American version – “U8a” (loaded with North American OS on the phone), which restricts/took away certain original features. This is just what I am thinking since I know it is a norm in the mobile industry which they have different OS versions for different regions for the same handset model due to local regulations or arrangements with the local mobile service carriers. Oh well...

@    nicely done....

Smiley

NOTE TO MODERATOR : this thread should be placed in a special FAQ section....

I think Fido should fix this problem for us~!
Since one of the KEY advertising feature of the phone is uploading video to youtube and to other website.
Even the promotional video come with the phone suggest it can upload video,
but obviously, Vivaz fail us on this feature.

On the other hand, the phone IS able to upload video, but i believe the video size is only up to 20MB...and u can do it by only using the internal Email function..

Nevertheless, 20MB is not much for a HD video..

Should this consider as a false-advertisment??

If i know about this flaw, i won't choose this phone, and i won't choose Fido.

Hi,

I'm having the same exact problem as you.... considering that in this youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZ3dTs4Zj8

It shows being able to upload pics/vids straight to the web with some mythical function, you would expect that the phone to do it. But i think you're right about that region thing.. maybe the phones in Canada can't do it.

make.believe..

yeah make believe your phones do things they actually can't. Thanks sony ercisson. 

Any solution to this issue?

Former Moderator

If you send an MMS, the picture should automatically be sent to your online album.

You are normally sent a text message and link to the website. The website is : www.fido.ca/mypictures

If you forgot your account info you can use the forgot password option to have the password sent to you.

Also, according to the Fido site:

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/messaging/mms?lang=en

IMPORTANT MESSAGE: THE FIDO ON-LINE PICTURE AND VIDEO MESSAGING ALBUM IS BEING SHUT DOWN

Please note that on March 15, 2011, we will be discontinuing the On-line Picture and Video Messaging album service. If you are currently using your online album on Fido.ca, please make sure you back up everything in your online album and save it to an alternative location (i.e. your computer) before March 15, 2011 to avoid losing your pictures and videos. You can log into your online album at picturemessaging.fido.ca. Also note that as of January 11, 2011, no new content may be transferred to or stored in the online album. All other aspects of your Fido service(s) remain unchanged.

So what does "Publish online." mean?  That was one of the selling point for his phone and it doesn't seem to perform the way it should.

Former Moderator

Hi oio,

Are you able to access the internet? Do you have a smartphone data plan?

If you haven't done so already, have you tried removing and re-inserting your battery?

You can also reach SE directly at 1-866-766-9374 to see if there is anything specific to configure.

I would like to upload the photo to Facebook, not to the Fido online picture and video album.  Is there a way to do this?  I know it can be done because that's how the phone was marketed by SE.

I'm Qualified Level 1

Are you able to access the internet with your device ???